Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, it look like I will be in pursuit of a stove in the near future. After contemplating gas, pellet or wood stoves, I think I will go wood. Can you help me with the latest greatest on stoves. It will be for a single level, 2000' sq ft house. I am thinking a glass front for ambience as well. Chose wood because of possible inflation costs of electricity to run the other kinds. Also, if the power goes out, then I still have a heat source.

With that said, I saw wood stoves with and without blowers on them. What brands would you recommend and I am still debating having the pipe stack run up through the roof or side venting it out a wall to the outside. I have the option to do either.

Any brands you have been happy with would help and approximate costs for that model.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
This site has a ton of info.....

Hearth.com Forums Home

I just upgraded my wood stove insert last Spring.....went with an Osburn 2000 with nickel faceplate trim was ~ $2000...

Wood stoves heaters

If you run the flu pipe through the roof, you get the advantage of the heat radiated, warmer flue for less creosote build up, possibly cheaper....

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
I too would run it out the roof.

I strongly suggest a blower. It will help circulate the heat.

Here's a list of EPA "approved" wood stoves. There are many good stoves not on the list but I'd get one that meets the emission standards.
http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resour...tifiedwood.pdf

I'd also let your homeowner's insurance company know that you're putting one in.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If you are in the northeast consider coal too, lot less work, safer etc. . Harman has a model that can "legally" burn wood or coal as another option. If you are going to consider coal carefully research anything labeled dual fuel becsue they are typically wood stoves that do not work well with coal at all. The TLC is one exception. Also note you can burn wood in most coal stoves but becsue of EPA regs they can't be labeled dual fuel.

TLC 2000 Coal Stove

Harman makes a great product but their support is lackluster, it's all through the dealer.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
I bought my natural gas stove for my bedroom here:
eFireplaceStore - The Ultimate Fireplace & Hearth Store

Below 32 F this morning, but my room is a toasty warm 75+.

I had wood burning for over 25 years, and the heat from the gas is not as hot I have no more mess to deal with. If you're young, and have kids it's a great family activity.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
This site has a ton of info.....

Hearth.com Forums Home
This...

Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Help choosing new wood stove

Hey Folks needs some advice on choosing a new stove. I figure I would send this out to some of our colder states to get some feedback. Going into a single story, 2000 foot house. Wanting a reliable, non fussy brand and model that isn't an arm and a leg. Can you tell me what you have good luck with. Seems every dealer I have been in out here says "theirs" is the best....naturally. Still flexing between a steel, cast or porcelain enamel fish. Are their pros and cons to those finishes?

Old 10-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Default Help choosing a wood stove.

Hey folks, need some help picking the right stove for my single story 2000' house. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but want a well made, reliable, non fussy wood stove. Still open as to steel, cast or enamel finishes...does it matter? Please let me know what you have had success with, brand and model. Thank you.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
With the latest EPA Woodstove approval list just out, you need to consider only those woodstoves/models that are on the list.

Many quality stoves of years past do not qualify anymore for these late emissions standards. Be sure to see the new EPA compliant labeling on the stove or be certain before you buy it that it is one of the approved models.

I would choose the simpler stoves rather than the catalytic models.

I prefer cast iron stoves, and have used Waterford and Jotul stoves for decades. But neither is an inexpensive stove.

Steel stoves will be the least expensive, but they typically don't hold up as well as the heavier quality cast iron stoves.

Porcelain finishes are cosmetically nice (and I have them on my Waterford stoves), but they don't necessarily perform any better than plain. The porcelain will add significantly to the cost of a stove.

Be sure that you buy from a store that can properly advise you on the install requirements. For example, I live in a fairly windy location and a simple flue pipe won't do the job, you need a windbeater cap and a properly sized flue to draft correctly. I went to 8 different stores before I found somebody who could figure out why my stove backdrafted in the winds; we had a too-big diameter flue pipe and a conventional rain cap which didn't draft properly in cold temps and strong winds.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Hey folks, need some help picking the right stove for my single story 2000' house.
Is this about the "romance" of an occasional fire or about producing heat for the house?
And do you already have a flue/chimney and floor/wall spot prepared etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House