Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:30 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times

Advertisements

I've been using Sherwin Williams paint for the last few years because it's the most convenient paint store for me. It's pricey (even with specials/coupons) and I love the colors. But I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the quality. Yesterday I painted with Sea Salt using Duration (paint & primer in one) and the coverage is awful.

Their exterior paint went on okay and is holding up so far.

I also really disliked SW floor paint. Again, horrible coverage,

I used to use Behr or Valspar and I would get great coverage in one coat. I'm probably going to switch back to one of those.

The people who work at the store are not very helpful, either. Anyway, what's your favorite brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
For the past few years (2 hours, both interior and exterior) I've been using Behr and quite happy with it. The stuff I like best is the Ultra (paint + primer) and try to buy around their main sales (holiday weekends in the summer).

Coverage is good but drastic changes still require 2 coats and maybe a touchup here and there. Durability seemed Very good on the exterior paints (entry doors, they always get the worst abuse), can't say that I've ever had issue with any interior paints holding up.

As for colors, Home Depot has all of the SW paint codes in their computer. Even if they don't, they have a scanner that can easily create any color from a paint card/other sample. That should never be an excuse for buying one brand over another, doesn't matter what brands you're talking about.

The biggest issue I have is that the monkeys who work at Home Depot are pretty much clueless, and they ALL seem overworked (exhausted/drained, lethargic, unresponsive). So doing anything different is out of the question, but pushing buttons they can do. Understand that you'll get no help going in and you'll be lots happier (and occasionally surprised)

Old 10-04-2015, 10:09 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I use Behr as well and have been quite happy with it.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
For the past few years, we have used Benjamin Moore. We like their color palates, and we like the fact that they have their own stores with knowledge and helpful staff. Almost never buy paint anymore at a big box store, but when we do, we always buy Behr.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:02 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Benjamin Moore. Love the colors and excellent quality. I had that in my last house and was able to do touch ups 7 years later that could not be seen at all. (I stored the paint in my living room closet, not the garage or basement).

Old 10-04-2015, 11:54 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
My painters always use Sherwin Williams. I personally am fine with Behr Ultra when I do the painting.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Whatever's cheap or on sale! A good paint job is in the prep not the brand of paint!

Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
Thanks. I would love to try Benjamin Moore, but not a store within easy drive. I think I'm going to go back to Behr.

I've noticed I go through more SW, too. A few years ago I painted my bedroom with Behr. I did 2 coats and only used 1 1/2 gallons. Great coverage.

I just repainted the same room yesterday with SW. Took 2 gallons and I was a bit short. Coverage is okay, but had more drips and splatters than I usually do with other brands. I have an old house so I paint alot.

I hear ya on the prep, k'ledgeBldr.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:26 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've been using Sherwin Williams paint for the last few years because it's the most convenient paint store for me. It's pricey (even with specials/coupons) and I love the colors. But I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the quality. Yesterday I painted with Sea Salt using Duration (paint & primer in one) and the coverage is awful.

Their exterior paint went on okay and is holding up so far.

I also really disliked SW floor paint. Again, horrible coverage,

I used to use Behr or Valspar and I would get great coverage in one coat. I'm probably going to switch back to one of those.

The people who work at the store are not very helpful, either. Anyway, what's your favorite brand?
My favorite is Behr.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Dulux
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House