Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times

Advertisements

It is a very disturbing event - I think the poster who mentioned 'physical discomfort' nailed it. 'Twists in to an unusual angst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,986 times
These things seem to be common. I read a lot and the more I read the more things I am noticing hauntings present themselves as or by doing. Hard to explain unless you have witnessed it.

I am selling this property. Even if it weren't haunted, we're still leaving due to many other things.

I hate being here alone. It's a fear that is NOT easy to overcome simply by saying you won't give it energy. My eyes have seen enough and my ears have heard enough already!

Last edited by Terra; 01-18-2007 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: spelling err

Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,119 times
I don't know what you would call this but, when our daughter was born in1994, we hadn't ever seen anything like this.
I would be either in my kitchen or in my family room, all of a sudden I would see a glimpse of something white, like a flowing gown, I was never scared or worried, just curious.
I followed it one day, it went right to my daughters bedroom, I went inside and looked around, but it disappeared, what ever it was. I have seen it a few times after that, but I never come up with anything.
I don't know if it is a spirit, or one of our relatives who has passed away, checking in to see that my daughter is safe. I think it is very cool what ever it is, and it makes me feel safe. I haven't seen it for a while now, so I don't know if it is still around or not. I just keep waiting for the day that I can get another glimpse of it.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:37 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,519 times
These stories are so intriguing!!!
gives me something to read at work! shhhhhhh

Old 01-19-2007, 05:56 PM

34 posts, read 189,957 times
My parents' house is haunted. I lived there from birth until I was 20, so I've seen some weird stuff. A lot of it happened before I was born, though. My parents aren't the type to believe in such things at all. They're both the sort of hard working no-nonsense type. Anyways, it started off with water. One morning my mom woke up and noticed that the small waste basket in their bedroom had a good 6" of water standing in it. There was no leak in the ceiling above it, so her first thought was that maybe my dad had some sort of strange sleepwalking thing or something and peed in the trash can. She smelled it, and it was just pure water. No one could figure out how it got there. It happened again about a month later, and they were still boggled.

A month or two later, they were about to do laundry and they noticed that all of the clothes in their clothes hamper (in the bedroom) were wet. They weren't dripping wet... but every piece of clothing was thoroughly saturated with water. It had no smell. They couldn't figure out how in the world it had happened. Once again there was no leak or anything like that. There aren't even any bathrooms on the second floor of the house... so there is no plumbing or pipes that could have leaked down.

The next month (this always usually happened each month, nearly to the day) my dad found that one of his drawers in the dresser was filled with damp clothes. Just like in the clothes hamper, all of the pieces of clothing were completely saturated with water. It was one of the middle drawers, and nothing in the drawers above it or below it were wet at all.

The scariest one was that once my mom woke up in the middle of the night to find that the bed was wet. She jumped out of bed, which woke up my dad, and they were both completely shocked. The sheets, blanket, and comforter were all soaked from top to bottom. They were so freaked out that they couldn't sleep the rest of the night. It happened a few more times after that, but then suddenly it just stopped. They did some asking around, and they found out that the house nearly burned down once during prohibition. There was an alcohol still in the house and it exploded or someting (I can't remember the story exactly) and part of the house was destroyed and had to be rebuilt.... which eventually became my parents' bedroom.

The water stuff wasn't all, though. This is going to sound really weird, but most of the other stuff that happened had to do with my brother's shoes. There had been some weird stuff going on since the water, but not much. We would hear someone walking up and down the stairs at night, the tv would turn on and off by itself, people would feel as if they were being watched, etc. Nothing too bad. Then my brother kept complaining about his shoe laces always being tied. He kept accusing me and my parents of tying his shoe laces after he took his shoes off. I finally convinced him that I wasn't doing anything to his shoes, and so did my parents. We all thought he was kind of nuts for awhile, and then we started noticing it.

He would come home from work, sit down at the kitchen table while my mom and I were just finishing up dinner, and he would untie his shoes and take him off. He'd put them on the rug by the front door and we'd all eat dinner. After dinner we'd pass by the rug on the way out of the kitchen, and there would be his shoes... perfectly tied. This happened nearly every night. I remember one day my dad and I were watching a movie in the living room. My brother came home from the gym, sat on the couch by me, took off his shoes, and threw them in the middle of the room (like the slob he is!). At the end of the movie, he yelled out "God!" and pointed at his shoes. They were perfectly tied. My dad accused him of taking them off without untying them, but he put them back on and showed him that he physically couldn't take them off without untying them because his feet are really big. I distinctly remember him untying them too. This continued to go on for several months until he moved out to go to college.

