Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:13 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
EVERY single company I got an estimate from told me that choosing a darker colored surface results in slightly higher pool temperatures than a white...
They lied. Oh, excuse me- they mis-spoke because they're pool salesmen not engineers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
HWtechguy is correct: darker pools are warmer: basic thermodynamics. .
Thermodynamics? Really? If the water was a couple of inches deep; yeah OK, I'll give ya that. But do you realize that soil temps become more stable the deeper you go? That's "thermal mass".

Now, if it were an above ground pool...
Now we're talking something different.

If anything, dark bottom pools psychologically have a warming effect-
As I previously stated, any actual temperature difference is so insignificant that you'd need a thermometer to actually know there is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM

17,373 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Dark pools are not any warmer than a blue pool......They both will be cold in the winter and need to be heated. Dark pools can be tough on resale on the house though, not everyone appreciates them.

Same goes for black interior cars vs. lighter.......Studies have been done on car lots and found no difference in interior temps on a hot day.

Solar is expensive for the poor results.....avg temp increase is 7 degrees so if your pool is 60 and now it picks up 7 degrees (67) then it is still too cold to use. Panels are excluded from windstorm insurance also (hurricane blows them off the roof then no coverage). It will make your pool very warm in the summer (yeah when it is not needed) and it essentially extends your swimming season but you will not be using a warm pool at Christmas!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Why bother building the ultimate pool, just buy this house with 3 pools!

72.5mm and a million gallon waterpark (Celine Dion's house on Jupiter Island)

Jupiter Island, Florida - YouTube

Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
[

Salt water vs Chlorine?

Salt water is still chlorine. The machine turns the salt into chlorine. The sun turns the chlorine into salt and so on. However it does have less chlorine than a hard water pool. Because your body is saline based, the salt water is much more gentle on your eyes and skin, especially your eyes. It is nto very salty at all, you can barely taste it.

Concrete vs Fiber (I'm concerned that because it is a brand new lot we are building on and the ground may not be as stable, we may have issues with the pool down the road)

We went with Vinyl. You have to replace the liner slightly more often, but the cost of a new liner is comparatively tiny. If high water pushes up your vinyl liner, you pump the water out form under it and swim. If ground water cracks a concrete pool or floats a fiberglass pool, you call your mortgage broker for a second. Concrete requires the most chemicals for upkeep, fiberglass requires the least. Vinyl is int he middle. Dogs claws (and bicycles) and cut holes in a vinyl liner. They may scratch fiberglass which looks bad but does not hurt anything. They will not hurt concrete. Concrete is way more expensive than vinyl. I think concrete and fiberglass are close. Fiber is a bit more expensive (or was). Concrete and vinyl pools can be any shape, size or configuration you choose. Vinyl does have depth limitations. Fiberglass is very limited in size, shape and depth. They are premade, so you cannot really customize the shape and size, you pick from pre-selected shapes and sizes (unless you are a billionaire). Vinyl will eventually get some wrinkles in the bottom and not look as good, but it looks fine until then. However nothing looks as good as tile IMO. Pool installers will often push concrete becuase it is what they know best. It has been the most common material for ages. Kind of like plumbers pushing copper plumbing because they are afraid of PEX. I think concrete is out of date and will not be around that much longer.

If the ground is unstable because you are on a hill, then you woudl be crazy to put in a pool without geotechnical engineering. Some people end up making their house slide down the hill and then try to blame the builder.

Concrete floor around the pool or pavers?

Concrete base is the cheapest. Stamped concrete is a bit more expensive but looks much nicer. Pavers over concrete cost more. I would not do paver over sand/earth. You will have problems. There are also poured rubberized surfaces, and something called a "california" deck which drains the water back into the pool. It is some sort of plastic beads kind of mushed together. Makes a great walking surface, very expensive. We just used concrete. Stamped concrete was too expensive. Colored concrete costs very little, but we did not bother with that.

What is the best color for the pool? Do dark pools warm up quicker than lighter colored ones? We have 2 kids and they like their pool water to be warm.

Makes no difference. A solar cover will help capture the heat from the sun. A 210,000 BTU gas heater will help it stay warm a lot more.

What kind of heating system is the best? My parents have a solar system where the water goes up on the roof, gets heated by the sun and down into the pool it goes. Are there any alternatives and what are pros and cons?

My sister had a home made system like that. Simply black hose zig zagged over the roof and the returned to the pool, a small $25 pump was sufficient to flow the water through slowly enough to heat it on sunny days (no heat on cloudy days). Sometimes they had to turn it off, the pool got too warm. Be careful about the weight on your roof, but it should not be a problem it is pretty spread out. If that causes failure than so will snow or wind.

