Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous that the OP's mailman actually delivers their mail everyday. Our house is one the last on the mailman's route and we constantly have him skipping our houses if it's late in the day. I figured out he did indeed skip our house because we've had more than one package marked as out for delivery (e.g. on the mail truck for delivery) that didn't make it to our house until a day or two after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
Angry USPS allowed to "Tip Toe through your Tulips!"

I am having the same problem. It's been over a year complaining and asking DO NO WALK ON GRASS OR THROUGH LANDSCAPING.
Well today I was informed by the USPS Customer Service that 11 months ago the ruling by the USPS was changed to: In order to delivery mail more quickly they are now allow to walk ANY WERE ON YOU PROPERTY. Over grass, etc.

if you do not want this: YOU MUST WRITE YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE A LETTER STATING THAT YOU DO NOT WANT THEM TO WALK ON GRASS OR THROUGH LANDSCAPING- ONLY ON DRIVEWAYS, , SIDEWALKS AND PATH TO YOU MAIL BOX! The P.O. is to post it so all mail carries can read it!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm jealous that the OP's mailman actually delivers their mail everyday. Our house is one the last on the mailman's route and we constantly have him skipping our houses if it's late in the day. I figured out he did indeed skip our house because we've had more than one package marked as out for delivery (e.g. on the mail truck for delivery) that didn't make it to our house until a day or two after.
You too? We put up with this all through this last winter but, interestingly, only on substitute day. The regular man always stuck it out until he delivered everything. Calling the supervisor did no good. He seemed to approve what the carrier had done.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
I don't understand, just speak with the mail carrier and ask him to walk on the walkway !!!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"It is right next to the sidewalk..." There's the problem. Stones next to a sidewalk are universally understood to be part of the walkway unless either the rock garden or the sidewalk are significantly distinguished from the other by a short wall, distinct elevations, a fence, a swath of ground cover, etc.
Then why does literally NO ONE except the mailman walk through it? It seems everyone else understands it is separate. The rock garden is between the house and the sidewalk. The sidewalk leads to the porch. It's pretty obvious that the sidewalk is for walking.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM

306 posts, read 550,381 times
Interesting thread, and I guess I see the point of the "shortest route" method... Makes me VERY HAPPY that all of our mailboxes in the neighborhood are on the street - It just makes sense that way for everyone involved...

Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Then why does literally NO ONE except the mailman walk through it?
Because the mailman is privileged.
Get over it.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Then why does literally NO ONE except the mailman walk through it? It seems everyone else understands it is separate. The rock garden is between the house and the sidewalk. The sidewalk leads to the porch. It's pretty obvious that the sidewalk is for walking.
I'll say it - because he's lazy and doesn't care and likely knows he shouldn't walk through there but does anyway. Don't you miss the days when people generally respected other people's property? Sadly, I think those days are gone.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:23 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
A few (not many) years ago we had a new concrete driveway, sidewalk and porch poured. Between the front of the house and the sidewalk, we have a rock garden - river rock plus a large rock with accent plants. It is right next to the sidewalk and instead of taking three or four steps to the sidewalk, the mailman/mailmen - can change depending on the day - will walk right through the rocks. This leaves footprints in the rocks and they also tend to kick rocks out onto the sidewalk as they walk. WE never walk through it; why does the mailman feel free to do it? They even did it last spring when we had plants coming up, obviously completely oblivious that they might be stepping on new plants. We are never right there to catch them doing it and say something to them. I usually work at home, but my office is removed from the from of the house so I don't hear/see the mailman. Today I was in the living room, though, and heard "crunch, crunch, crunch" but by the time I got to the door they were already gone.
My husband wants to put a short white picket fence or benches along the edge of the rock garden to keep them from walking through. I think that will take away from the look of it. I thought about a "please use the sidewalk" sign, but again that will look tacky.

I think it's ridiculous to have to even tell people not to walk through your rock garden. Isn't is common sense? We didn't spend all the time and money on landscaping for it to be a walk-through for the mailman!

When we have friends or even strangers over, THEY don't walk through the rock garden. I don't know why various mailmen would think it's okay.
Motion activated animal repel might work in this case. There are two types. The first is audible. It either emits an ultrasonic sound (mailman won't hear) or a loud noise to scare away the animal. A second model will activate a lawn sprinkler

Old 07-06-2014, 12:34 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
You'd think the USPS would focus on customer service with them losing so much business thanks to the internet, electronic bill pay, and competition in package delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House