Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 AM

605 posts, read 623,396 times

Advertisements

The last time I calculated it, oil cost twice as much as wood per BTU in my area.

My wood stove is too small to heat the whole house all winter. Could I save money on oil by doing the following during the coldest months?:

1) Set oil thermostat to 50 degrees day and night to maintain whole house temperature at a minimum.

2) Make a fire in the woodstove in the morning to raise the temperature to 60 degrees (that's how I like it). Keep it going as long as needed to maintain that temperature.

My theory is that this way I would be using something like 2/3 oil and 1/3 wood. Probably the furnace wouldn't come on at all while the wood stove is burning.

One concern is that the oil furnace might come on a couple of times to keep its water temperature up (it is not used for domestic hot water). But that might use less oil than, say, turning the furnace off during the day and refiring it in the morning.

The woodstove and furnace have two separate chimneys.

What do you think? Can wood and oil be combined to save money?

P.S. This would only be fore Dec, Jan, and half of March. In the fall and spring I use the woodstove only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
My wood stove is too small to heat the whole house all winter.
Could I save money on oil by...?
By insulating and gap sealing to the Nth degree so that what heat you DO produce stays in? Yes.
By having the highest efficiency oil burner and all well tuned? Yes.

Quote:
What do you think? Can wood and oil be combined to save money?
Rarely. The key distinction is in how much of the flue pipe is INSIDE the house.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
By insulating and gap sealing to the Nth degree so that what heat you DO produce stays in? Yes.
By having the highest efficiency oil burner and all well tuned? Yes.

Rarely. The key distinction is in how much of the flue pipe is INSIDE the house.
My house was newly weatherized (all gaps sealed and added blown-in insulation to the attic) a few years ago and the furnace was replaced at that time. That cut my oil bill in half.

The furnace chimney is inside the house; the woodstove chimney is outside.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
We use a combination of gas furnace and woodstove to heat our house. Basically, the woodstove is burning at all possible times. That keeps the temp up enough to prevent the furnace from coming on. If you have figured out that wood is your cheapest way to heat, I would say use the woodstove as much as possible and let the furnace heat to a minimum temperature the rest of the time (middle of the night for instance).

Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
The best thing would be to have a separate water heater.

And use the wood stove as often as you can. That would keep your furnace from coming on.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,101 times
I have electric heat and a pair of wood stoves.

If I fire up one wood stove, my furnace will not come on in temps above about 25°.

If I fire up both wood stoves, my furnace will not come on in temps above about 0°.

Do it. Save your oil like I'm saving my electric.

As already mentioned, it's down to what you have invested in firewood. Whether you're buying it or doing it yourself with your own equipment, you're still paying for it one way or another.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
You have a boiler, not a furnace. For the most savings run the wood stove as much as possible.

---or---

Forget all that and install a coal boiler.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You have a boiler, not a furnace. For the most savings run the wood stove as much as possible.

---or---

Forget all that and install a coal boiler.
"Furnace" is a word used by ordinary folks to mean "that thing in the cellar that makes heat." Dictionary: "an enclosed structure in which heat is produced."

Old 12-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks, all. Based on your replies I'll starting making wood fires. I guess the wood stove could take care of the house down to zero, at least, but the colder it gets, the more work it takes to lug and load wood, and the poorer the result is. I don't enjoy burning wood, but I don't enjoy oil bills either.

Thanks very much for your input.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
...the colder it gets, the more work it takes to lug and load wood, and the poorer the result is...
The way I look at it, is it is good for my health. Better to be getting a little exercise in the winter months than sitting on my behind! (Keep telling yourself that! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House