Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 AM

811 posts, read 811,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Should this be limited to things we (homeowners) did ourselves, as opposed to hiring some contractor and simply writing a check.
List both
Just mention what you did and what was done by someone else

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,706,286 times
Painted the kitchen for the (est) 10th time. Don't like it and will be doing another color on the next few days.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,368,290 times
This year:
-Painted most of our unit. LR/Office/Bedroom.
-Replaced light fixture, outlets/plates and door knobs in bedroom.

Last Few Weeks:
-Replaced outlets/plates in LR/Office.
-Added curtain rods/curtains to the LR.

We actually have A LOT planned for the future including:
-Renovate bathroom.
-Renovate kitchen.
-Take down ugly track lighting in LR.
-Possibly replace baseboard.
-Probably change all of the doors/doorknobs.
ET CETERA

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,486,527 times
I love doing small DIY's and try to have a project going all the time. One thing I did recently was to frame the bathroom mirror in my powder room. It was just a big sheet of glass, and I measured, cut, painted, and created a frame for it. It was really simple to do, and I think it made a big improvement.

Some recent things that I've had done by professionals:
Had a big tree that had been struck by lightning cut down - pretty scary since it was close to the house
Replaced old walkway lights with new ones
Replaced several light fixtures - trying to slowly get rid of the polished brass

Things that I'm plotting and scheming to do, which I do a lot :
Paint the front porch with Restore-It - waiting for it to get a little cooler
Figure out some way to get grass to grow in a shady spot in my yard or figure out some way to combine pavers and groundcover to make it look better

Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,519,519 times
We built our house in 1995-96 - and this is its year for the inside to be "refreshed". Multiple projects. New floor coverings. Painting. Total blind cleaning. All done by others.

Got rid of some furniture - and bought some new stuff. Also am having some things reupholstered.

Today the plumbers were here to replace all the master bedroom shower fixtures (Moen replaced the old parts under its "lifetime guaranty" - they were old and corroded and not working very well - too bad the "lifetime guaranty" doesn't include what the plumber charges!). They look so new and shiny I'm afraid to use the shower .

One thing I did myself. We have "architectural" electrical plates (Lutron Lumea). Removed all of them and cleaned them. Replaced those that had changed from white to yellow (don't know why some turned yellow and others didn't - think it had something to do with sun exposure - but am not sure - the ones that had yellowed looked *very* yellow after repainting). Also wiped down all electrical outlets/switches with alcohol on cotton swabs - gave them a good cleaning. Took some time - but they all look good as new now.

Probably forgot a few things. We're talking about many projects over a period of about 6 months. I can tell you one thing about 4 months into the process. When you spruce up one thing - it makes something else look old and dingy! Robyn

Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,519,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
sorry if this has already been asked but I thought it'd be interesting and helpful to see what people have done to their place

post what all you did and any costs involved (time and money)

1. I recently fixed a light switch that had a bad connection on one of the hot wire screws that was preventing the 2-way switch from turning the lights off/on correctly, no cost but time (about 15 minutes)

2. fixed the light on my garage door opener, the metal contacts needed bent slightly to touch the bottom of the bulb, no cost but time (10 minutes)

next up
hoping to fix my a/c, 2 bad outlets and a leaky ice maker

PS by recent I mean within the last 2 weeks
And just FWIW - when we have the kind of issues you mentioned - minor things breaking (or even major ones like the A/C system) - we get them fixed/replaced ASAP after we discover the problem. Robyn

Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 AM

50,398 posts, read 64,106,567 times
Hubby replaced 80s vinyl in guest bath with tile. Now, he is finishing up install of wood floor in hall foyer and living room.
We have one more room to paint and that will be it for awhile.
At some point, we want to do some major bathroom remodels, but we can live with what we have for awhile.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,434,338 times
This house is a total fixer upper, the latest job was to demolish the kitchen wall into the living/dining room to open it up.
We also spent 2 hours on Saturday with a jackhammer demolishing the fireplace and hearth which were 6x8ft in size with ironstone bricks on the top and engineer bricks around the sides and on the back wall all filled in with 4inches of solid concrete. Turns out the previous owner worked for the local concrete company which in some ways is great but that fireplace .. ohh my it was ugly and it had to go !

Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,524,125 times
Gutted a tile shower stall due to termites. And redid the whole thing, studs, walls and all. One of these days we'll get to use it.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,556,700 times
Replaced an outdoor motion sensing light with a LED version. The old light stayed on all the time so I had unscrewed the bulbs over the summer. We replaced a pot light in a hall with another LED light about a month ago and since it was much brighter, I replaced the switch with a dimmer. I also replaced an outlet that used the same box as the switch.

At my son's house, we felled a tree. We had an experienced tree climber/faller take down a double topped tree, since one top leaned toward the house and the intertwined branches needed to be trimmed off first. The branches also kept the tree we dropped up, but we were able to jack it over.

Oh, and we replaced the thermostat on my son's water heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House