Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people buy into a community where houses are built on top of one another, and then wish to put up a "privacy fence". For what? I put up a few shrubs....quick growing forsythia and arborvitae , and in 12 months had all the "privacy" I could stand.

In any event, if you want a PVC fence, go for it. The fence company will want to see a certified survey with the lines clearly marked on the ground. Measure in a foot or two (sorry, you can't have your "I don't have space but I want a fence" cake and eat it too) and put up your fence.

Over. Done. Complete. Neighbors will hate you at best, and make your life hell at worst. That's life. They'll move, or you will move, and the next person will come along and wonder, "why are there two fences"?

That's the price you pay for being unable to be communicative with your neighbor. Is it worth $450? To you, OP, it apparently is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
And after reading all her comments, having a double fence between her and me would be priceless.

I'm so glad we have neighbors who have kept a wooded buffer around their property. It goes so well with the wooded buffer we have around the edges of our property. Trees and nature make wonderful neighbors. The neighbors behind us around about 10-20 acres away. We've never met. The only actual abutting neighbors we have met is the one to the west of us - 1/2 mile at least. Nice enough guy, but he only stops by when he is trying to dump zucchini or grapes on us.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:50 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not sure why people buy into a community where houses are built on top of one another, and then wish to put up a "privacy fence". For what? I put up a few shrubs....quick growing forsythia and arborvitae , and in 12 months had all the "privacy" I could stand.

In any event, if you want a PVC fence, go for it. The fence company will want to see a certified survey with the lines clearly marked on the ground. Measure in a foot or two (sorry, you can't have your "I don't have space but I want a fence" cake and eat it too) and put up your fence.

Over. Done. Complete. Neighbors will hate you at best, and make your life hell at worst. That's life. They'll move, or you will move, and the next person will come along and wonder, "why are there two fences"?

That's the price you pay for being unable to be communicative with your neighbor. Is it worth $450? To you, OP, it apparently is.
I have a long, fairly narrow city lot enclosed in practical chain link fencing. I also planted arborvitae along the north side as a windbreak and a privacy screen between my lot and the rental house next door so that my back porch is sheltered. Some of the arborvitae (also know as cedar) are over 12 feet high now. In other parts of the yard I've planted vines (honeysuckle, virginia creeper, and trumpet vine), Canadian hemlock or deciduous shrubs along the fence or boundary, including lilac, ninebark, and althea, but parts of the yard are open enough that I can actually see to the next street. If I wanted complete privacy, I would have moved to a large piece of wooded land in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 AM

29 posts, read 47,962 times
The fence was put up next to theirs a week ago. Looks great. I just came to the forum to ask if anyone had any advice or maybe someone ran into this exact situation before. I didn't come to discuss opinions on vinyl vs chain link. I also didn't go over there like an entitled person demanding to take down their fence like a lot of you are making me out to be. I never cared about taking down their fence and I don't even have a problem with chain link. Based on the recommendation of my fence installer who is also our other neighbor I simply went over there to see if they wanted to join the fence. It's a pretty sad state we live in if I can't go over to the neighbors and ask if they'd like to join their fence without people accusing me of being an entitled ass hole but it is 2015 so it doesn't surprise me. They did not so I said I can put it up on my side next to theirs and they didn't want that either. So I put it up on my property. I can let my dogs out and guess what they don't bark and nobody is bothered which was the goal of the fence. On the other hand the neighbors across the street have a chain link and both have dogs and guess what the dogs bark like crazy just like I knew ours would. A lot of you are arguing points that are irrelevant like the downsides of vinyl. Guess what there is down side to EVERYTHING. This fence was for a functional purpose and it accomplished that. We can all debate all day long what looks better and what doesn't but at the end of the day the fence is serving it's purpose. So you all can continue to comment on a now pointless thread but I know what I said and how I acted and how they acted and what they said and I know I wasn't the rude one here. So to all the haters keep hating I will be fine and to everybody that took the time to actually read the thread and respond with positive and helpful information thank you.

Last edited by isu2004; 10-22-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: added something :)

Old 10-22-2015, 11:19 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2004 View Post
The fence was put up next to theirs a week ago. Looks great. I just came to the forum to ask if anyone had any advice or maybe someone ran into this exact situation before. I didn't come to discuss opinions on vinyl vs chain link. I also didn't go over there like an entitled person demanding to take down their fence like a lot of you are making me out to be. I never cared about taking down their fence and I don't even have a problem with chain link. Based on the recommendation of my fence installer who is also our other neighbor I simply went over there to see if they wanted to join the fence. It's a pretty sad state we live in if I can't go over to the neighbors and ask if they'd like to join their fence without people accusing me of being an entitled ass hole but it is 2015 so it doesn't surprise me. They did not so I said I can put it up on my side next to theirs and they didn't want that either. So I put it up on my property. I can let my dogs out and guess what they don't bark and nobody is bothered which was the goal of the fence. On the other hand the neighbors across the street have a chain link and both have dogs and guess what the dogs bark like crazy just like I knew ours would. A lot of you are arguing points that are irrelevant like the downsides of vinyl. Guess what there is down side to EVERYTHING. This fence was for a functional purpose and it accomplished that. We can all debate all day long what looks better and what doesn't but at the end of the day the fence is serving it's purpose. So you all can continue to comment on a now pointless thread but I know what I said and how I acted and how they acted and what they said and I know I wasn't the rude one here. So to all the haters keep hating I will be fine and to everybody that took the time to actually read the thread and respond with positive and helpful information thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2004 View Post
I know I wasn't the rude one here

Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Some of you people must not get out much. Where I live, most neighborhoods have wood PRIVACY fencing. New subdivisions all have wood fence. Chain link is probably not allowed.

Chain link fence = HOLES

Vinyl fence = NO HOLES - PRIVACY- as I don't want my neighbors staring at me!

Surprised at the How Dare You posts. You tried to work with your neighbor. You wanted a privacy fence for you and your dogs. You had the fence built on the property you bought.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Some of you people must not get out much. Where I live, most neighborhoods have wood PRIVACY fencing. New subdivisions all have wood fence. Chain link is probably not allowed.
That's where YOU live. It's not like that everywhere!

I built a brand new house a few years ago in SC. The entire development did NOT have fences. ALL fences required a permit from the county (we were unincorporated). There were multiple styles of fencing - wood, chain link, and vinyl as well.

So NO:

Quote:
New subdivisions all have wood fence.
This is NOT the case everywhere.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM

29 posts, read 47,962 times
This subdivision allows chain link and white or tan pvc. I read all of the covenants of the home association before I even put an offer on the house. There is a mix of chain link and privacy fences all throughout this side of town. Only a few houses have no fence at all. Almost everyone has dogs here so one of the benefits of owning a house is being able to have a fenced in yard.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
New subdivisions all have wood fence.
No, they do not.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:13 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:

Chain link fence = HOLES

Vinyl fence = NO HOLES - PRIVACY- as I don't want my neighbors staring at me!

Surprised at the How Dare You posts. You tried to work with your neighbor. You wanted a privacy fence for you and your dogs. You had the fence built on the property you bought.
Why live in a compound? Afraid to see the neighborhood? Afraid others may look at you through holes in the fence?

Man- society is getting so closed off from one another. How can you have a 'neighborhood' if you close yourself off to your 'neighbors'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House