Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times

Advertisements

Use 20 Mule Team Borax, even sezs so on the box, that this is a good solution. Put it dry on a scrubbie, wet the walls, tile, etc beforehand. Works quick and easy, plus is very cheap.

I use it on the tub surround and tile above it. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times
The best thing I researched and found that really works on soap scum is Cascade dishwasher detergent. It has degreaser in it which cuts through the soap. I had a thick build up around the tub when we moved into our house...it worked great!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
In my business, I use a spray degreaser, and a magic eraser....works miracles!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

164 posts, read 652,729 times
Oh my I didn't even look at my post until today sooooooooooooooo funny tilex soap and scum hehe

Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Magic Eraser is the ONLY way to go, IMHO. You don't even need any cleanser, especially with the ones with soap built in. I would never go back to anything else for my tub. It's so easy, erases just like a pencil eraser does! If you use it weekly, it's really quick & easy!

Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 AM

369 posts, read 325,547 times
After you've gone to all that work to get spotless shiny tiles, spray and rub in RainX. It's made for vehicle glass. It penetrates into the surface and everything slides off like a bounced check. Then after every shower do a half hearted wipe down w/ a towel. They will shine for months.
I've not used it on the floor tiles as it's very slick, you can see the results immediately.
Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I need to clean the soap scum in my shower. It's on the walls of the shower and on the glass. What is the best product to buy for soap scum? I hate cleaning. I would love to know if there is product out there that you just spray and let sit, then rinse off and it really works without having to scrub? What's your favorite product for this?
Take a spray bottle and add about 1/3 to 1/2 white vinegar. Add hot water and a drop or two of Dawn dish washing detergent. Spray the glass and shower and let it sit a bit then use one of those red scrub pads you find in the cleaning isle of the grocery store where the glass top stove cleaners are and scrub down the walls and glass. Oh and while in that isle pick up Barkeepers Friend, it is good on tub surfaces and stove tops. If the vinegar solution doesn't do that use the Barkeepers Friend and scrub then follow up with the vinegar again and use a squeegee to dry. Keep a squeegee in the shower to use after every shower and you will have less soap scum buildup. Spray once a week with the vinegar solution will keep soap scum at bay.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Hubby took the glass door off and used a very harsh abrasive to get the soap scum off. Once it was done, we squeegee it off every time we shower, and it stays clear.
I dont know about the tiles, since they’re white, the scum doesn’t show, and my main issue is keeping mold off the grout.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
A little off topic....my housecleaner told me that Dove soap leaves less soap scum than other brands.....just a tip:-)

Also, she just uses Fabuloso, Scrubbing Bubbles and a good scrubbing pad:-)
I stopped buying soap and only use 'body wash' or liquid hand soap. End of soap scum. My mom was buying a bar of soap in Walmart last week and I realized I hadn't bought a bar of soap in 20 years!

To remove it I think scrubbing with a scotchbrite kind of pad is the best. I have a scrub brush that is part brush and part pad. I use that for a lot of things.

I also use CLR in my bathtub (Calcium/Lime/Rust remover) because I get reddish stains in places where I guess the porcelain is getting old.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
A mixture of vinegar, liquid detergent and water works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House