Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

I can see the utility of it and I would imagine in another 30 or so years, this kind of technology will be the norm. But it's not compelling enough to me to spend that kind of money on it at this point.

One thing about the door handles though - I have a Samsung and one of the main reasons I got it was because it did not have protruding handles. My fridge is in a corner and having the handle being flush with the door gives me another couple of inches of clearance for opening the door. Samsung and LG were the only two brands of the mainstream brands that offered this feature. It doesn't really feel like you are reaching in to open the door, you just are grabbing the edge of the door and pulling. I like that it's very sleek and clean looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:15 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
I'm holding out for a connected toilet.

It will know when I'm out of TP, when I need to eat more fiber, when I need Miralax, etc. It will share this information with my social network, and I will be able to chat with "toilet buddies" on the handy touch screen. I'll be able to post "selfies". My insurance company will charge me a lower premium in exchange for my fecal data. It will remind me to conserve water ("if it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!").

I just can't wait!

Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,910 times
The internet of things is highly overrated! I have non of that Nest crap. Nothing in my house is tied into the internet except my computer.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
People who said this was "technology for the sake of technology" probably never been in a situation when they were at a grocery store trying to remember if there were any eggs left in the fridge. ...
Um, before I go grocery shopping I take 5 minutes to do a "last check" to see what I have and what I need. (Actually usually it takes 2 minutes, since I usually write stuff down as I use it up.) If I am about to run out of eggs, I use a pen to hand-write "eggs" on my shopping list. Then I put said list in my pocket and take it to the store with me.

As others have said: the more parts, the more parts that can break. I'm not a Luddite, but I really don't need my refrigerator to do anything except keep my food cold.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:26 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, for many of the reasons already expressed. Simpler is better, with fewer parts to break. The refrigerator wouldn't seem nearly so cute when broken. For me, reliability trumps features every time.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times
Some of the responses are pretty funny!!! I really do like the fridge - tucked away door handles not withstanding. I recommend a trip to HD test it out. It didn't seem that huge in person.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Some of the responses are pretty funny!!! I really do like the fridge - tucked away door handles not withstanding. I recommend a trip to HD test it out. It didn't seem that huge in person.
YOU should definitely buy the fridge then.

But nobody else is going to bother driving to HD just to check out something they think is stupid, which the majority of real world people do I suspect.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
YOU should definitely buy the fridge then.

But nobody else is going to bother driving to HD just to check out something they think is stupid, which the majority of real world people do I suspect.
Lol , just a suggestion not a mandate.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
What are the other ways we can keep track of food quantity? Sensors on shelves? I wouldn't mind that: my husband always complains about my lack of systematic approach when I put stuff in the fridge and he might have a point.

Technology often keeps us organized in life, why not in the kitchen too?
Have you seen the Amazon Dash buttons? They're small buttons that you can mount by your staples and dry goods like laundry soap, trash bags, coffee, razors, granola bars, etc. When you are running low, you click the button and Amazon sends you another batch in the quantity you set up with them. It's not for fresh food, but I imagine that's not far behind. I think it's pretty cool.

And I agree about having tech that will break down and be expensive to fix. I did see a less fancy Samsung fridge at Home Depot last weekend. I like the door-in-door and removable bins, as well as the darker stainless finish.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, before I go grocery shopping I take 5 minutes to do a "last check" to see what I have and what I need.
You don't have the need for this technology then. My grocery shopping is not always planned, sometimes I go after work after a busy day without a shopping list. Sometimes I go with a shopping list but forget to check if I ran out of basics that I don't buy often. If I plan to bake a cake, most of the time I do check if I have flour before going to get some heavy whipping cream, but sometimes I don't.

My point was that some people will get the use out of this technology, so it's not just for the sake of "being there". When it becomes cheaper, it may have a market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House