Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 AM

563 posts, read 1,787,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's interesting seeing how things like this are so different in every state. My son-in-law installed a transfer panel on my last house so I could switch the whole house over to generator power. He's not licensed at this time, but was once in another state, so qualifications were not an issue to me. No permit needed, no inspection needed and no problems when I went to sell the house. It's so simple here, I can buy a piece of property, hire a contractor and build a house without any involvement from the borough. And I'm talking legally. There is no permit required to build a house or make any improvements. And that's just fine by me. And this does not cause problems because no contractor will build a house that isn't totally up to code because no bank will finance it. Life is much easier when government stays out of the way.
I hear what you are saying, but building and remodeling can be two different things. I already have a house financed, but the (licensed/bonded) electrician I hired to replace the existing electrical panel, apparently didn't want to ground it to the metal hose bib that was on the other side of the house. Of course i found out about this only after the city inspector came by and failed the inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
The main question is, what are the laws in your state governing homeowner doing work? Then, does your municipality have anything that might make that more stringent?

In NC, you can do electrical or plumbing work on your own house and as log as it passes inspection, you're OK. You can do some HVAC also, but federal law states to do the refrigerant work you have to be licensed. You can perform as the general contractor and build your own house, but you do have to live in it for one year. If you do not and get caught, you will be considered as an unlicensed contractor and can be fined according to those laws.

Now, with the living there for one year thing, this is clearly stated up front by all the various municipal building departments as part of their permit process.

So, basically, you need to do some checking of what the laws are. I would start by checking with the board or agency that licenses electricians in your state.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
I would start by asking the Code Enforcement office for a copy of the appropriate regulation that they are requesting the letter under. If they cannot produce a legitimate requirement for the letter then I would ask why they need it.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
So write the letter. It doesnt bind you to anything. Unexpected changes made you move in one year. They likely will never know anyway.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Most likely a rogue person in code enforcement playing Paul Blart. I'd ignore it if it passed inspection.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:05 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Probably at least a brief consult with a local lawyer who works in this area is in order. Might help to say where you are now, if you want someone to post up specific ideas.

The requirement you continue to own the house for 5 years - is this so if you did something wrong they didn't catch, it will still belong to you when it burns down?!
How about so no one can take action against the inspector if there is something wrong?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I would ask for the exact part of your local building code that states a letter is required.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Most likely a rogue person in code enforcement playing Paul Blart. I'd ignore it if it passed inspection.
Spoke to a master electrician next town over. He said they're known for ridiculous requests like that when people pull their own permits and to just brush it off. Even if I signed it, it's not enforcible.

Also contacted head of code enforcement and asked him. He wasn't sure and was going to check into it and never heard back. Nor has Google shown any other instances of this.

On a side note; anyone familiar with how state laws and local codes go together? As in state law trumps local, or vice versa.

I.E. Town says a homeowner can't pull a permit for x (Electrical plumbing etc) but state law says a homeowner can do the work himself.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What happens is you get shoddy work from people that are supposed to be professionals or homeowners that should not be doing the work themselves. To prevent this you have inspectors, this drives up the costs for knowledgeable homeowners whether they are doing the work themselves or having someone else do it.

Where I live there is huge conflict of interest because the inspectors are getting a percentage, it's within their interests to make it expensive.

That's why you hire someone who is licensed, bonded and insured, if you're having something done by a professional.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Spoke to a master electrician next town over. He said they're known for ridiculous requests like that when people pull their own permits and to just brush it off. Even if I signed it, it's not enforcible.

Also contacted head of code enforcement and asked him. He wasn't sure and was going to check into it and never heard back. Nor has Google shown any other instances of this.

On a side note; anyone familiar with how state laws and local codes go together? As in state law trumps local, or vice versa.

I.E. Town says a homeowner can't pull a permit for x (Electrical plumbing etc) but state law says a homeowner can do the work himself.

It all depends on state law. Some states say towns can't preempt state law, other states allow towns to have tougher regulations. You just have to figure out how your state does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House