Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 PM

28 posts, read 44,179 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a wonderful old home, but we've discovered it's sorely lacking in electrical outlets in some rooms. How much would an electrician charge for adding new ones? What about repairing outlets that do not work? Just looking for an idea of what is a typical/fair price.
By the way, we cannot DIY this. We are not handy!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The cost is going to depend on any number of variables, including your current electrical service, how many outlets you want to add, the condition of your current wiring.

Figure out what you want, how many outlets and where. Consult with at least three electricians to get a snapshot of your current electrical service, input for improving it, and cost estimates.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
The inspection report that you had done during the purchasing process, what did it say about the current electrical?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM

158 posts, read 273,361 times
well, you can search for my previous threads as I am in a similar situation and so I just got a quote, although your quote may be totally different depending on different factors, but usually quotes are free so you can probably get one pretty easily.

For a 1600 square foot home, about 1000 of the square feet on the first floor, I got quoted the price to re-do the breaker box and remove all the old fuses in order to support an HVAC system that we owuld like to buy, and also for convenience as apparently fuses go out a lot and are difficult to replace. This cost is $1475.

The second cost is to add electrical outlets so that there is one on each wall in each room, and multiple along the kitchen counter-line. This requires more labor and so was quoted $1850.

This is in North Carolina. This quote includes labor, materials, and pulling permits as the power to the house needs to be shut off temporarily. I hope that helps

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwill711 View Post
We just purchased a wonderful old home, but we've discovered it's sorely lacking in electrical outlets in some rooms. How much would an electrician charge for adding new ones? What about repairing outlets that do not work? Just looking for an idea of what is a typical/fair price.
By the way, we cannot DIY this. We are not handy!
Thanks!
A lot of the cost is going to be based on what needs to be done, if you have old wiring and two prong outlets the best thing to do is replace the wire with 14/2 WG romex and install grounded outlets, outlets that do not work may not be connected, if the outlets are bad they should be replaced. Electric work in an existing home is a lot tougher than wiring new construction.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 AM

24 posts, read 149,500 times
It depends upon how big that house is and how much it need work. I think an electrician can tell you about it in a better way. You bought an older home so I want to suggest you that you can use some new technologies to your home

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-02-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,591 times
Questions and Aswer aswer

What Wire Is Needed for 15 Amp Breakers? 14
What Wire Is Needed for 20 Amp Breakers? 12
What Wire Is Needed for 30 Amp Breakers? 10
What Wire Is Needed for 40 Amp Breakers? 8
What Wire Is Needed for 55 Amp Breakers? 6
What Wire Is Needed for 70 Amp Breakers? 4
What Wire Is Needed for 95 Amp Breakers? 2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Every situation is completely different, no way to guess price by what someone else had done.
I have a fairly new home with a 200 amp panel, so no upgrade needed there. Just this week, I had a new circuit run from the panel to the opposite end of the house for waterfall pumps. He also had to make repairs to improper wiring done when the pumps were originally installed by the landscaper. It took two days and cost $1400.00.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
So far as adding outlets and electrical wiring... The good news is that you can do a little at a time as your budget permits.

BUT... Usually in these situations, the main electrical service needs to be replaced first and brought up to code. In "so many words", older main fuse or breaker boxes were designed for "two hole outlets", the newer are designed for "three hole outlets" (third ground prong). And the electrician will make proper "ground connections" which will assure that use of new outlets added with the third prong will be safe and function properly.

Doing the initial replacement of the fuse/breaker panel work is typically in the $1,000.00 plus range. But you will not know until you get an electrician out to look things over. Might want to get a couple of estimates from different electricians.

You can also take pictures of your main electrical service (where the wires go into your house) and fuse/breaker panel, then post them here. (Sometimes this work has already been done.)

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I just had a bad breaker replaced, two new outlets added on separate lines, across the house to the breaker box and my outside lights replaced and reinstalled from some bad wiring. Two trips for a particular reason. It was $560 dollars, which I thought was a leeettle high but, whatcha gonna do ? (j/k). Oh yes, they put batteries (mine) into my 3 smoke alarms.

I provided the lights and other material. They provided the wire and the labor.

The house was built in 1974 and they said everything looked okay up top. The house had been sheltered by large oak trees for most of its life and now have none so, that may eventually make a difference in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House