Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

239 posts, read 673,151 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are planning on remodeling an outdated bathroom. Currently it looks like we've got two single vanities attached to one another, with one against the side wall. Then there's one countertop sitting on top of / across the two vanities.

What is better for us to shop for? One double vanity? If so, will the plumbing line up or could it be tons of work to get the plumbing to work? We have two separate sets of water supply and drain pipe.

Or should we get two of the same single vanity and place them half a foot or whatever room we have apart?

Any preferences or advice?

We will be getting new floor and wall tiles and lighting for sure; probably new paint, toilet, mirror as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
What do YOU prefer?
Would you lose storage with separate units?
Would separate even look good?

Neither choice is my preference.
I would rather have just one sink to clean and have a larger vanity.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
I always asked my clients when they questioned me about 2 vanities two questions.

"Does your lifestyle have multiple people using the bathroom at the same time?"

"Does anyone who uses the bathroom have an issue with using a sink that someone else uses?"

Then I let them make the decision about the number of sinks and I designed it the way they wanted. (If possible)

Old 01-07-2015, 01:07 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Around here, most of the vanities are made by cabinet shops so you can specify exactly the configuration you need/want. If you get two separate vanities, would there be a gap between them? Sounds like a recipe for a hard place to keep clean and a natural magnet for things to fall off the top and be hard to retrieve.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Hi. We are planning on remodeling an outdated bathroom. Currently it looks like we've got two single vanities attached to one another, with one against the side wall. Then there's one countertop sitting on top of / across the two vanities.

What is better for us to shop for? One double vanity? If so, will the plumbing line up or could it be tons of work to get the plumbing to work? We have two separate sets of water supply and drain pipe.

Or should we get two of the same single vanity and place them half a foot or whatever room we have apart?

Any preferences or advice?

We will be getting new floor and wall tiles and lighting for sure; probably new paint, toilet, mirror as well.

This will determine what is possible- "What is the current width of the vanity?"

Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I would not put two separate vanities right near each other. If it's a large bathroom where they would be spaced fairly far apart, then separate vanities can be a good idea. But if it's not that big, I would get one larger double vanity with a single countertop. As Okey Dokie said, most of them are standard cabinets, so it's generally easy to get what you need. I have a double cabinet under each sink and then a bank of drawers between those, which is pretty standard. This isn't my house but this is the usual configuration.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM

192 posts, read 403,480 times
It depends on the distance apart, what you have may be a custom width so the only way to get a double vanity may be to go through a cabinet shop (and then you'd probably have to get a special order counter to go with it). Could get very expensive.

Another option, get two single vanities and then have a small unit put in between them. Try looking at kitchen sink bases which match to standard bathroom sink sizes. You'd then just need to make a counter for the center unit (perhaps that could be done out of fancy tile to give it a more decorative look).

Also Home Depot sells a line of vanities which are either 24" or 30" wide and then there is a 12" slightly taller floor cabinet available. All have countertops built on to them. We used one sink along with the taller unit in our hall bath and it works really well. Unfortunately I cannot find it on the website and do not recall the name, but your local store may have them on display. (Be sure to check different stores too if you do not see what you need, I found the three stores within 30 minutes of us had very different items.)

Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default I am going to be a little mean here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Hi. We are planning on remodeling an outdated bathroom. Yeah! A good idea! Old bathrooms are one of the things that you use every day and other forget how much nicer they could be. Money well spent both for your own use and future resale.

Currently it looks like we've got two single vanities attached to one another, with one against the side wall. Crummy, lazy cheap builder solution! Really a sign of a "no good bum" instead of quality minded professional. Yuck!

Then there's one countertop sitting on top of / across the two vanities. Yippee. This will be easy to throw in the trash.

What is better for us to shop for? Measure the space you have and shop for ONE cabinet that will fit.

One double vanity? Yes

If so, will the plumbing line up or could it be tons of work to get the plumbing to work? It will not be "tons of work" unless this is some very old house and the plumbing is very old and if that is the case I can almost certainly guarantee the lazy bum of a builder / plumber / DIYer that plopped down two cabinets hacked up a mess behind the existing cabinets.

We have two separate sets of water supply and drain pipe. Only way to hook stuff up. Kind of irrelavent. You need to fix this.

Or should we get two of the same single vanity and place them half a foot or whatever room we have apart? Are you serious? FIX THIS!

