Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,124 times

Advertisements

want to use temporary roofing till I am sure about what type of roofing we want to use on small addition.....someone has told us about a paper that is sticky that us can use...........he used in i vermont to temporarily cover chalet roofing..........any ideas suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 AM

Default ROOF SOLUTION: Putting up temp roof on partial addition...Suggestions..Sticky sided plastic material suggested...IDEAS

LOOKING for a temporary roofing material to keep plywood dry till I am ready to re-roof whole house

Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
What is temporary. I stapled tar paper on a small addition roof and side, it lasted three months in MD...

Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
LOOKING for a temporary roofing material to keep plywood dry till I am ready to re-roof whole house
Define "temporary"

Roofing felt and plastic tarps will work for a few weeks.
Maybe even a few months if the wind/rain are minimal.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Have been told of a material that is sticky u lay it down keeps water out and u can roof over it....READ

We want to re roof whole home in sept redid roof at back of house and want to put up this temporary material but I can't remember the name of it.........Also have been advised u can put a new roof over this material..........

Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
You could do Grace's Ice&Water Shield Membrane- but that's kinda expensive for a temporary roofing material, because its not intended for that purpose- but it's like you describe.

I'd just do roll-roofing. Then when you decide on your new roof you can install shingles right over it.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Even if the specifications say that Ice&Water Shield is going to be "safe" to use as a temporary roofing I would worry that going that long without a true weather-rated roofing material is going to be a problem -- besides the obvious issues of cost, UV degradation, insect / wildlife issues, I would worry that the SOLAR gain from the very very dark Ice&Water Shield would literally BAKE your home all summer long...

Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM

45 posts, read 93,634 times
I'm hesitant to answer this question. Here on Long Island many people who were effected by Hurricane Sandy put tar paper up and then put a tarp over their roofs. Sadly, many of these roofs have failed because when you put plastic over a roof you seal in the moisture, and as hot air rises, it takes all that moisture right into the plywood underneath. After a year that plywood gets soaked, moldy, and needs to be ripped off.

Do yourself a favor - get some estimates for just roofing it. It's not that big an area, and getting it done ASAP will save you money down the road. Ice & Water shield is great under shingles, but it's just not made for that purpose, and regular tar paper blows up easily - there's a house by me that stopped their roofing halfway and it only took two good storms to blow most of it off. I feel for the guy, but he should have finished his roof!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 AM

13 posts, read 20,146 times
Many options are available as temporary roofing such as Ice and water shield, plywood etc. You can use them according to your need and location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House