Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
2. Use double key deadbolts (WARNING - they typically violate fire code/common sense) and leave no keys in the house. This means the thieves cannot exit thru the doors. We had this setup for 24 years in our old house.
Don't do this. It's like trying to recreate the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory disaster on a domestic scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
If you buy a house in a neighborhood with an HOA, they will have specific rules about what is allowed on the outside of the house. In my neighborhood, for example, there's a (very dumb) rule that you can't put a barred door on your house until after it's been broken into.

If you move into a house that is the only one on the street that doesn't have a fence around the front yard and burglar bars, then you will be a target...but if you move somewhere that doesn't have anything like that and you start putting up fences and bars, your neighbors will feel like you're making the street look run down.

Your barking dogs and some good exterior lights will probably be enough. If you feel really unsafe in the area that you're moving into, maybe it's not the right area for you. Or maybe you should rent a house in that area for a year or so, to see how living there really feels.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:01 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
The sign from your alarm, and your barking dogs will probably be the biggest deterrent to a burglar.

But, as others have said, don't tempt a burglar by leaving easily taken valuable items in view. (e.g. don't leave a wad of cash sitting on the table, near the front door) Even with an alarm, some burglars will know how much time they have between setting off the alarm, and when the police actually show up.

Also, if you want to protect low, easily accessible windows, (or maybe windows near an entrance door) you could add storm windows with laminated glass. The glass is much harder to break, and it will cut down on street noise.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
9 ways to protect your home from burglary

9 ways to protect your home from burglary

Thanks, the article was helpful.

As for others, its not that we feel...unsafe, we've walked around that area and explored some, but the area used to be pretty bad, high crime and all that. Then they built the light rail and people started buying lots and building new. The thing is the area is a mix of old run down homes(many of which are tear downs, not livable) new 3 story town home construction behind gated entryways(so a hassle to break into) and then houses like we would look at, which are one story houses with large yards that have been renovated. So if I was to think like a bugler, I would assume the one story nicer homes are the easiest targets. The homes are being bought and either torn down and flipped pretty constantly, so I don't think we will be the only ones on the street for every long. But I suppose the market could slow and it could happen.

We have home insurance of course, but I feel like I would be rather traumatized after a break-in and I don't want to anyone to hurt my dogs...actually I'm more worried about them(and of course us if we are home) then our stuff.

Most of the other homes do not have bars on the windows, but do have fenced front and back yards. We would fence anyway for the dogs. But it sounds like new doors and motion lights are in order. Are there types of windows that can't be broken without a lot of effort? Or to prevent that do we need to do bars? I'm not a huge fan of bars on the windows.

I'm uneasy about putting locks on doors that would make it difficult for us to get out should we ever need too. Oh and there isn't an HOA, so we should be able to do whatever we need.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Find a better area to live in where your house is not a stand out target.
That's the best advice here. Absolutely true.

I know a young guy who got a "great deal" on a big old house in a ghetto neighborhood. He's a young professional and every flower he plants in the front yard makes him stand out even more.

His house has been robbed four times in less than 12 months. His wife is on the verge of a nervous break-down. The last two times, the thugs came blasting through the front door when SHE was home alone (with an infant child).

The old saw is true: Location, location, location are the three most important things when choosing a home.

Secondly, what's your bias against guns? When you call the cops for help, you're not calling them because you want someone to hold your hand. They're the ones with the guns. Like they say, "When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes."

Owning a gun (and being proficient with its use) is very empowering.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
That's the best advice here. Absolutely true.

I know a young guy who got a "great deal" on a big old house in a ghetto neighborhood. He's a young professional and every flower he plants in the front yard makes him stand out even more.

His house has been robbed four times in less than 12 months. His wife is on the verge of a nervous break-down. The last two times, the thugs came blasting through the front door when SHE was home alone (with an infant child).

The old saw is true: Location, location, location are the three most important things when choosing a home.

Secondly, what's your bias against guns? When you call the cops for help, you're not calling them because you want someone to hold your hand. They're the ones with the guns. Like they say, "When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes."

Owning a gun (and being proficient with its use) is very empowering.
That's the thing, its a fantastic location. Light rail, close to downtown(both my husband and roommate work DT) close to shops and we can walk to quick a few bars/restaurants. The area has really taken an upturn, so they built a bunch of stuff. But its only maybe...half built up. The other half is still pretty iffy, welcome to the weird zoning/or lack thereof, that Houston has.

I have no problem with guns, but others in our home do, so we won't have them in the house. My OP isn't about guns, its about how to keep my family safe with other options. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Yeah, Houston's neighborhoods can be good/prestigious in a few blocks and ghetto right next to it. My grandmother bought a house in an Asian neighborhood (perception is Asians keep lots of cash and gold in the house) and the word of mouth is EVERYONE has gotten burglarized. There are low income type residents close by and that spells trouble. Houses with no burglar bars on windows and doors were dead targets. People had stuff stolen even when they were in the house... scary!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
There are a number of different options besides bars. Windows with actual muntins built into the windows will make it more difficult to get through a window, and I believe they make some that are especially made for security purposes. For our windows that face onto the gangways (and neighbor's houses about 3' away) we went with glass block. I've also seen bars installed inside of windows, basically 2 individual steel bars screwed into the window frame.

In terms of locks you would only get a benefit from double keyed deadbolts if there are windows within arms reach of the door. That can usually be addressed by getting a different door or swapping the hinges to the other side. Lights are also a good idea.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Yeah, Houston's neighborhoods can be good/prestigious in a few blocks and ghetto right next to it. My grandmother bought a house in an Asian neighborhood (perception is Asians keep lots of cash and gold in the house) and the word of mouth is EVERYONE has gotten burglarized. There are low income type residents close by and that spells trouble. Houses with no burglar bars on windows and doors were dead targets. People had stuff stolen even when they were in the house... scary!
I know, it makes it frustrating to buy here somewhat. Because one or two streets are great and then the next street over isn't one you'd want to be on, but then if you go a little further it gets better, then worse again. Which is why I'm looking into security, because its almost unavoidable if you want to in a place where your commute won't be an hour each way. Well if we could handle a larger mortgage we could buy in a really neighborhood close to DT, but alas, we cannot.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
There are a number of different options besides bars. Windows with actual muntins built into the windows will make it more difficult to get through a window, and I believe they make some that are especially made for security purposes. For our windows that face onto the gangways (and neighbor's houses about 3' away) we went with glass block. I've also seen bars installed inside of windows, basically 2 individual steel bars screwed into the window frame.

In terms of locks you would only get a benefit from double keyed deadbolts if there are windows within arms reach of the door. That can usually be addressed by getting a different door or swapping the hinges to the other side. Lights are also a good idea.
Thanks, I'll have to look into those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House