Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The whole project can be handled (other than the hauling) with a Bobcat/skid steer; with a load bucket, and a hydraulic hammer attachment.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

highly suggest you follow this advice!

jackhammer? yall are out of your ****ing minds. you don't do this for a living, and you will wreck yourself trying. rent the machine, make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, 20 years is not nothing so maybe you'll be okay. It won't really be feasible to make the base thicker if it should have been (the only way to do that would be to take it all out and excavate more) but you could just go with what you have I suppose. Yes, the concrete should have similar base. You will probably muss it a little bit removing the concrete so you may need some material or at least the machine to compact the top once. Plus you usually run it over the pavers at the end. In some ways pavers will be more forgiving to frost (no cracks like a slab could have) and in some ways less (instead they can heave individually and get all uneven).

It's not that your pad is large as a driveway, it's that it's a fairly large surface for pavers as DIY. It's doable but still a lot of labor. I did roughly 200 sq ft of patio so you're talking over 3x that, seems large. Obviously my patio could also be seen as small in the scheme of patios I suppose, deepening upon house, so hey, it's all relative.

Under $3000 would be about $4 or so per sq ft. That sounds pretty cheap. I priced pavers and thought about them for patio but ended up doing flagstone (not for price reason) so maybe my price memory is off or I was just looking at mor expensive ones. But I remember them costing somewhat more than that.

As I said, good luck. The payoff is good if you can make it work, as you'll probably save a lot of money and have a nice looking drive. But do get a few quotes for having it done, the whole job not just the demo. I didn't do that and things took me a lot longer than I thought and I might not have saved enough money in the long run. I'll never really know because I didn't get any quotes. The labor for someone experienced at laying the blocks might be less than you think. Same for the demo. Plus it'll be faster.
Yes, the time required to do the job seems a little daunting to me, but at the same time, I will be retired when I start and it should also be good exercise. Yea, I just checked the price of pavers again and 3K is about right for the materials - no labor of course.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes, the time required to do the job seems a little daunting to me, but at the same time, I will be retired when I start and it should also be good exercise.
Hmmm...you're retirement age? That may change my suggestion to rent a jackhammer.

I guess you're the only one who can determine whether you're up to the task--but don't overdo it. You'll probably be using muscles you haven't used much in a while. Hey, there's no shame in hiring a couple of neighborhood kids to help you out!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Hmmm...you're retirement age? That may change my suggestion to rent a jackhammer.

I guess you're the only one who can determine whether you're up to the task--but don't overdo it. You'll probably be using muscles you haven't used much in a while. Hey, there's no shame in hiring a couple of neighborhood kids to help you out!
Early fifties.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Early fifties.
Spring chicken. Still, the caution applies.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Spring chicken. Still, the caution applies.
Agreed. Even if I sometimes feel like a sprung chicken.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
I've been tackling a similar project this winter, except in my case it was a patio, walkways, stairs and a retaining wall. All done with 16 lb sledge and pry bar. Total was about 300 sq ft, and most of it was 4" thick with no rebar. Any more than that and I'd have rented a jackhammer. It goes a lot faster if you have 2 people working it, with 1 person prying and another swinging the hammer. Otherwise you spend a lot of time going back and forth between prying, wedging and breaking.

The rebar reinforced sections were a nightmare. Lots of swinging before you even get it to crack - at least in my case where the previous owner used an unnecessary amount expecting these paths to last for a few hundred years! Anything that had an existing crack opening up was much easier.

Look around the yard and see if there's anything you can fill in with the debris, or a grade you can level/terrace. If you're lucky you'll only have to move the pieces once. Overall, it's not an easy job.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
I'm going to join those that recommend a skid steer with attachments. They should be able to rip it apart, haul it away and give you a decent grade for your pavers, all in a day. If my math is right, you have about 17-20 tons of concrete there. Not going to be a fun job as a DIY without the heavier equipment.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Screw that. I removed my old concrete walkway, probably 25/30' long by 36" wide. It's 3 or 4 years later and I'm still sore. I wouldn't even fathom doing a driveway without some heavy duty equipment and a crew.
I removed a walkway when I was 32 to save money. It convinced me that I was no longer 22. I almost died and I even turned down sex five days later.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I removed a walkway when I was 32 to save money. It convinced me that I was no longer 22. I almost died and I even turned down sex five days later.
Ahem...TMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House