Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be your washer choice
Front Load 36 36.73%
Top Load 62 63.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:04 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not to get horsey, but personally it would irritate the heck out of me to feel that I had to leave the washer door open after every wash. Besides the fact that I feel that we shouldn't have to do "extra" stuff just to keep mold from growing in the washer, I also have a 22 pound cat who loves crawling into spaces like that! And I don't like leaving cabinet doors open, so leaving a washer door open would really bring out the OCD in me!

Like I said, I'm sure the majority of front loading washer owners have no problems with their washers, and probably really like them, but it was just this sort of thing ("Leave your washer door open so you won't get mold around the seal" or "Buy this extra cleaning stuff so you won't get mold around the seal") that convinced me not to buy a front loading machine. Who needs that worry or hassle or added expense when they can buy a top loading washer that does a great job, is energy and water efficient, costs the same or less, and also comes in really cool colors if that's what they're looking for?
Kathryn, have I told you lately that I love you?

Beautiful response - as usual!

I owned an appliance shop for many years and when it was my turn to buy a washer dryer, I got a Samsung Front Loader. As frontloaders go, it's pretty nice but when this puppy dies, I'll never have a front-loader again.

Next time, I'm going with a traditional top loading machine that fills up with bunches of water and agitates.

In my $1,300 Samsung front-loader, bedsheets get so tangled up that I have to wash them ONE BY ONE. In other words, mattress pad: One load. Top sheet: one load. Bottom sheet: one load. The wash cycle is 90+ minutes and it takes ALL DAY to wash one load of sheets.

Plus, now when I use "Silver Care" I'm getting stains on my clothes.

Not a happy camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:10 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

In my $1,300 Samsung front-loader, bedsheets get so tangled up that I have to wash them ONE BY ONE. In other words, mattress pad: One load. Top sheet: one load. Bottom sheet: one load. The wash cycle is 90+ minutes and it takes ALL DAY to wash one load of sheets.
Interesting!
I wonder why that is.

I can do a full set of king bedding in one 42 minute load. So awful that you have to go through a whole day like that!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At one time top loading washers were supposed to be phased out in favor of front loaders. I don't know if that's still true.
LOL My appliance guy actually told me the opposite. So who knows?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Kathryn, have I told you lately that I love you?

Beautiful response - as usual!

I owned an appliance shop for many years and when it was my turn to buy a washer dryer, I got a Samsung Front Loader. As frontloaders go, it's pretty nice but when this puppy dies, I'll never have a front-loader again.

Next time, I'm going with a traditional top loading machine that fills up with bunches of water and agitates.

Plus, now when I use "Silver Care" I'm getting stains on my clothes.

Not a happy camper.
LOL I can't rep you again but thank you!

I really did my homework when I bought my new top loading washer and fancy schmancy dryer last year, and when I began the quest, I really thought I wanted a front loading washer. I mean - I actually HAD IT DELIVERED to my house, but there was some sort of issue with the door - I don't recall but it couldn't be gotten around, so in a huff, I went back to the store and bought my second choice set - the top loading Whirlpool washer with matching dryer. I mean, I was put out.

Anyway, when they delivered the second set, the delivery guys told me that I'd probably like this set a lot better anyway, because they hadn't felt it was their place to say anything the day before, but they pick up these front loading ones for "issues" and exchanges WAY more often than the top loading ones. Now - I have no idea if that's true, but even before I bought the front loading one, the reviews I'd read had pointed me more in the direction of top loading ones - which I had fought because I really really really wanted a really cool looking set with those two matching front loading doors...I wanted to be cutting edge baby!

Now, two years later, I am totally loving that top loading Whirlpool. Couldn't be happier. There simply isn't room for improvement - the clothes come out super clean, the water consumption is a lot lower - and I can wash absolutely HUGE items in there with great results.

And now that we've moved, I am REALLY glad I didn't get the front loader because like I've said, having to leave that door open after a wash cycle totally wouldn't have worked in my walk through laundry room. Augh. I would have hated that, even if the performance had been great.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We had both for awhile, but when the front loader died it wasn't replaced. It was nice and got the clothes clean like it was supposed to, but you can't wash a sheep's fleece (not a rug, just the loose fleece) in a front loader. With a top loader, you can fill it with really hot water and soap, push the fleece into it and then spin the water out (skip the agitation cycle) and then spread it out to dry. You do have to wipe the washer tub out afterwards, but it's one of the easiest ways I know of to clean fleece. Probably at some point we will get another front loaded, but we will probably also have the top loader alongside of it.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
For those talking about leaving the door open, this is what our LG washer looks like with the door open. The door is basically closed, but is ajar enough so that it isn't sealed. It is secure in this position as well due to the magnetic door. We have two cats and neither have tried getting into the washer.

disclaimer - this is a random picture off the internet, but these are our exact models except in gray.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:11 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
If space was an issue I would have to go with a front load washer even though I don't care for them. I prefer top loaders. At least the old style ones. They have higher agitators and the water rises to the top for a better cleaning job. Sadly the new top loaders have a shorter agitator and use less water which means less cleaning and rinsing power. I also like that the lid doesn't lock and I can add more clothed like a missing sock of I need to.

I also hate all the electronics….it just means one more thing to go wrong.

I leave the lids open on both kinds. If you have the bottom line top loaders some of them can rust. Leaving the lid open will stop that.

All the new "water efficient" with all the gadget ones are horrible IMO. Sadly I don't think I can get a basic one anymore. If anyone knows of a very basic top loader that isn't ten years old please let me know

Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL My appliance guy actually told me the opposite. So who knows?

Font loaders use less water for the same size load. That was the reasoning.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Font loaders use less water for the same size load. That was the reasoning.
Oh, well, I've got a very water efficient top loading washer that's amazing. It has no agitator at all and yet it gets my clothes super clean. Plus it accommodates really big, bulky items.

So...I guess it's just a matter of personal taste more than anything. And that's OK.

I'm just grateful that i don't have to haul my laundry down to the riverbank and beat it on a rock.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 10,677 times
The top of the line LP front loader was by far the worst appliance purchase I have ever made. Once you get past the eye-candy, there are very few pros and lots of cons. If I am honest with myself, I drunk the kool-aid on the latest and greatest appliances for a home remodel. Not to mention they look mighty fine in the laundry room. Sadly, this is where it ends.

1) Spin cycle rattles the entire laundry room on any setting higher than medium. This occurs when flat to the floor and also when mounted on appliance pedestals specifically for LP.
2) Try washing king size sheets and blanket and after 75 minutes on a heavy spin cyle the entire load is still soaked in water and you are left with rewashing the entire load.
3) The settings are worthless. What is the need for a 2 Hour cycle for bulk and/or 'whitest whites'? For a heavy load 75 minutes! My laundry would require 3 days if I don't get in small loads during the week.
4) Socks and undergarments will get consistently stuck underneath the rubber gaskets. So after every load there is the hassle of checking under the rubber door seal.
4) The most painful of all is when you run back to the washer to throw in a last minute garment and the door is locked.
5) Even on delicate cycle, the agitation is so heavy that it defeats the purpose of a delicate cycle. t

Whenever I can justify dumping out another $2K for appliances 'TOP LOADER' all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House