Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times

Advertisements

We have a simpler solution. An ex bookie name of Bob. Been house sitting in Las Vegas for 30 years. We got him from some of the senior people at the Sun chain. He used to get comped there when no one needed a house sitter.

our suspicion is that Bob is actually a wanted man...and does not officially exist. But that is not all bad.

He is old and pretty beat up but can take care of the animals and smokes only in the yard. We can tell he has been here though...that smoker essence still gets inside a bit. We leave him with the food he likes and our neighbor, who also uses him, provides emergency backup.

So look around. Kids of friends. Grandparents of neighbors. Third cousins. The children or relatives of coworkers. There are any number of people who will move in and cover at least for short term periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 07:13 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Okay, you've all convinced me. I am not going to relocate to Las Vegas

Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Okay, you've all convinced me. I am not going to relocate to Las Vegas
Mission accomplished.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:38 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu
Looking for the best (non-monthly charged ADT nonsense) house securing self-setup available...enormous blazing siren of an alarm, cameras etc.
Im sorry to read this happend to you aardogfsu!

I hope by now you have protective measures in place

Old 07-11-2015, 09:30 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I see risks involved here, crying wolf! After awhile, don't you just tune it out, figuring it's another false alarm?

Walking my ferret, at night, around different neighborhoods, between 2am-4am, it's to be expected, as quiet as we are, at that hour, we've set any number of dogs to barking, with neighboring dogs chiming in, and? I've yet to see a homeowner step outside the front door to investigate! Too much crying wolf, false alarms?
I don't step outside when ours bark(I daub most people would, I wouldn't want to accidentally run into someone that might cause harm) but I do get up and look out all the windows of the 2nd floor. So far its just been our neighbors coming home super late, one works a really odd nursing shift.
If someone was in our house on the 1st floor, I'm sure as soon as I opened the bedroom door they would run downstairs, so I'd know if someone was down there.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Of course there's always Rover. I wonder if dog owners homes have a lower burglary rate?

Rex, the Barking Dog Alarm, is a good deterrent. It's a small box that's placed near the door and it sounds like two angry German Shepherds any time someone approaches the door from the other side. I have two, one for each exterior door, and use them whenever my dog goes somewhere with me.

Safety Technology International ED-50 Rex Plus Electronic Watchdog, Barking Dog Alarm - - Amazon.com

Old 07-11-2015, 03:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I also had this sign made up for my gate. it works well in conjunction with the Rex Alarm mentioned in the above post:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: