Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:33 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,378,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Yes. I used a Haier washer and highly recommend. I did a thorough write up when someone asked on this forum not long ago. Pls do a search.

ETA: Okay, I found your write up 1-yr ago & had a couple of q's (I bypassed it as the thread was begun in 2010):
https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ections-2.html

1. Which model/size Haier did you have? I see there are currently 3 models available (posted links above & comparison link below).

| Washers | Haier US

I don't want the largest one, as it's not on casters & is 89-lbs. I'm a small girl... I can't move that. The mid-size is also not on casters (although I believe they can be purchased separately... I'd need to pay someone to put them on for me, however) & is 65-lbs, which I'd also have difficulty moving. My mattress is the same weight & I can't budge it to flip it over. The smallest washer is 43-lbs & is on rollers.

The mid-sized one seems about the best, also because it has a delicate setting & I wash everything, jeans included, on delicate. But, I was wondering if I could get away with a smaller sized in regard to capacity, even though it does not have that setting.

2. Can you give me an idea on washing capacity? The haier.com site says the smallest one can wash 10 men's tees, the mid-sized 15 men's tees. I have read reviews in which some said they easily washed a twin or queen comforter (small or med machine) & others said 3 pairs of jeans & some socks was it... still others said 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of trousers & 2-3 men's long sleeved shirts fit into the medium. That's quite a disparity in load size, unless some don't mind filling it to the top & others 3/4 full.

I appreciate your info on the water leaking out when you left clothing in to soak. But, I'm just curious... isn't that a machine flaw with your particular washer? When I've had my own, I've often left whites in to soak in bleach overnight, so I'll have to be mindful to not do the same or do so whilst watching it. Water leaking is bad enough... bleach smell would be awful. As an aside (in the event anyone else is interested), I have driven passed homes in CA, FL & MS where these machines were on an outdoor deck/patio, so if that's possible, I'll look into doing the same.

I nixed the dryer. It's pricey, takes 1-hr of electricity for 1 small load & I can hang most things on hangers to dry, which I do a lot anyway. Thank you Mmyk...

For those who'll come in after & not read previous posts (as has already happened) or DM the same... yes, I know to ask a landlord first. I was a landlord for decades... I get it & would ask for an addendum to my lease, giving me permission to use it... I'd never even do so on just a verbal from the LL... no need to discuss it further. Yes, I know to not leave the house with the machine on (I wouldn't even leave the room with a hose attachment in the sink... I grew up with such an attachment, so I'm careful)... it's even in my current lease that we're not to leave home with the d/w on & that any water damage is at our expense... we're done with that, then. Yes, I know I can read online reviews & already have ad nauseam... I'm looking for current detailed info (it often isn't... most reviews say it's good or bad sans details) & the chance to ask follow-up q's... as I'd indicated thrice already. And, yes, I know I can get a stackable w/d. But, that's not portable & some flats don't have hookups... & no, I'm not mechanically inclined, so please don't give directions on how to use my handy dandy jackhammer, pick axe & circular saw (cuz all girls have those in their Hello Kitty suitcases in the closet) to pull out a wall & put in a laundry center. I get it & was as specific as possible with my q's... I'm a good tenant & very careful... so, hopefully I can just get specific feedback on specific portable models. And, lastly, yes, I know I can use a washboard, but since I grew up with one of those, too, I don't want Schwartzenegger biceps & I'm trying to save my nails, I'll stick with a portable on wheels for now. Phew!

Oh & yes... that last paragraph was tongue-in-cheek... I'm getting reamed behind the scenes with silliness on this one... I just want a few answers.

Thank you, All!

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 09-22-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 16,523 times
I know this thread is pretty old but I just want to give my two cents. I have been a renter for many years and the disadvantage is I cannot have my own washing machine in the unit. We have a unit in the basement of our building but people leave their clothes in the machines, thefts have occurred and it is quite expensive. The washing machine is $3.50 and the dryers are $2.50. The washer doesn't clean well and sometimes my clothes come out sopping wet. Most of the time, I have to dry my clothes more than once to get them completely dry.

I got so tired of spending money on these machines and I decided to get a portable washing machine almost three years ago. The machine is one of those twin tub washing machines and at the time I paid $68.00. This machine has more than paid for itself. I still have to wash my comforters and blankets in the laundry room because you cannot fit them in this washing machine.
My clothes come out pretty clean and even though it is some work involved with this machine, I am pleased with it. I did a review on this machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuaw-wgjYmI&t=108s
This machine is now called by different names but they are basically the same. https://bit.ly/3sQy0Sq
and this one is good also.https://bit.ly/3jmzIIj

These machines will not cause any damage if you place them in your bathtub or shower to use. I also put a sock or pantyhose on the end of the hose to stop any lint from going down the drain. You can even fill it with water with a bucket and use it in any room of your house. This machine has really been a blessing to me. I have saved so much money!

Old 08-27-2021, 05:24 PM

18,542 posts, read 31,823,713 times
I might have of replied to this at some point, don't remember. I am an apartment dweller, I have the portable washer Avanti 757-1.

It does not have an agitator therefore you can fit more clothes in it. I can fit one queen size set of sheets, or 4 big bath towels, 12 - 14 T-shirts, it is sufficient for a family of two.

What I like best about it is that I can do small loads as opposed to bringing huge loads to the laundromat.

I like to wash "like" things.
all black socks
all white t shirts
all dish towels
all wash cloths
all colored T-shirts

jeans
and sometimes I do a mixed wash as well.

and I can make it really small load if I only need a few little things, which doesn't happen often.
It washes good and the best part is the spin, it really spins the clothes to where they are damp. I have a drying rack for the winter, and an clothesline out my kitchen window for all other times.
I am happy with it. It is pricey because it is a digital computer system, that's the only drawback.

https://www.google.com/search?q=avan...w=1408&bih=653

Old 08-28-2021, 06:56 PM

11,355 posts, read 19,774,083 times
I had a Kenmore portable that lasted 12 years. It was a terrific machine and cost over $600 in 1998. Then I bought a Haier that lasted 5 years. It was less than $300 in 2000. Then I bought a Magic Chef that lasted 3 years and another Magic Chef that I was still using after 2 years when I bought a house and no longer needed a washer that hooks up to the kitchen sink. Both Magic Chefs cost about the same, in the $350 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House