Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,528 times

Advertisements

Considering the level of humidity in our area (South Eastern US with about 10 miles from Atlantic Coast), I have been recommended by my realtor friend to have the A/C running 24x7 365 days a year with doors and windows closed

Is this a good idea?

If so, what could be the temperature that can be set to ensure the most efficient use of electricity and the A/C system?

The relative humidity typically ranges from 46% (comfortable) to 92% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 25% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

Average High and low between Nov and Mar in my area is around 60F and 42F respectively
Average High and low between Apr and Oct in my area is around 80F and 65F respectively

Average precipitation expected is about 3 to 4 inches every month between October and June
and about 6 to 8 inches every month between July and Sep

Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
I'd say that is a bit excessive. The AC will do it's job and take care of the humidity issue as long as you leave it set at a level somewhere near 80 or below. When I lived in Florida, I was told to always leave me AC at a minimum of 80 when going out of town to prevent mold/moisture issues.

If you set it low enough, it probably will run 24/7 during the summer.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Do you run dehumidifiers as well?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd say that is a bit excessive. The AC will do it's job and take care of the humidity issue as long as you leave it set at a level somewhere near 80 or below. When I lived in Florida, I was told to always leave me AC at a minimum of 80 when going out of town to prevent mold/moisture issues.

If you set it low enough, it probably will run 24/7 during the summer.
Exactly Mold/Moisture is the issue I am concerned with due to humidity and especially if I go out of town for extended period of time say from Aug to Jan

What should be the optimum temperature that needs to be set (with windows/doors closed and the A/Cs running 24*7) to prevent mold due to humidity and at the same time it does not cost me fortune in the electric bill?

Realtor mentioned to keep it around 78 degree F and an other friend mentioned 74 deg gives the most efficient in electricity usage

I am wondering what would be an ideal temperature that needs to be set?

Last edited by spalam01; 08-21-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you run dehumidifiers as well?
No I don't run dehumidifier?

Is it a centralized thing or do we need to have dehumidifier in each room?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
There is no "optimum" temperature. You are overthinking it. 78 would work fine. If you want to be a little more dry, try lowering the temp a little. The AC also dehumidifies, so unless there is a problem room, the AC will work fine.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
You don't need to run your air conditioner in the winter to keep humidity down. Your heat/furnace keeps humidity down by drying the air with heat. If you have your air conditioner set at 70 and the outside temperature doesn't reach 70 in the winter, the AC won't run even if you have it turned on. I mentioned 70 because it's my favorite temperature. That's what I keep the heat set to in the winter. It's also the temp I prefer for air conditioning in the summer.

But 70 might be too expensive for your hotter region. Since you won't have air flow due to windows being closed, you'll need to chose your summer temperature setting according to what feels comfortable to you. You're going to have to accept that there won't be ONE temperature that will keep your AC running all summer while you're out of town. Air conditioning and heating only turns off if the outdoor temperature becomes lower or higher than thermostat setting.

For example, say you go out of town for 3 weeks in the middle of the summer and set your air conditioning to 78 degrees. If it's unseasonably cool while you're away and the temperature never goes above 76 degrees the entire time you're out of town, your air conditioning won't run at all. (The same applies for your heat in the winter if the outdoor temps are higher than you have the thermostat set.) We all know there can be humidity and mold even with the temps are cooler if here is moisture in the air. The type of humidity I hate the most is when it's cold and damp.

I would NOT leave a room dehumidifier running while out of town because they can be a fire hazard.

If I were home, I'd keep it set at 70 year round. If I went out of town, I'd set it at 62 in the winter and 78 in the summer. You'll never have AC and heat literally running year round because temps can be higher and lower than you have the thermostat set. Fortunately, mold only starts growing within 24 hours and a heater or air conditioner is likely to kick on at some point in the 24 hour period because daytime and evening temps do vary, except for some days where they remain constant throughout the night.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Most of my friends and I, that leave Fl for the summer, leave the thermostat around 80/82.

I doubt the Realtor meant to actually keep it running, just to keep it turned to 'on' so it would come on if it has to.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:48 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't need to run your air conditioner in the winter to keep humidity down. Your heat/furnace keeps humidity down by drying the air with heat. If you have your air conditioner set at 70 and the outside temperature doesn't reach 70 in the winter, the AC won't run even if you have it turned on. I mentioned 70 because it's my favorite temperature. That's what I keep the heat set to in the winter. It's also the temp I prefer for air conditioning in the summer.

But 70 might be too expensive for your hotter region. Since you won't have air flow due to windows being closed, you'll need to chose your summer temperature setting according to what feels comfortable to you. You're going to have to accept that there won't be ONE temperature that will keep your AC running all summer while you're out of town. Air conditioning and heating only turns off if the outdoor temperature becomes lower or higher than thermostat setting.

For example, say you go out of town for 3 weeks in the middle of the summer and set your air conditioning to 78 degrees. If it's unseasonably cool while you're away and the temperature never goes above 76 degrees the entire time you're out of town, your air conditioning won't run at all. (The same applies for your heat in the winter if the outdoor temps are higher than you have the thermostat set.) We all know there can be humidity and mold even with the temps are cooler if here is moisture in the air. The type of humidity I hate the most is when it's cold and damp.

I would NOT leave a room dehumidifier running while out of town because they can be a fire hazard.

If I were home, I'd keep it set at 70 year round. If I went out of town, I'd set it at 62 in the winter and 78 in the summer. You'll never have AC and heat literally running year round because temps can be higher and lower than you have the thermostat set. Fortunately, mold only starts growing within 24 hours and a heater or air conditioner is likely to kick on at some point in the 24 hour period because daytime and evening temps do vary, except for some days where they remain constant throughout the night.
I believe you mean inside. That is where the thermostat is located.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
You asked this same question in the Charleston forum. First of all, NO ONE runs the a/c year round here because it does get cold. Second, while the humidity can get bad here in the summer, I think you're stressing over a non-issue. Just run the air in the summer at the temperature comfortable for you. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House