Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Not quite.

HOAs don't typically bother with what's in your house or not visible from the street.
They don't care what color flowers you plant.
You can any kind of drapes you want - no matter the color
And you can have all the toys you want in the backyard.
You can do yard work almost any time you want (just don't use loud equipment at 6 a.m. - which is usually a COUNTY or CITY ordinance anyway).
If you want to have your garage door open all the time, go for it.

Painting your house - yes, there are rules for that so that your house doesn't get painted in polka dots.
To my knowledge, in my neighborhood you can change your style of windows if you want to pay for that.

Listen, I'm not generally a fan of HOAs either (and have gotten a few letters from them over the years), but for the most part they do a reasonable job. When we did an addition on our house, we had no problems getting approval (nor did my neighbors who did one a year later). When we asked permission to do a special kind of outdoor Christmas décor that was technically against CCRs, they gave us a variance since it was to be a temporary display. When we requested permission to include a sign in our Christmas display (which is against a CCR about signage), they gave us a variance. When we had to replace our mailbox after someone mowed it down with their car, they didn't require that it be a certain kind of mailbox - it would be whatever we wanted.

Not all HOAs are evil, controlling sociopaths.

As to the OPs note, I take it to read a 4 pet maximum.
For your information and edification, here are the CCR's for a local housing development about a mile down the road.

Pioneer Road Estates » Master Covenants

I would never live there.
I wonder why they felt it necessary to forbid having an aircraft in the street or on a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 03:21 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY!
I have three cats and one dog.
I keep my motorhome parked beside the house.
I have a car, a pickup, 2 ATV's, a 14 foot box trailer, a flatbed trailer, a boat, and a 1985 Suburban television news truck project.
I am a licensed Ham radio operator. Next summer I will be putting up a 40+ foot antenna tower.
My neighbor has 7 horses on his property, a tractor under restoration in his driveway, several vehicles and boats, ATV's, motorcycles, horse trailers, a fifth wheel RV, and he shoots at geese from his rear deck.
There is no HOA to give us grief over any of the above.
We like it that way.
No idea how you are answering the question posted...

With the "and/or" I read it as you CAN have two dogs and two cats.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
One of the 6 million reasons I would NEVER own property controlled by a HOA.

Wrong color drapes ? Citation
Wrong color flowers? Citation
Garage door open? CITATION
Childen's toys in the BACK yard? CITATION
Doing yard work on the wrong day/time? CITATION

Paint your house? NO WAY
Change the style of windows? Are you nuts?

The HOA boards are nothing but a bunch of controlling Sociopaths.
I live in a SF HOA with more than 400 homes. We have one rule, no fences. Everyone knows this before they buy.

Some obviously prefer to live in tightly controlled communities. If a majority of owners preferred a more " live and let live" community, they would make the effort to have rules reflect their interests.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:04 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
I think it is perfectly clear. You can have 0 to 2 cats and you can have 0 to 2 dogs.
i read it as they are trying to avoid lonely pets that probably make more noise than pairs.
heres my guess:
Quote:
c d = result
0 0 = yes
0 1 = no
0 2 = yes
1 0 = no
1 1 = no
1 2 = no
2 0 = yes
2 1 = no
2 2 = yes
anything 3 or more would = no.
my parents hoa doesnt allow cable tv/internet vans past the front gate.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-01-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Quote:

'Owner may have two dogs and/or two cats'.

???

Does that mean you can have four animals? Or two?
whats the difference between or and and/or ?
if they meant that you cant mix cats and dogs they would have to use exclusive-or (either-or).

Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
The wording specifically states you are allowed have 4 pets in total but only in the combination of 2 dogs AND 2 cats. The and/ countermands the /or.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
My neighborhood's HOA has that rule and interprets it to mean you can have 4 pets but no more than two dogs and no more than two cats.

They don't enforce it here unless someone complains, and all that enforcing it means is that they send a letter telling them they're exceeding the pet limit. I complained about a neighbor once because he had 5 very ill-kept dogs...you could look through the fence and see the ticks hanging all over the dogs. I was treating my dogs and my yard and the ticks still came in (probably because my back door is only 6 feet from the neighbor's fence). One of my kids caught something from a tick bite, so I complained, the HOA sent the letter, and the neighbor found homes for three of the dogs.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
The way it's worded, it looks like up to 4 animals are allowed...but clarification should be asked for. I bet they meant up to 2 animals in any combination.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Quote:

'Owner may have two dogs and/or two cats'.

???

Does that mean you can have four animals? Or two?
This is how I read it: Owner may have two dogs and two cats, and, Owner may have two dogs or two cats. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. If an owner is allowed to have 4 total pets, why just say so? I imagine the intent is two pets, but as written, it suggests a total of four.

Since you don't want to bring the HOA police down on you, levying a fine, I'd get an interpretation from a human who is on the HOA board.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:06 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
As others have said, it means that you can have up to two dogs and two cats.

I'm curious, though. Why do they prohibit three dogs or three cats, if you're under four pets total? Is it to prohibit dog or cat hoarding?? (Craz cat lady)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House