We have a 210,000 BTu gas heater. When it is cold, it costs about $75 to heat up the pool and takes three days and it costs about $5 a day to keep it warm if you keep it covered (about five to ten times that if you leave the cover off). As it gets 10 degrees colder each month, the cost of keeping it warm roughly doubles. Surprisingly, the cost of heating it up only changes a little.

Any other pros and cons are there to consider? and any questions I should be asking as we are meeting with the pool companies to get the quotes?

What type of bottom do you want? Flat bottom, sport bottom, dive pool? Dive pools with a board may jack up your insurance, or you may have to find new insurance. We got sport bottom and we like it. It is deep enough in the middle to cover most of an adult (5'8" I think), but shallow enough around the edges to allow little kids to stand up. It is gradual enough we can play volleyball and piggy back wars without falling too often. It is deep enough for a slide, but way too shallow for diving.

Get sand filtration. Slightly more work, but by far the best results for the dollar. Cartidge filters are mongo costlyto maintain, but not as much work. Get a pool dolphin (or equivalent) this is a robot that cleans your pool for you. It make pool ownership not hellish. Costs about $800 on sale. You will have to replace the salt/chlorine generator cartridge every three to five years. The pool stores will charge you $800, you can get one on the internet for $350.

If you must winterize, just pay a pro to do it. There are too many ways you can mess up if you DIY, and while you might save $300 vs. pro winterizing, you can easily cost yourself thousands if you mess up. Use a pool store that is well established and long lived. The one that opened last year or two years ago is more likely to be gone next year.

Pool stores will try to sell oyu all kinds of chemicals you do not need. That is where they make their money. One thing we do is we use non-iodized 98.5% pure water softener salt. Pool store salt is 98.8% pure and costs 10 times more.

Pool companies will push you towards whatever they normally sell. They do NOT give you neutral advice in your best interest. They say and pretend to do so, but if they are a fiberglass installer, they will push you that way and tell you the others are bad. Do your own research and take everything with a grain of salt. Nothing its neutral.

Pools cost a lot!. Ours was about $35,000 not including the greenhouse thing. It increases the value of your home $0. It makes far more sense to buy a home with a pool already installed. That way, you pay $0. $0 is better than $35,000 for most people unless you are dumb like us.

We have a community pool. We still maintained our membership most years for the social aspects of it, but it is really nice to be able to come home change and jump in the pool with the kids for an hour or two. Complete privacy, no one to judge your farmer tan or belly. No hours swim all night if you wish. No rules, you can jump, splash even pee in the pool if you want to for some weird reason. Swimsuits are optional. It is an expensive luxury, but it is really nice. During summers we typically had kids in our pool every day. Sometimes pretty much all day (different groups of kids at different times). We had as many as 30 - 40 kids in the pool at times.

generally kids just want to splash and play and cool off. they are not looking to swim laps like an Olympian. IF you want to be able to swim laps, you need a long pool. Ours is 40' long and that is not nearly enough. Two or three strokes and turn, two or three strokes and turn. If you want laps, go at least 60 feet long or get one of those endless pools.

Slides are really cool, but also expensive. Ours was about $3000.

We have an Americover cover. It is neat, but you do not even want to know how expensive it was. You still cannot swim all year round in Michigan with it, but we swim through October, heat it up for thanksgiving and sometimes Christmas break.

Things break and you have to replace and fix them. It is not just buying the pool and then some chemicals and water.

teach your dog to love the pool. Everyone will love swimming even more if the dog takes a flying leap off the deck once in a while.

I hope I did not already say all this in your other thread.Pools: Seeking your input-capture2.jpg

Old 08-26-2013, 03:28 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisescorpiogirl View Post
As mentioned in another thread we are getting ready to sign papers with the builder to build a house in FL.
We are also looking into having a pool. Not sure if we'd end up with a pool right when we move in, or if it will come in somewhat later, but I'd like to pick your brain with your experiences and thoughts on pools.

Salt water vs Chlorine?
Concrete vs Fiber (I'm concerned that because it is a brand new lot we are building on and the ground may not be as stable, we may have issues with the pool down the road)
What is the best color for the pool? Do dark pools warm up quicker than lighter colored ones? We have 2 kids and they like their pool water to be warm.
What kind of heating system is the best? My parents have a solar system where the water goes up on the roof, gets heated by the sun and down into the pool it goes. Are there any alternatives and what are pros and cons?
Any other pros and cons are there to consider? and any questions I should be asking as we are meeting with the pool companies to get the quotes?

