Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 9,460 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Here are pictures of the windows of my apartment. I can use suggestions and help figuring out what to do with treatments.

There are a few challenges with the windows..One is the radiator under the window on the left and I am unsure how I might mount a bracket on the top of the left window.

I am considering wood blinds with some sort of valance..

I know this is a wide open question but ideas or links would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with window treatments needed!-image.jpeg   Help with window treatments needed!-image-2.jpeg   Help with window treatments needed!-photo.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
First of all--great views!!

After many homes with wood blinds I have actually decided that I am sick of them. Some of our windows still have them but I'm going more toward Roman Shades now. They do not get nearly as dusty and we have pretty windows with nice views so I really enjoy releasing the shade so it is all the way to the top during the day. I actually purchased one of the new cordless ones from Pottery Barn and it is beautiful, very sturdy and I love it. I think it was about $160. Our home is older and has some unique features, large trees outside, etc. and I love that when the shade is all the way open I can see so much outside. I had some Roman Shades in my last house too and really like the look and functionality. With this house I plan to gradually change out treatments to Roman Shades or drapes. Can you tell I'm sick of blinds??

It works with our house because we don't really have any neighbors super close and the front of our house doesn't face another house. If you like privacy during the day this may not be a good option for you because they are either open or closed. I think they do add a lot of style and character to a room though.

I think Roman Shades would work well with your windows if you decide against blinds. For privacy at night you may need to pull it slightly over your radiator to get a complete block of the window so I am not sure that would be safe but maybe you can just pull it down to the top of where the radiator meets the window?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the post..I am leaning towards wood blinds with valance...I guess the thing about Roman shades is the all or nothing on the light...and I guess maybe I am used to adjusting the blinds and the amount of light coming in.

The way it is now is with cheesy mini blinds but I am signing a new lease and it's time for a change..

Still not 100% sure and I will look at Pottery Barn now!

The windows are about 55" wide and 84" long...(longer than what I see so far on their site) but good option to think about!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
This would have been a great subject matter for the Interior Design and Decorating Forum.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 AM

192 posts, read 403,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
First of all--great views!!
I completely agree! If you don't mind my asking, what city are you in? (I'm an architecture buff.)

Have you considered Cellular Shades? If you look second picture (with the wicker table in the center) it is showing you shades that have two portions to them. There is your darker main component then the lighter portion is a much more transparent solar shade that lets light in but blocks people from seeing in. I have seen these in person and they are beautiful, I would actually prefer them to blinds as you can get the light without losing privacy and you can still always open them all the way. Also they open from the bottom up or top down to control the light direction and privacy.

Also cellular shades stay in place very well so you don't have to worry about vertical adjustment, you just pull them down as much as you need them. (I can vouch for that, I have these identical shades just without the solar portion in my own house and have for several years, in fact we just are in the process of installing them in our new house.)

Cellular Shades Keene, New Hampshire - Honeycomb Window Shade | Budget Blinds

(BTW, the ones I saw in person actually were the opposite colors, so you're not limited to just a light-colored lining as shown here.)

Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the post! I still haven't decided but this helps me to start thinking again.

I'm in NYC on Park Avenue South.

I took a quick look at cellular shades and like how you can adjust the light...that's one thing I like about blinds and I am often tweaking them to get the right light into the room..

Hmm...going to look again!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
That's a great radiator cover, too bad it wasn't extended to fill the entire width. Can you do that or are renting? Great view, heavy large wood blinds would be nice. Do you have a color theme you are working with? Dark blinds might close in that room.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
That's a great radiator cover, too bad it wasn't extended to fill the entire width. Can you do that or are renting? Great view, heavy large wood blinds would be nice. Do you have a color theme you are working with? Dark blinds might close in that room.
I like how you are thinking....I am renting but anything is doable and I've seen them make new covers all the time...I'll mention it to the super who has all the contacts..

I am starting to lean towards large heavy wood blinds as it goes with the type of look I like..I also do like the way you can adjust light with them...Def not dark blinds...Interesting to think of color...is white too boring?

Shopping now...i see they are not cheap...around $355 each for 2" and a bit over $440 for 2 1/2 inch @ Smith Noble.

Checking other sources and would appreciate feedback on best suppliers..it is a rental and $400 per blind seems a bit high ...

Last edited by Design714; 11-25-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Try Lowes or Menards, 400 is too much and do come in faux wood. White is MY favorite color and I would get them in a heartbeat.

The other bench would be great storage and extra seating with a cushion.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 PM

Maybe paint the radiators covers white to go with the molding trim. Unless the photo is skewed, I notice that the windows are not really equally spaced on the wall.
You can have the blinds inside the window or outside covering up the windows. The benches will need a piece of wood in the middle on the wall, painted the same to make it not so obvious that they are not the full width.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House