Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times

Advertisements

My granite is sealed, once when installed and once again 9 years later. To clean, I use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water. It cleans well and leaves a nice shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 AM

314 posts, read 237,462 times
thanks everyone, I will try some of your methods. We have black galaxy granite I think and everything shows, was looking at what everyone else was using. Thank you again

Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitu8 View Post
Sealing is recommended for two reasons...The other is radon.
Rubbish!!!
I'm betting you tell this to buyers also(?) I wish REAgents would stick to what they should know- the legal aspects of selling property.

As previously mentioned- the WHOLE UNDERSIDE of granite slabs ARE NOT sealed.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
How often is re-sealing recommended? Is there a DIY option?
Lots and LOTS of opinions on this. Probably just as many as there are products out there....

It's very much a DIY thing with some products (that recommend a 1 year re-application cycle from what I've seen, some claim up to 20 years of protection but still suggest a 1-year cycle), but there are other products that the pros tend to use and you wouldn't Want to due to fumes or a more involved application process.

Near as I can tell, there's no concrete "proof" for either side of the argument. The best pro-seal aspects I can find (claims, no idea if it's truth) are that if you choose to put raw products directly on the stone that are carriers for bacteria, that bacteria can hide out in the pores and contaminate other things. I don't know anyone who doesn't use a cutting board, so this is really a null-argument. The other main one is that it prevents staining. I certainly don't have any stains on mine (came with the much-neglected house, I seriously doubt the prior owners sealed ~ they couldn't be bothered to do DIY wiring projects right and nearly burned the house down), but that's just my personal experience.

That said, I do seal mine yearly. One $15 bottle will last a lifetime and it takes about 15 minutes all said and done. Not a big deal, don't care if it's needed or not as it doesn't Hurt anything.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Mine counter top is sealed, and I use Dr. Bronner's lemon castile soap. Just a couple of drops with plenty of water and a soft cloth. It leaves a silky finish when buffed dry. Also a nice scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House