Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
You are going to have people on both sides of the question.

Personally, and without seeing the constraints of your particular space, I would keep a tub. And I am in my 60s...

Since you just bought the house, you will be there for a while, right?
Do what YOU like.
Opinions and preferences can be different when you decide to sell.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
We love baths and paid our builder to put in a deeper tub when we built. But, I know older people shy away from tubs as a safety issue. My in-laws didn't want a tub and had a hard time finding a builder 10 years ago that would omit it. Now it seems very common to not have a tub in the master so if you won't use it and the resale in your neighborhood is geared toward older couples I'd omit it.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
We're in that agegroup and recently renovated our master bath. We removed the tub and now have only a shower. Love it. My feeling is as long as there is "a" tub in the house, whether an additional one is in the master isn't important. YMMV.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
As long as there's another tub in the house, remodel your master bath as you wish.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
The man who designed/built our house told me that he always tries to put one of those whirlpool like bathtubs in a house (ours is in the master bathroom off from our bedroom) if he feels as though there is enough room for one.

We like ours. It was very nice and well worth it esp after moving from one location to this house and helping Mr C unload a trailer we rented. I felt like my arms were going to fall off after all those boxes we moved off from the trailer into the garage. Sure was a relief to me.

Maybe in your age group that may not be a necessity but it is indeed a plus factor for many and at different times. I kinda wish we had another electrical outlet and perhaps in wall shelving.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We are remodeling the master bath in the home we just purchased. This particular home appeals to the empty nester/retirees.There is a second bathroom with a standard tub.

We are on the fence whether to keep the tub or remove it. We are mindful of resale, yet many in our age group (55-65) nix the bathtub.

What would you do? Keep the tub or remove it? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I think you should do whatever you like, it's your place!

The hubby and I, were in our 50's, so when we bought this place 9 years ago the master bedroom had no bath yet the room to do it, we never done it. We have found we both prefer to use the two other separates bathroom located at each end of the house, in face we turned the joining bedroom & bath made it a dressing room as well, so I have a private place to dress all my things right there. We prefer the privacy and not disturbing the other while sleeping with showers or flushing toilets closet doors opening etc, etc in our master bedroom....

Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I can tell you that I refuse to use my master bath because it has a shower stall and a tub. I can't stand the shower stall. I'll turn around and bang into the walls and knock the door and have it fly open..

So.. That would be a consideration for me and possibly something to consider for future selling of the house.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
My house needs a big tub for two in the master, it is used more than the shower. My husband and I are in that 55-65 age group. That said, any house we buy does not need to have a tub. If the price is right, and the room is there, I can put in a tub.

If you are going to be in the house 10 years, make it the way you want it. Any bath over 10 years old is a candidate for updating, and likely will be customized to fit the new owner. Just make sure your bath isn't so weird that the next buyers would have to tear it out before they moved in.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:28 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
My husband and I plan (right now) on retiring in place, but when we remodel our master bathroom (someday!) we plan on getting rid of the tub and putting in a double steam shower with a built-in bench. this way, if you wanna sit, you can sit, and if you wanna stand, you can stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House