Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times

Advertisements

I bought a 3 bedroom with no kids and no roommates (just a gf). One bedroom is for an office, the other is kind of like a man cave with a TV, recliner and futon for when friends stay over. I bought 3 bedroom for the resale value. My next house will also be three bedrooms and I will probably turn my man cave into a legitimate guest bedroom and ditch the man cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
How many bedrooms we need depends on what other rooms are in the house. Where I was looking most of the houses had a dedicated office and some type of bonus space, but no basements. Given that arrangement, we wanted a minimum of 3 bedrooms plus office and bonus. That gave us 1 bedroom for the kiddo, 1 for us, and 1 for guest, plus an office and work out room (basement would have been ideal, but no basements here). We bought a house with 4 bedrooms, office, and bonus.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:47 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
I grew up with in a 4 bedroom house with my parents and 2 sister, so everyone had their own bedroom. We had no guest room, nor any overnight guests.

I currently live in a 2 1/2 bedroom house with 3 other people. My boys have always shared their bedroom and are quite happy doing so. We all hang out in the living room anyway. I would prefer a full 3 bedrooms plus 2 extra rooms so I could have one room dedicated to my office since I work from home.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I'm surprised at the number who want guest rooms; it is not something I would place high on my priority list. Maybe I'm just terribly unsociable, but I'd rather spring for a nice hotel for visitors, so everybody can have some privacy. Of course I have three kids, so my life already feels overwhelming. I need guests to go away for my own sanity. I can't even stand staying with my own parents. Saying goodbye for the evening and going to a hotel where I don't have to worry about where I leave my shoes, what I watch on the TV, or how I leave the bathroom is just so much more relaxing than staying with them and allows me to enjoy the visit more.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Three bedrooms, office and den. I occupied the den during move in so to say and it turned into a library with TV for SO and a cat tree. It has to double as guest room.
Growing up in what folks often think of as charming Old World as in historic building and all the amenities from low ceilings to small rooms to wardrobes in the attic ..... Please give me space. I do not want to share a 10x12 with my sibling anymore!
Company is always welcome! A reason to cook, hang out, rehash old stories, use us as base camp for trips.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
We actually need one for us, when relatives come to visit they either camp out on the couches we have, toss a pallet on the floor or slee in our motor home.
Grand Children like to "camp" outside in a tent with Papa and they have a blast while I stay inside and not get eaten alive by mosquitos.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Wow. Not sure who your guests are but you are definitely in the minority. I love my friends coming to stay for a few days and hanging out. When I'm ready to go to bed they can continue to do whatever they want, and go to bed whenever. Maybe you are unsociable...I like my peace and quiet too, but enjoy the company of friends from out of town whenever they visit. Southern hospitality, I suppose. Any guests that stay here are fed and pampered better than any hotel can do it. That's what friends are for, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm surprised at the number who want guest rooms; it is not something I would place high on my priority list. Maybe I'm just terribly unsociable, but I'd rather spring for a nice hotel for visitors, so everybody can have some privacy. Of course I have three kids, so my life already feels overwhelming. I need guests to go away for my own sanity. I can't even stand staying with my own parents. Saying goodbye for the evening and going to a hotel where I don't have to worry about where I leave my shoes, what I watch on the TV, or how I leave the bathroom is just so much more relaxing than staying with them and allows me to enjoy the visit more.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Maybe part of it is that our only out-of-town visitors are my parents and my siblings, who all have large enough families of their own that staying with us would not work. Everyone is more comfortable and enjoys the visit more if we retire to our own spaces after dinner and meet again after breakfast. We tend to have family reunions at a resort we all enjoy, where every family has its own cottage. My friends are local and have their own homes; we're way past the point of using each other as crash pads.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
4 bedroom house, all upstairs. When the kids come home (as they are for Easter!), each still has his own room. Each kid has a full size bed, plus a dresser and 2 book shelves, so their rooms are quite full. I have a separate office (which is really a cat room now) downstairs, plus a full basement.

No guest room here. Most of my friends live locally or within an hour's drive, so none stay. All family is local, so they go home as well!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Two boys so we got a 3br home. A 4th bedroom would be really nice but we didn't want a huge house so we opted for bigger 3br sizes versus squeezing 4th in a small house.

No regrets. No guest room so one of the boy have to give up the larger bedroom from guest but both bedroom is big enough for queen size bed.

I grew up living in a 3br 1000 sq/ft home with 5 kids and 2 adults. My kids are living in luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House