Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 AM

274 posts, read 678,937 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house. When i'm in the kitchen cooking, and need to use the over the range, pre-installed microwave, it trips the circuit and ALL the lights in both the living room and kitchen go out, including the stove. I can only use the microwave when all lights in the first floor are out and the stove is OFF. This--to say the least---doesn't work for me. The inspection did not find this fault which is annoying to me because obviously something is weirdly wired here and could cost me a lot of money.

Question: How do I not go broke over fixing this? The circuit breaker is outside in a little utility closet and the switch says "Lighting" instead of "Kitchen" which doesn't make sense. I'm CONFUSED. I am a Spanish teacher, not an electrician, and my knowledge of circuit boxes is if it's orange, flip it back and forth until it comes back on...

HELP~!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Call an electrician to put a new circuit in.
And maybe get a dedicated one for the stove.

Sure, the switch saying "Lighting" DOES make sense... all you living room and kitchen lights are on it.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Ok Spanish teacher, call an electrician. You have only 1 option, moving some of the electrical load to a different circuit (be that an existing one or a new one) and since you're posting here about it, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're going to want a professional do the work for you.

DO shop around though, rates are all over the place. I've gotten quotes for the same work that ranged from ~$80 to over $500, with the less expensive options always being the small business owner (big companies have big advertising budgets to feed). Depending on the Exact specifics of what you have, it could be as simple as popping in a new $30 breaker and moving a couple wires right at the box (So, about $100-ish total cost). Of course, it could be running a few new lines (the range should be on it's own 220 breaker and have Zero to do with the microwave and lights), all the way from the appliances in very difficult to access areas... if that's the case, then the price will be Substantially higher.

As for the home inspection, they test functionality of each item. Everything Functions correctly (lights turn on and off, microwave turns on and off, range turns on and off, etc...) it's just an overloaded beaker because the installer was too lazy to do things correctly.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
When your house was originally built (I'm guessing its 20+) there was no microwave. It was probably just a vent hood and it would have been acceptable to be on the "lighting circuit".

"Today", power-hogging appliances need dedicated circuits- microwaves, refridgerators, ranges, and dishwashers, along with the standard two circuits for countertop receptacles.

The "best" option is to have another (dedicated) circuit run for the microwave. Or use a countertop type plugged into a receptacle.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Ok Spanish teacher, call an electrician. You have only 1 option, moving some of the electrical load to a different circuit (be that an existing one or a new one) and since you're posting here about it, I'm going to hazard a guess that you're going to want a professional do the work for you.

DO shop around though, rates are all over the place. I've gotten quotes for the same work that ranged from ~$80 to over $500, with the less expensive options always being the small business owner (big companies have big advertising budgets to feed). Depending on the Exact specifics of what you have, it could be as simple as popping in a new $30 breaker and moving a couple wires right at the box (So, about $100-ish total cost). Of course, it could be running a few new lines (the range should be on it's own 220 breaker and have Zero to do with the microwave and lights), all the way from the appliances in very difficult to access areas... if that's the case, then the price will be Substantially higher.

As for the home inspection, they test functionality of each item. Everything Functions correctly (lights turn on and off, microwave turns on and off, range turns on and off, etc...) it's just an overloaded beaker because the installer was too lazy to do things correctly.
If it is a gas range, there will be no "220 breaker". I would guess that is the situation, as a 220 volt electric range will not be on the same circuit as 110 volt items. (And if it is, that is one home inspector who needs removed from the profession.)

Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Some of these things can be quite easy to remedy, especially if you already have a new main electric breaker panel, a big attic, and a basement (from which a new wire can easily be run). Or it can be more expensive if the main panel also needs to be replaced and there is no easy way to run a new wire.

In either case, you need to call an electrician and have a new circuit installed to the microwave.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
Good advice above and I'll add that since you just purchased the home, you might have recourse to the seller and home inspector to remedy this. The inspection should have caught this.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
I just bought a house. When i'm in the kitchen cooking, and need to use the over the range, pre-installed microwave, it trips the circuit and ALL the lights in both the living room and kitchen go out, including the stove.
The wiring for lighting is typically lower gauge wire than receptacles because the load is far smaller. It's not made for plug in devices especially something like a microwave. Even having a microwave and a taoster on the same circuit designed for plug in devices can trip the breaker. As suggested by KB you need to have a wire run dedicated for the microwave.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Figure at least $200 to run a dedicated circuit to the rangehood/micro. That is if there is easy access from the basement that isn't finished or an open attic if it's a ranch style home.

If it's a multi level with a finished basement sheetrock ceiling then expect to pay more. Ofcorse this is a very rough estimate because I can't see the layout of the home.

I'm an electrical contractor and $200 is my minimum price for a dedicated 15-30 amp circuit in old work aka remodel.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
New microwave ovens consume 1100 watts, plus fan, lights. If it's an old house, it's probably using a common circuit on a 15 amp breaker. My house was built 16 years ago and code required a microwave oven to have it's own [single use 20 amp] breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House