Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I buy the deep pocket sheets for our queen mattress. The sheets do tend to shrink in the wash/dryer a bit and sometimes it requires some pulling to get the pockets over the corners, but it's not too hard to do. My current set is a 500 thread count set from Walmart.

Are you thinking to use a flat sheet in place of the fitted sheet? Seems to me you would be struggling to keep the flat sheet in place throughout the night.

I stopped using a bed skirt years ago, but I never had a problem with it sliding. You have it between the mattress and box spring, right? With the weight of the mattress and the weight of people, it shouldn't slide around - even with some..uh..activity.

Ditch the bed skirt. AFAIC, it's just another dust catcher.
I wish i could say the bed skirt movement is due to, mm, activity, but not. Making the bed disturbs the skirt. I have to find some othervway of hiding ugly metal frames. The beds that come with wood frames are great, you don't need the skirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I wish i could say the bed skirt movement is due to, mm, activity, but not. Making the bed disturbs the skirt. I have to find some othervway of hiding ugly metal frames. The beds that come with wood frames are great, you don't need the skirt.
Buy your blankies and comforters the next size up. Skip the skirt.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
We have box springs on top of metal frames. Gotta hide them.

I put a fitted sheet over the box springs as well as the mattress and the comforter I use is a wee bit longer so it hides the metal frame for the most part.

Bed ruffles are one big pain in the bed and I quit using them 20 years ago.
If you insist on having the bed ruffle do a search on google for fitted bed ruffle or elastic bed ruffle and you will be able to find them with elastic around the top that will fit around the top of the box spring.
You can get them in one of the catalogs like Carol Wright or somewhere like that.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
So much bed skirt hate! My goodness, she just asked for suggestions to help keep it in place, not a litany of reasons not to have one. I use a bed skirt, because I keep the leaves for my dining table underneath my bed. Upholstery screw tacks are the solution for her issue. They're cheap, widely-available, and effective.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I like having a bedskirt/dust ruffle because it a)hides the box spring and b) hides the storage boxes under the bed.
I grew up before fitted sheets were commonplace, and it's a major pain having to tuck the bottom sheet back under the mattress every day or so.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
To be honest, my question is what on earth are you doing in your bed that is causing the skirt to move.

Between the weight of the mattress itself, there should be plenty of weight for the skirt to not move.
Now! Now! Do we really want to go there

Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I put a fitted sheet over the box springs as well as the mattress and the comforter I use is a wee bit longer so it hides the metal frame for the most part.

Bed ruffles are one big pain in the bed and I quit using them 20 years ago.
If you insist on having the bed ruffle do a search on google for fitted bed ruffle or elastic bed ruffle and you will be able to find them with elastic around the top that will fit around the top of the box spring.
You can get them in one of the catalogs like Carol Wright or somewhere like that.
Great suggestions. I had not thought of trying the comforter without the bed skirt. That would be much simpler and easier to vac. Undermeath. My comforter may be long enough and no more sliding bed skirt.
The elastic bedruffle is also a good idea. Thank you.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Great suggestions. I had not thought of trying the comforter without the bed skirt. That would be much simpler and easier to vac. Undermeath. My comforter may be long enough and no more sliding bed skirt.
The elastic bedruffle is also a good idea. Thank you.

You should be able to find something you like here:

https://www.google.com/?client=safar...tic+bed+ruffle

As silly as it sounds I have always been fascinated by these and wonder what made someone think of doing this yet I have never purchased one....LOL
Mainly because they do not have the color I want or style. If someone would make an eyelet in the shade of green I want I might make the purchase.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:42 AM

121 posts, read 119,948 times
I don't have this problem with sheets, and prefer fitted as it's easier. Just kinda' lift up a corner a little perhaps?? On the skirt, yes they eventually may shift a little. Maybe the top of yours is a slipperier material (mine is more cotton - less likely to shift). I have seen skirts that are one long piece with elastic on top that goes around the boxspring, rather than the typical with the fabric that goes between the boxspring and mattress.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Of all the chores I hate the most being single, it is remaking the bed on laundry day ! I dread fitting the bottom sheet on, then the top sheet and comforter. I am beat by the time I am done.

I also did away with the skirt, it kept getting pulled out of shape as I fed the sheets into place and I had to keep fighting with it, so it is no longer there.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House