Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah I'm quickly learning that you pay for quiet haha

The quiet Honda 2000W one is about $1000 compared to some random brand 2000W one that isn't quiet is like $200. Hmmm
Most "inverter generators" are extremely quiet. Honda and Yamaha are easily the quietest, but even "loud" inverter generators are quiet because they can idle down when not running a heavy load.

I personally have a Ryobi inverter generator (sold by Home Depot), and when it's on eco mode it's no louder to my ears than a Honda. It's the inverter that does it- if you buy a non-inverter generator, it has to run at 3600rpm regardless of the load in order to generate the 60hz alternating current. The inverter generators can give 60hz even at idle.

Don't fall for the trap of the $200 non-inverter generators though, those things are so loud they can wake the dead. I got my Ryobi from craigslist for $300 and it's perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Can anyone clarify why a lot of advice online says to never use extension cords on generators? I'm supposed to plug myvstuff directly into the generator somehow? Most household things have a short cord. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:06 PM

244 posts, read 514,498 times
I found this article about it that describes the difference between the wires.
http://www.generatorgrader.com/exten...le-generators/

I think people like GenCords which plug into the 20-30 amp 4 prong cord that then splits into 3-4 120 volt outlets for household appliances like a small heater or TV ect. With that you only have one wire running from the Generator to the house but have 3-4 outlets.

Now that being said they seem kinda pricey I think you would be fine using a regular old extension cord just get one of the Heavy duty one that has a bigger AWG.

The reason I think they dont like extension cords is due to resistance in the wires while under use with long cord length. So with lots of resistance means heat which could spark a fire.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:22 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
A standby generator is very convenient to have..... However, you have to run it every so often, plus the problem of storing cans of gasoline...

Do you heat with natural gas or heat pump ¿

Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
I found this article about it that describes the difference between the wires.
http://www.generatorgrader.com/exten...le-generators/

I think people like GenCords which plug into the 20-30 amp 4 prong cord that then splits into 3-4 120 volt outlets for household appliances like a small heater or TV ect. With that you only have one wire running from the Generator to the house but have 3-4 outlets.

Now that being said they seem kinda pricey I think you would be fine using a regular old extension cord just get one of the Heavy duty one that has a bigger AWG.

The reason I think they dont like extension cords is due to resistance in the wires while under use with long cord length. So with lots of resistance means heat which could spark a fire.
Thanks, that makes sense. So it sounds like the people talking are only talking about extension cords and not gen cords. I'll just get a gen cord if I go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A standby generator is very convenient to have..... However, you have to run it every so often, plus the problem of storing cans of gasoline...

Natural gas.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:09 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, I guess I've touched a nerve by wanting to keep my child warm. I'll rent a hotel next time. I was just asking a question and looking for suggestions.

Indoor furnace. They are portable, look like fireplace, produce NO fumes and are certified to be used inside - safely, unlike open flame heaters.

Eco-Friendly, Modern Biofuel Fireplaces For Sale | EcoSmart Fire

Old 11-18-2015, 02:18 PM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Best Portable Backup Heater? Propane? Kerosine? - Survivalist Forum

Old 11-18-2015, 03:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

Just to provide a counterpoint to this- my father passed along a generator that hadn't been used for 9 years and still had some of the old gas in it. It took some muscle to get it going (lots and lots of pull starts), but it ran fine after the first 20 mins or so.

Gas cans are annoying if you don't have a shed or a garage to keep them it; I am in agreement on that one.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
A generator that runs off natural gas and powers most of your circuits would be ideal, but not when you are renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
The other issue with extension cords is getting them from outside the house to inside -- again, closing a door or window on a cord can lead to a fire, thus the strong suggestion of using a PIB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Indoor furnace. They are portable, look like fireplace, produce NO fumes and are certified to be used inside - safely, unlike open flame heaters. Eco-Friendly, Modern Biofuel Fireplaces For Sale | EcoSmart Fire
Ethanol burners are expensive and produce minimal heat, but on the plus side, they are usually legal in OP's home state of California, unlike ventless gas heaters.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

60 posts, read 68,654 times
I am sure to be yelled at BUT, figure the circuits you need ex furnace, lights in family room, internet whatever. count the max wattage and buy an appropriate generator. You can then double plug and back feed into your system. Make sure you turn off your main and unwanted circuits. I would not suggest this for energy hogs such as ac, refrig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House