Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 02:42 PM

14,453 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

How to Remove Dyes from Finished Wood | Cleaning Guides

Insect repellent and rubbing alcohol did not work.
We have not tried the vinegar baking soda lemon juice paste.

We have two tables and the dye from the bottom of a soft drink carton stained the table tops. The stains are maybe 4 months old based on what we were told. It seems some cans of soda leaked, soaked the bottom of the cartons, stained the table tops as the liquid dried up over the many weeks. The stain did not come from the soda itself but from the red dye used to print the soda package

Any home remedies that worked for you?

Last edited by howard555; 03-05-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:54 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Fresh stains or old?
I remember many years ago doing this, and it helped:
How to Remove Stains From Wood | Remove Stains

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Fresh stains or old?
We think it has been around 4-5 months.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I've gotten ink from grocery bags on the ivory leather seats in my car. I used straight rubbing alcohol for that.

Do you know what type of finish is on the tables?

When I'm repurposing old junky dirty wood items, I use mineral spirits (the stinky kind) to clean off wax, silicone, dirt and whatever else is on the surface. There are times that's all I have to do. No refinishing required.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I've gotten ink from grocery bags on the ivory leather seats in my car. I used straight rubbing alcohol for that.
Do you know what type of finish is on the tables?
We'll try to ask what type finish is on the table top. Nothing fancy or expensive I'm sure. The first thing were tired was rubbing alcohol and insect repellent from the link above and neither helped at all.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post

When I'm repurposing old junky dirty wood items, I use mineral spirits (the stinky kind) to clean off wax, silicone, dirt and whatever else is on the surface. There are times that's all I have to do. No refinishing required.
Water and salt paste did not work, nor did cooking oil, or hot clothing iron or rubbing alcohol.
The only thing that got a minor amount of color on the rag was a few drops of gasoline. We tried it on an area of only the size of a dime since gas was not one the remedies from the posted link above. The amount of color on the rag was so little, gasoline won't work.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:28 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
You have to determine what the finish is on the tables.

Poly? Lacquer? Shellac?

Then you remove the finish.. and most likely the stain with it.

Then refinish.

Never use gasoline for cleaning.

You could try a bit of lighter fluid.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:49 PM

No idea what the finish is and no way to find out. It is a light coat whatever it is. Lighter fluid took off no red at all. It is the red dye or ink that was used to print a Coke 24 can carton. The bottom got wet from leaking soda and the red soiled the table in an area about 1.5 square feet. It is an inexpensive table and therefore the finish should be the same. Not much at all as far as thickness and maybe easy to remove. Refinishing it is not an option as the table is not worth the cost. We'd be better off spray painting the top a color desired by the table owner. Or a table cloth is another option for them and forget the stain.
Nothing has come close to removing any red except gasoline and only a dime sized area was tried as a test.
We will try the Mr. Clean magic eraser, ammonia, and maybe vinegar. We hope to visit the home again by the end of the weekend.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM

We finally got a liquid that is removing the stain though slowly and alot of rubbing. Ammonia. It was mentioned in an article possibly from the link above and we just got around to acquiring some.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM

For anyone interested we finally found something that removed the stain.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with very little rubbing required compared to all the liquids we tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House