Any preferences or advice? FIX THIS!

We will be getting new floor and wall tiles and lighting for sure; probably new paint, toilet, mirror as well. Sounds like a pretty big job. What is your budget? Don't "go cheap" on what could very well be the "center piece" of a well thought out renovation project

Ok, too mean?

I don't blame you. There are LOTS of lazy, cheap, no good bums that do lousy jobs and make future work harder. You need to fix this! I am less worried about the two cabinets as what ever nightmare may be lurking behind them. If you open up the wall and find some horror show of leaky pipes, rot, mold and sawed through structure this may become a MUCH MORE INVOLVED "repair" project before you can get to the "fun" part of picking our a stylish and functional new bathroom vanity cabinet. There are LOTS AND LOTS or great option including the "floating" style shelves and modern "open" vanities. You can have a HUGE amount of counter space by wisely getting appropriately sized sinks. There are all kinds of options like "trough sinks" and even customized choices. Start looking at the various "on line catalogs" and "e-showcases". Often times a good local cabinetry shop will be able customize something that matches your exact needs for a fraction of the cost of having shipped to you from the other side of the planet. The best part -- since this is not like a kitchen where you need to have multiple freestanding cabinets all individually leveled and integrated by a professional the total you spend on even the fanciest custom vanity is likely a better deal than you'd get from a "stock catalog.

The important thing is to FIX THE EXISTING PROBLEM and whenever I see something on the surface that is "cobbed together" the odds of something hidden lurking making the job much more expensive is the real issue that you need to budget / plan for contingencies...

KITCHEN BASE CABINETS ARE TOO HIGH FOR A BATHROOM! Do not follow MORE BAD ADVICE! Do not perpetuate MORE PROBLEMS! There is no such as "special order" to a real cabinet shop -- they BUILD EVERY ORDER! Ditto for counter tops. You are not talking about a "free standing island" like in a kitchen. Counters for a bathroom are always set up to be mounted to the wall below the mirrors. Odds are one side will exposed and one will be fit to the wall. No walls are perfectly 100% square -- there is ALWAYS a custom scribed end! Depending on the material for the countertop and backsplash it may be easier / cheaper to get things "integrated" but functionally the end result will be about the same.

I am 100% in disagreement that you need to have a lifestyle where you and you partner SIMULTANEOUSLY brush your teeth / wash your face to NEED a dual vanity. That is the hallmark of jealous / small minded thinkers. Dual vanities make it easier for each partner to keep their own personal grooming products organized. I might like cinnamon Tom's while my partner might like minty Colgate. I might like a nice boar bristle brush and my partner might like a nice horn comb. We each get separate drawers / medicine cabinets and SYMMETRY means dual sinks top this off!

DO NOT UNDER CIRCUMSTANCE WASTE YOUR MONEY AT A JUNKY RIPOFF BIG BOX OF FAKE LUMBER STORE! If you are tearing out flooring , wall tiles and lighting I would assume you already know this is not some "slap it together and flip it" situation! This is home you'll enjoy not try to rip off some unsuspecting buyers.

Final thought -- it is possible that what looks like "two cabinets attached together" was made to be easier install / transport. I have come across this "solution" in some cramped apartments. It is still NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS -- if a good cabinet builder planned out the face frame you won't see any sign of "two separate cabinets". The idea is that this is a SINGLE VANITY and having two sinks does not mean you want things to look like "two cabinets attached side by side". That is just not the best solution!

Last edited by chet everett; 01-07-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 03:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
You mean like these? My inlaws have something like it. Personally, I want more counter space.

Last edited by kab0906; 02-18-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 04:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Pretty clearly NO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You mean like these? My inlaws have something like it. Personally, I want more counter space.
The OP said
Quote:
...two single vanities attached to one another, with one against the side wall.Then there's one countertop sitting on top of / across the two vanities
This is known as the "el cheapo" -- take two these, Design House Wyndham 30 in. W x 21 in. D Vanity Cabinet Only Unassembled in White Semi-Gloss-531947 - The Home Depot drop this on top -- Swanstone Ellipse 61 in. W Solid Surface Double Basin Vanity Top in White-VT2B2261-010 - The Home Depot

Bada bing, bada boom "double vanity". Lots of wasted space. Ugly. Cheesy. Non-functional. Great for flippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House