Appreciate your input!
I can't help with anything FL-specific, but I can say I disagree with some of the advice you have already been given. (For example, what type of filter to use and why.) Rather than just provide another opinion, (mine), you may want to browse here. It's the very best pool site I've found on the net by far and should address any and all of your questions, including ones specific to your location.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM

8,080 posts, read 10,097,510 times
Vinyl......especially because you are concerned about your ground stability. Vinyl is softer on the feet--real nice. Much lower cost to clean/maintain.

Color....blue/light blue. Just a very attractive and pleasing color, especially when the water is in which tends to make it look ever so slightly lighter.

Heater....depends on your local cost of gas versus electricity. I chose gas, and used a solar cover (PIA) to maintain the temp.

Salt/chlorine...go with fresh water and Baquasil (or the generic)...a synthetic chlorine. NO smell; nice water, use a lot less product, slightly higher cost.

Lighting in the pool? Traditional lights look very classy. Colored stuff they will try to sell you looks goofy. Nice traditional aluminum (low maintenance) or steel fence around it looks good. Sand filter (do NOT go with paper filters). Diving board. Stairs out on one end, in addition to a ladder on the deep end. Robot pool cleaner...there is a name for them--they work off the pools filtration/water recycling system and 'automatically' wander around the pool cleaning the slime/mold/junk that invariably gets in there. If you close it up in the off-season, get a good (custom) cover which fastens tightly to the deck and is sized to fit your exact pool configuration.

Pool are the greatest/worst thing you will ever add to your home. Nothing like it on a hot day when you wish to cool off and relax. Nothing worse when the thing turns green, the filter is backed up, and the kids are yammering because they can't go in.

Oh...deck...concrete, with a 'cool deck' finish, which is ground marble (which stays cool) in a color of your choice. VERY nice to get in/out of the water without burning your feet. It goes down on top of the concrete. Anything else (like pavers=weeds) is a hassle.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
[

Salt water vs Chlorine?

Salt water is still chlorine. The machine turns the salt into chlorine. The sun turns the chlorine into salt and so on. However it does have less chlorine than a hard water pool. Because your body is saline based, the salt water is much more gentle on your eyes and skin, especially your eyes. It is nto very salty at all, you can barely taste it.

.Attachment 116989

There are some truths and some myths in your statement. The sun does not turn chlorine into salt......when the pool needs more salt you have to add more bags. Some generators will produce large amounts of chlorine so it can have the same readings if you desire high chlorine. Saline based body = more gentle on eyes/skin......ummm no. The salt generators typically run on lower dosages of chlorine, they make a couple pints a day vs. bombing the pool with high dosages of liquid chlorine or tablets/shock. If the typical homeowner went out daily and put low dosages of chlorine products in the pool then the pool could survive on low constant dosages like the salt systems provide.

The other consideration under heating the pool is simply using a larger heater. A 210K BTU heater is small for a full size pool so it has to run longer than say a 399K BTU unit. The cost difference is only a couple hundred dollars upfront despite being almost twice the output.

The rest of your info was pretty good!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,519,519 times
Quote:
As mentioned in another thread we are getting ready to sign papers with the builder to build a house in FL.
We are also looking into having a pool. Not sure if we'd end up with a pool right when we move in, or if it will come in somewhat later, but I'd like to pick your brain with your experiences and thoughts on pools.

Salt water vs Chlorine?

Appreciate your input!
Where in Florida are you moving? You have previously expressed some interest in HOAs in north Florida. Most will not allow vinyl pools.

Also - our pool season here is during the summer. You'll need a pool heater if you want more than about 4-5 months a year of "pool season". And forget about it in the winter - when it's cold. Note that solar may not be the best option because of windstorm concerns and solar panels on the roof.

I personally would not put in a pool here in north Florida. Robyn

Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,836,164 times
Having owned a vinyl pool in the past and now having a concrete pool, you couldn't pay me to do vinyl again. And, as has already been pointed out here in FL they are not allowed in some areas.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,519,519 times
Quote:

Salt water vs Chlorine?

Appreciate your input!
BTW - I don't know about anywhere except Florida. But - if you're building in Florida - pay the couple of hundred bucks to get soil borings before you build/sign any contracts to build. There are a lot of houses here that are built on muck - and most builders won't pay the $$$ to demuck a piece of property properly - and/or to install pilings when necessary. If you suspect the ground around any pool might not be stable - what about your house!!!! Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House