Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 09:21 PM

239 posts, read 673,802 times

Advertisements

I have washer and dryer on 2nd floor or TH. The dryer exhaust goes into the vent that goes through the ceiling into the attic and out the roof.

I noticed stains around the circumference of the aluminum spout. Thought it was due to roof leaks and called roof people. They said it's not a leak but it's due to the condensation due to lint clogged up in the dryer vent. Got ceiling drywall fixed and painted. Called duct cleaners to clean ducts and dryer vent.

After they left, when trying to run dryer, i noticed a grinding/scraping noise and a burning smell..the kind of smell I get when ironing clothes. I called the air duct people who said they'll send someone next week but in the meantime, i googled and youtubed..led me to opening up top of dryer and bottom panel. When I turn the drum manually after opening up the top, i don't hear the noise as much. When I opened the bottom panel i noticed a whole lot of lint. I'm wondering if this is normal for opening up a dryer for the first time or if the dryer vent cleaning didn't go right - as in the lint didn't end up in their vacuum and instead still inside the dryer. Anyone have an opinion? Here is a pic of the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Dryer problems-photo-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Not from the duct cleaning-
Too evenly distributed. Just the normal buildup after years of service.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Clean mine every year. The first time I took mine apart to replace a belt I thought there was a major malfunction as it was loaded like yours. I vacuum and blow out the entire system of mine and it's a mess every spring. It's just the wife and me so there isn't a ton of laundry. If you have kids expect it look like this annually. While you have it apart, use a leaf blower to blow out the duct going thru the roof. You'd be surprised how much lint will be on the roof. Makes ya wonder if the screen filter is actually doing anything at all.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:50 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Clean at least once a year. Trying to push the lint up is harder on the system than out through the side wall. You can have a fire in the duct (happened to my daughter) due to build-up.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,091 times
yes ,lots of house fires because of lint in the dryers, dryer should be cleaned every year from inside to out.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,685 times
Default Different dryer problem

Hi, hoping to get some feedback. Have a stackable washer dryer that the dryer portion stopped working. It will not turn on at all and the light is out when the door is opened. But if I turn the drum relatively fast the light goes on but as soon as I stop spinning it it clicks and goes off. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thank you
John

Old 10-19-2014, 04:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnhunter View Post
Hi, hoping to get some feedback. Have a stackable washer dryer that the dryer portion stopped working. It will not turn on at all and the light is out when the door is opened. But if I turn the drum relatively fast the light goes on but as soon as I stop spinning it it clicks and goes off. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thank you
John
Some power would help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House