The thing about the house that scared me the most was the attic. The only way into it was through a tiny door in my closet. I always felt like there was someone in there. At night I would feel as if someone would be watching me as I slept. Often I would wake up and be afraid to open my eyes... afraid that I would see someone/something. I still have nightmares about it. In my dreams I end up in the attic and there is a dark man in there with me. It's terrifying. I've woken up screaming before. Needless to say, I was very happy when I was able to move into my own apartment!

Old 01-19-2007, 06:17 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sarad View Post
My parents' house is haunted. I lived there from birth until I was 20, so I've seen some weird stuff. A lot of it happened before I was born, though. My parents aren't the type to believe in such things at all. They're both the sort of hard working no-nonsense type. Anyways, it started off with water. One morning my mom woke up and noticed that the small waste basket in their bedroom had a good 6" of water standing in it. There was no leak in the ceiling above it, so her first thought was that maybe my dad had some sort of strange sleepwalking thing or something and peed in the trash can. She smelled it, and it was just pure water. No one could figure out how it got there. It happened again about a month later, and they were still boggled.

A month or two later, they were about to do laundry and they noticed that all of the clothes in their clothes hamper (in the bedroom) were wet. They weren't dripping wet... but every piece of clothing was thoroughly saturated with water. It had no smell. They couldn't figure out how in the world it had happened. Once again there was no leak or anything like that. There aren't even any bathrooms on the second floor of the house... so there is no plumbing or pipes that could have leaked down.

The next month (this always usually happened each month, nearly to the day) my dad found that one of his drawers in the dresser was filled with damp clothes. Just like in the clothes hamper, all of the pieces of clothing were completely saturated with water. It was one of the middle drawers, and nothing in the drawers above it or below it were wet at all.

The scariest one was that once my mom woke up in the middle of the night to find that the bed was wet. She jumped out of bed, which woke up my dad, and they were both completely shocked. The sheets, blanket, and comforter were all soaked from top to bottom. They were so freaked out that they couldn't sleep the rest of the night. It happened a few more times after that, but then suddenly it just stopped. They did some asking around, and they found out that the house nearly burned down once during prohibition. There was an alcohol still in the house and it exploded or someting (I can't remember the story exactly) and part of the house was destroyed and had to be rebuilt.... which eventually became my parents' bedroom.

The water stuff wasn't all, though. This is going to sound really weird, but most of the other stuff that happened had to do with my brother's shoes. There had been some weird stuff going on since the water, but not much. We would hear someone walking up and down the stairs at night, the tv would turn on and off by itself, people would feel as if they were being watched, etc. Nothing too bad. Then my brother kept complaining about his shoe laces always being tied. He kept accusing me and my parents of tying his shoe laces after he took his shoes off. I finally convinced him that I wasn't doing anything to his shoes, and so did my parents. We all thought he was kind of nuts for awhile, and then we started noticing it.

He would come home from work, sit down at the kitchen table while my mom and I were just finishing up dinner, and he would untie his shoes and take him off. He'd put them on the rug by the front door and we'd all eat dinner. After dinner we'd pass by the rug on the way out of the kitchen, and there would be his shoes... perfectly tied. This happened nearly every night. I remember one day my dad and I were watching a movie in the living room. My brother came home from the gym, sat on the couch by me, took off his shoes, and threw them in the middle of the room (like the slob he is!). At the end of the movie, he yelled out "God!" and pointed at his shoes. They were perfectly tied. My dad accused him of taking them off without untying them, but he put them back on and showed him that he physically couldn't take them off without untying them because his feet are really big. I distinctly remember him untying them too. This continued to go on for several months until he moved out to go to college.

