Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,819,989 times

Advertisements

i just moved to a brand new house/development, it is a smaller house/lot than what i have always lived in (wanted to downsize). with that said, i have an oak tree (large tree when mature) pretty close to my foundation (~10ft).

what can i do or what should i do to prevent the root from ruining my concrete foundation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 05:17 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Clarification:
New house- as in newly built?
Is this a tree that was planted by the builder?

The short and best answer- remove the tree.
If its newly planted it can probably be replanted.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
Assuming the location is in the Dallas area, the builder would be required to run a root barrier or shield IF they ran into the roots of the tree at time of digging the beamage for the foundation. It's a simple and common fix. But you'd need to ask the builder if that happened. Most often the foundation companies see the trees and just do it but obviously only the builder is going to know. The oak though, is a slow growing tree and it will be decades before it's shade. Frankly, I'd take it up and put a much faster growing tree if you want shade. In our Texas heat, shade is money. For an oak to grow one foot in height, an Arizona Ash will grow 10 feet. You can have shade with an Arizona Ash in 5 years and a yard covered shade tree in 12. In 12 years the oak will have grown maybe 2 feet. Oaks are not a short term shade tree and probably your kids might live to see it as a shade tree.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,833,407 times
Oak is not good that close to the house. If it's still small, get rid of it. You will hate all the acorns and leaves trashing up your roof even if the root issue is fine. And when it gets big, the squirrels will use the branches as highway to your roof and find a way into the attic.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Clarification:
New house- as in newly built?
Is this a tree that was planted by the builder?

The short and best answer- remove the tree.
If its newly planted it can probably be replanted.
yes newly built, i just moved in a month ago. yes it was planted by the builder's contracter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Assuming the location is in the Dallas area, the builder would be required to run a root barrier or shield IF they ran into the roots of the tree at time of digging the beamage for the foundation. It's a simple and common fix. But you'd need to ask the builder if that happened. Most often the foundation companies see the trees and just do it but obviously only the builder is going to know. The oak though, is a slow growing tree and it will be decades before it's shade. Frankly, I'd take it up and put a much faster growing tree if you want shade. In our Texas heat, shade is money. For an oak to grow one foot in height, an Arizona Ash will grow 10 feet. You can have shade with an Arizona Ash in 5 years and a yard covered shade tree in 12. In 12 years the oak will have grown maybe 2 feet. Oaks are not a short term shade tree and probably your kids might live to see it as a shade tree.
no root barrier/shield, hence why i made this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Oak is not good that close to the house. If it's still small, get rid of it. You will hate all the acorns and leaves trashing up your roof even if the root issue is fine. And when it gets big, the squirrels will use the branches as highway to your roof and find a way into the attic.
you make it sound like oak trees should not even exist lol

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
yes newly built, i just moved in a month ago. yes it was planted by the builder's contracter...

Do you know what species of Oak?
Most Oaks that I know of used in landscaping are Pin Oaks and Willow Oaks. Either of which have a mature canopy/root base that far exceeds 10'.

Either way, it needs to be moved/removed. Shade trees should be planted half the distance of a mature canopy +/- 5' from any structure.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
Don't know if I'd go for an ash, lots of things out killing them (Emerald Ash Borer and a bunch of different fungi). 10 feet is definitely too close.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:26 PM

what's wrong with using a root killer/blocker/shield? no one is answering my initial question...

Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
what's wrong with using a root killer/blocker/shield? no one is answering my initial question...
They don't work- plain and simple.

If tree roots can move a slab foundation, what do you think it will do to a sheet of aluminum?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:20 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,833,407 times
Quote:
you make it sound like oak trees should not even exist lol
I lived in Houston where my neighborhood has tons of old oak trees. So I know how big they get after 40+ yrs. It's too bad that builders or naive homeowners plant these trees right up to the house or in the little patch of lawn btw the sidewalk & road. They need much more space than that and can be magnificent if allowed to grow in open territory. Unfortunately, due to where they are planted, most of the sidewalks in my entire neighborhood are heaved, making them unsuitable to walk on. The roots crackup driveways as well (my parents had to install a whole new driveway, $3K I think). Roofs with lots of overhead branches look horrible, as if they are attacked by moss and **** on by the acorn, leaves and branches. Most of the time, homeowners or electric companies do a whack job trimming the branches and completely ruin the aesthetics of the entire tree, and some do no trimming at all and the tree looks like it needs an overdue haircut.

It's really too bad because oaks can be great looking trees if they are given the space to fully grow as far out as it naturally tends to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House