Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Used Mattress?
Yes 1 1.28%
No 77 98.72%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:42 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times

Advertisements

Last year we moved. Our old spare bedroom only had room for a small bed (what they call a full-a bit smaller than a double). The new spare bedroom now has a king bed in it. So, we are left with the mattress from the old smaller bed. It is a good mattress-only used whenever we had guests-which wasn't too frequently. In other words, it is not that "used." I wanted to get rid of because we really don't have a place for it but my husband thinks we should hang on to it for when we had a lot of guests. I was hoping that we could fit it in the spare bedroom next to the king but the room isn't THAT big. So, we wrapped the mattress in heavy plastic. We wanted to put it under the bed in the spare bedroom. It didn't fit-but it fit under our bed. So, that is where it is.

We were talking about getting rid of it last night. So, with most of the posts here tells us we are going to have a hard time getting rid of it if we chose to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:47 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Too many health risks. Lice, bed bugs, who knows what else is lurking under the padding....

Old 10-17-2015, 04:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Last year we moved. Our old spare bedroom only had room for a small bed (what they call a full-a bit smaller than a double). The new spare bedroom now has a king bed in it. So, we are left with the mattress from the old smaller bed. It is a good mattress-only used whenever we had guests-which wasn't too frequently. In other words, it is not that "used." I wanted to get rid of because we really don't have a place for it but my husband thinks we should hang on to it for when we had a lot of guests. I was hoping that we could fit it in the spare bedroom next to the king but the room isn't THAT big. So, we wrapped the mattress in heavy plastic. We wanted to put it under the bed in the spare bedroom. It didn't fit-but it fit under our bed. So, that is where it is.

We were talking about getting rid of it last night. So, with most of the posts here tells us we are going to have a hard time getting rid of it if we chose to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cat
It's a used mattress. It's not sitting wrapped in plastic straight from the factory and in a furniture store waiting for someone to buy it. Disposing of mattresses is very difficult in many areas. Find out what the law is for your area and what your trash pick up regulations are.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:18 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Even 20 years ago you might have been okay buying a used mattress from a hotel or a home guest room without being too freaked out. But now that there are bedbugs being brought in by foreign travelers and those bedbugs are being spread among students and relatives and the such, you could not pay me to buy one of these. Of course if the mattress was fumigated it might be okay (for example a high quality/expensive hotel mattress), but who wants to take the risk of bringing bedbugs into their home.

There are situations where people are willing to accept the risk however. If it is apparent to a person who has a tight budget that your mattress and home are very clean, then they would be willing to take the chance over having nothing. For example a grandmother who had grandchildren wanting to sleep over, or someone whose furnishngs had been destroyed by flood or fire.

Last edited by luv4horses; 10-17-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times
Only for my worst enemy, or if I was using it in a crime...

Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Nope~ Not even family, it's kinda like on the same lines as wearing someone used underwear...

Old 10-18-2015, 12:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,890 times
What's wrong with a used mattress? You guys all have germ phobias?

Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Only if it had bed bugs.

And aLL possible bodily fluids and hopefully some solids too. That would be icing on the cake. I want to sleep on the mattress equivalent of a mass murder crime scene

Old 10-18-2015, 11:16 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
What's wrong with a used mattress? You guys all have germ phobias?

No....It's more like I don't want be laying in someone easels bodily fluids and shed skin, blood, vomit etc..Mattress cover, sheet don't give me a peace of mind, to me a bed is private, it's personal space~~~

I worked in housekeeping in my younger days, and I'll say this, nothing as gross as what's goes on between the sheet, humans are nasty.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House