Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,403 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I am not sure if this is a warning sign for this house, but there is no GFCI outlets in the kitchen; but there are in the garage and other places around the house? Was told after the inspection. Now, how in the heck do I find out if I can just add a GFCI outlet, or if I need to hire an electrician to run an entire ground wire to the breaker box for safety?

Isnt it weird that the kitchen has no GFCI outlet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:26 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Now, how in the heck do I find out if I can just add a GFCI outlet, or if I need to hire an electrician to run an entire ground wire to the breaker box for safety?
Have an electrician test the outlets in the kitchen to see if they are grounded. It won't cost much.

Quote:
No, it just means the house was built before GFCI in the kitchen became code, and the owners just never updated it.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Have an electrician test the outlets in the kitchen to see if they are grounded. It won't cost much.

No, it just means the house was built before GFCI in the kitchen became code, and the owners just never updated it.
Yep.

The bathrooms in our 1971 house did not have them, and the inspector noted it. We had an electrician switch them out at minimal expense.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:

Not in the least.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:

I've never been in a house or apartment with them. But I've never been in a new build either.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Is there a GFCI breaker in the panel?

With regards to GFCI outlets, if you have a series of outlets, only the first needs to be GFCI and the protection then extends "downstream" in the circuit. Are there ANY nearby?

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-02-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 08:49 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
The kitchen circuits may be on a GFIC in another part of the house; this is they case in a rental house I own they are on the same circuit as the GFIC in the master bathroom.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:26 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

You don't need an electrician to check grounding. I have a little plug in device with three lights which gives you a pretty good summary of an outlets wiring.I used it whenever I did walk thrus of offices or labs where I was hooking up computers, etc when I did network admin. I also used it in my house when I bought it, on any wiring I work on (before and after). I think it cost me under $5. I gave one to each of my kids before they moved into their own place. (I also checked their dorm rooms - found one that was wired wrong, facilities fixed it)

Old 12-02-2015, 03:36 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
The answer COULD be yes, or no. It would depend on when the house was built AND the accepted code (NEC) at the time.

The problem most buyers have with this kind of information is private inspectors are not relating "code" at the time the house was built. They get so absorbed into current code that they "mis-represent" statements they make.

If the current recepticles are three-prong it is most likely the house was wired with (romex 3-wire). You can easily convert the recepticles circuits to GFCI protected. If the house is older and doesn't have the "ground"- you can still GFCI the circuits; they're just not grounded.

Today's standard is (2) 20amp circuits for a kitchen- they can be protected by the first recepticle (GFCI) and the load. Or they can be protected by GFCI 20amp breakers.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You don't need an electrician to check grounding. I have a little plug in device with three lights which gives you a pretty good summary of an outlets wiring.
Yes, but you know how to use the device. The OP doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable about things electrical; hence my recommendation to consult with an electrician, who could tell the OP exactly what would be needed to bring the kitchen circuitry (and perhaps the rest of the property) up to modern electrical code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House