Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping some of you really clever Trianglelites (that I enjoy reading on this forum) might be able to guide me as to which home improvement project would be the smartest project to do at this time. Consider that this may be the only project we're able to do for quite a long while. OK, here goes...

Decent-sized house (3600 sq.ft) built in mid-80's on acre. Kitchen needs updating -- new countertops (granite/marble); new sink & faucet; paint; want to create larger island/eating area using granite; possibly install gas cooktop (get rid of electric unit) & install exhaust hood.
OR
Finish 850 sq. ft. attic and (ideally) add a 3/4 bath.
The huge problem is the cost of adding that bath exceeds our budget by at least $8-$10K. Don't have it. So, do we finish the attic now, increase our square footage with some fabulous play/entertainment space and add the bath when...ever...$$$$???

The kitchen is operable. It looks good. Cabinets are great. Appliances new and shiney. Could just slap on a coat of paint (after I finish tearing down the hideous wallpaper) and screw in new cabinet hardware and we can fake it for a few years...but it will need new countertops...soonish.

We don't plan on moving tomorrow -- we just moved in a few months ago so this home improvement thing is really just for us (but resale is always kind of hovering there, no?)

Hey, it's all good. This is not earth-shattering stuff but I thought perhaps I could pick some brains out there...Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Day feast with your favorite people around you. Thank you, Trianglelites...it's always a pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Is this even a question? The kitchen without a doubt.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I'm gonna say...the kitchen!!!

Find out what is "in" and go for it!

Vicki

Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times
Oh, you two...I'm smilin'.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
kitchen!! 3600 sq feet--i dont think you need any more square footage!

Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,323 times
Default Go with what YOU will enjoy!

A "finishable" attic is still valuable when it comes to resale. It may not be as valuable as finished space, but upper story square footage is less valuable than first floor square footage anyway. With a larger home like yours, extra SF isn't going to help much with resale. Don't add on unless YOU need it. If you have 3-4 bedrooms and at least 2.5 baths, you're fine.
A good kitchen, on the other hand is extremely important. Even more important is that you get to enjoy it now. Your idea of starting with small things is a good one. Paint is cheap and taking down wallpaper and painting is terrific, assuming the wallpaper can be removed easily. If it has been applied without any treatment of the sheetrock, you may have trouble with it. If so, there are solutions, including applying a thin layer of sheetrock over it. New hardware is great. Another relatively inexpensive change is new light fixtures, and maybe a new sink and faucet. (Please donate any of your old fixtures to Habitat for Humanity) If your cabinets are in good shape, try cleaning them thoroughly and then touching up any dings and waxing them, if they have a wood finish.
Granite can be very expensive, but a lot of home improvement stores are hurting for business right now. Try shopping and then bargaining.
Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
I will play devils advocate
If you spend 15k on your kitchen, the appraised value does not increase much(they will add a few grand for granite tops)
If you spend the money to finish your attic, the appraised value will go up substantially more for your dollar, you probably get most of your money back.
The points about the kitchen are definitely valid, and a nice kitchen always helps sell a house. My thoughts were merely about the money side of it....and well, I would personally add a nice theater room or recording studio with all that unfinished space lol.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
You have to look at the kitchen every day. How often will you go in and look at the attic?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Kitchen....if push comes to shove and you need to sell in a bind the kitchen is your most important selling point. The other kicker is why finish an attic for that extra space if you are NOT going to have the 3/4 bath. Finish the kitchen, save for the next few years and with that extra equity built since the market is going to rebound soon then you can do the attic and like everyone else said 3600 sq ft could be overkill in your neighborhood. Never be the biggest house on the block.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 AM

43 posts, read 182,665 times
I had the same question when it came time to put my house on the market in Philadelphia; do I finish the attic and increase the house by 800 sq ft or do i update the kitchen with new cabinets, countertops, and appliances. I spoke to many people, realtors, contractors, and friends, and the primary feedback was kitchen.

Kitchens have become a focal point for a house. I know this because when I was shopping down here, I wanted a kitchen that was not standard and made me feel like I would enjoy cooking all day and not think twice about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House