The thing about the house that scared me the most was the attic. The only way into it was through a tiny door in my closet. I always felt like there was someone in there. At night I would feel as if someone would be watching me as I slept. Often I would wake up and be afraid to open my eyes... afraid that I would see someone/something. I still have nightmares about it. In my dreams I end up in the attic and there is a dark man in there with me. It's terrifying. I've woken up screaming before. Needless to say, I was very happy when I was able to move into my own apartment!
Beautifully written account of strange phenomena! I got chills reading your story.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I don't know what you would call this but, when our daughter was born in1994, we hadn't ever seen anything like this.
I would be either in my kitchen or in my family room, all of a sudden I would see a glimpse of something white, like a flowing gown, I was never scared or worried, just curious.
I followed it one day, it went right to my daughters bedroom, I went inside and looked around, but it disappeared, what ever it was. I have seen it a few times after that, but I never come up with anything.
I don't know if it is a spirit, or one of our relatives who has passed away, checking in to see that my daughter is safe. I think it is very cool what ever it is, and it makes me feel safe. I haven't seen it for a while now, so I don't know if it is still around or not. I just keep waiting for the day that I can get another glimpse of it.
YorkieMom - I LOVE this story! Maybe it was her Guardian Angel. (Yes I believe in those too!)

After our dog Murphy died in November I would see an intense blue light spot out of the corner of my eye. It seemed to follow me around for about 4 days after she died. I knew it was her spirit. During that same time, our little dog would suddenly pop up from a nap, go darting into the other room, look around like he was trying to find something then just come back to his spot and lay down again.

I haven't seen the blue light since, and our little dog doesn't pop up and go searching the other room like he did. I was hoping to get some sense of Murphy still in the house, but I feel that she has moved on.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
I have 1 for you,

this took place in west virginia, now as you know wv is full of hills, trees everywere, small towns, and in the evenings the sun gets beyond the hills, well it cools down pretty fast then the misty cool fog starts to lay in.

the story involved a man and his wife, they were getting up in age around 75, lived most of there life in the same house, a fairly large older home two story type, somewhat run down since they were too old to really maintain it.

with both being elderly, they had there set ways along with there own seperate bedrooms, the elderly gentelman would hear strange noises allmost every night.

he would try explaining these noises to other family members, stairs creeking, pots clanging in the downstairs, even said he heard water running at times, the other family members would all gather together later to try to figure out just what was going on in the house, fearing the safety of there loved ones naturally.

well this went on for allmost a year, finally with family members fed up with it, one decided to spend a few nights at the house with them to finally find out just what was going on.

so as the family member stayed there a few nights, sure enough there were the exact sounds as the old man had described, the banging of pots, water running, stairs creeking.

so the family member one nite decides to investigate into this, so he waits in his room until he finally hears something strange in the nite, he goes to the door, opens it and sees nothing, then slowly edges his way down the hall lit only by the moon peering in through the window panes, he reaches the stairs and sees what appears to be the silhouette of a woman.

there he stands at the top of the stairs in total disbelief, scared to death, cold chills racing through his body witnessing this soul sillouette as true to life being.

he then pulls himself together, gathering the necessary courage to prepare himself to meet head on into this nightmarish ghostly figure of a woman.

down the stairs he went screaming, a scream as to no one has ever heard, blood curdling, then suddenly the ghostly figure turns to him and says,

son what's all the fuss about lol.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 PM

133 posts, read 629,513 times
Default had them when I was a child

We lived in a haunted house when I was a little girl. We had three ghosts. The people who lived next door (they sold us the house) had moved out and built a home next door. They said the "poltergeists" were just too much. We had the same ghosts, but they must have liked us because they never moved or threw anything. They just "showed" themselves in different ways. We knew as children that they were not bad ones. Our cats would go nuts at things that weren't there. Mostly we heard things, but I think 3 different times they were in human form. This house was in Prattville, Alabama. It was an old Queen Anne antibellum. We loved that house and have very fond memories of it. We only lived there for 3 years. Iwas almost like the house was alive and we talk about it like livd there forever. As children it was VERY COOL! I actually have a picture of the home on my mantel. The home was also used many years later in filming the movie "The Grass Harp" about Truman Capote when he was a child. We can watch the movie and see the home that had so many memories! I can definitely feel ghosts or the "presense" in homes and buildings. We had a ghost this past summer when we stayed in an old castle hotle in Scotland. I knew it was a woman somehow and told my husband. We then asked about it and sure enough...they apparently have a woman ghost...it was the lady that built the tower of the hotel! I am not sure how I knew she was a woman. I jsu could feel it!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
I'm fascinated!

So........let's say you buy a home. You make a tour before settlement and take photos of each room.

In two of the rooms the photos show what I have heard called 'orbs'.

Someone sneezed toward the lens...right!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House