Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:15 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. can anyone give a rough estimate on how much a 14 SEER full package AC unit would cost including installation?

Roger that!!
how many SQ FT are you looking to cool. are you looking for a typical central ac unit set up or a mini split do you want a heat pump or not so many things to factor in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:35 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
1600 square feet
Central ac unit
Heat pump
Package unit

Last edited by john3232; 12-25-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 07:20 PM

Most people are surprised to learn that pretty much all the top air conditioner brands rely on the same manufacturers to supply the major components such as compressors, and motors for their equipment. For example, you’ll find Copeland compressors in all the top brands of air conditioners. Similarly, all the top brands use fan motors from either AO Smith or GE. So if Goodman air conditioners are built using the same components as other, more reliable brands, there has to be some other reason Goodman ac units fair so poorly in Consumer Reports reliability rankings, right?

The top rated air conditioner brands in Consumer Reports’ annual rankings all have stringent requirements for the companies and technicians who can purchase and install their equipment. Goodman has no restrictions on who can buy and install their air conditioners. None. Zero. Nada.

A No B.S. Goodman Air Conditioner Review - Part 1

Remember, the quality of the company and the technicians responsible for installing your new air conditioner is far more important than the brand of equipment you choose to install. I would always want to install the most reliable brand, as long as I felt comfortable that I could trust the company doing the installation. If I had to choose between a top-rated air conditioner brand installed by a mediocre company, and another brand that would be installed by a company I could trust… I’d go with the company I could trust every time, and wouldn’t lose an ounce of sleep over the brand.
A No B.S. Goodman Air Conditioner Review - Part 2

So it comes down to the installers and how well they preform their job.

I`m not sure if you go with an AC company which uses trained techs quality will be guaranteed. How stringent are the training requirements? Or is this another case of employees basically learning on the job.

I`ve got a friend who is training to install IT networks. The company is planning to send him out with another more experienced tech an upcoming job. All good as long my buddy has someone to double check his work because he really doesn`t know what is doing. He`s learning on the job.

What I really need to find is an experienced AC installer who come recommended. I`ve sent an email to this company asking for info on who exactly do they use to do the installation:
https://newacunit.com/

Last edited by john3232; 12-27-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM

176 posts, read 250,937 times
Quote:
I`m thinking about installing a new AC unit for a 1600 square foot home.

Something no frills and easy to maintain for a rental property.

Any suggestions on a brand and a cost estimate including installation?

Thanks

mod note: moved from Phoenix forum
Wherever and whatever you buy, please check with your electric utility if they give rebates on a particular kind..If they do, you are in luck.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 PM

Which is preferred for AZ? A split system or package unit?

Or should I replace the AC with the same system (split or package) which was install when the home was built?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2015, 04:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Which is preferred for AZ? A split system or package unit?

Or should I replace the AC with the same system (split or package) which was install when the home was built?

Thanks
Most newer homes use split systems (either an air conditioner + gas furnace or heat pump + air handler), although this may be just for aesthetics of not having a unit on your roof. Typically tract builders currently install 14 SEER systems with a 16 SEER upgrade option (generally achieved using a furnace or air handler with an ECM blower). I think packaged units were once popular in the Phoenix area because they were basically a drop-in replacement for swamp coolers, which were usually installed on the roof.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Most newer homes use split systems (either an air conditioner + gas furnace or heat pump + air handler), although this may be just for aesthetics of not having a unit on your roof. Typically tract builders currently install 14 SEER systems with a 16 SEER upgrade option (generally achieved using a furnace or air handler with an ECM blower). I think packaged units were once popular in the Phoenix area because they were basically a drop-in replacement for swamp coolers, which were usually installed on the roof.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House