Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:53 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times

Advertisements

8-9 of 10. Would like larger garage and separate master bath shower which is now part of the garden tub. A 5 year old new build so no maintenance issues. No plans to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:22 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedyshortsgamer View Post
out of 10

I would give mine about 7.5 to 8

The title of the thread- "Rate your House?"

OP- I'm curious. What exactly did you think you were going to get from this question? It's pretty clear that everyone thinks "their home" is the Taj Mahal- or damn near close.

It would probably be a lot different if there had been parameters set for certain conditions- age, location, price versus median, proximities to certain conveniences, work, schools, etc.

As for my initial post- "livable". Is it the Taj Mahal; no. Could it be better, bigger, more amenities, closer to this or that- yes. But it time for more enjoyable things- instead of constantly doing things related to what I live in. That's exactly all anyone needs to know.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
7 its a solid built old house, but I could say 10 because its paid for

Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The title of the thread- "Rate your House?"

OP- I'm curious. What exactly did you think you were going to get from this question? It's pretty clear that everyone thinks "their home" is the Taj Mahal- or damn near close.

It would probably be a lot different if there had been parameters set for certain conditions- age, location, price versus median, proximities to certain conveniences, work, schools, etc.

As for my initial post- "livable". Is it the Taj Mahal; no. Could it be better, bigger, more amenities, closer to this or that- yes. But it time for more enjoyable things- instead of constantly doing things related to what I live in. That's exactly all anyone needs to know.

LOL I don't even WANT the Taj Mahal or some sort of luxury home - but of course most people who go shopping for a home to rent or buy choose one they think they're going to like over one that's got issues they know of and don't want to deal with.

We almost didn't buy our house because we were a little intimidated by the whole remodeling the kitchen thing. I'd only done cosmetic stuff prior to that big project. Prior to the remodeled kitchen, I probably would have rated my house a 6 or so. It was a terrible kitchen!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Depends on the day. Our house was built in 1836 and added on to in 1850 and 1868. We moved it in 2006 and built a new kitchen mudroom and sunroom out of old materials. We had to make some compromises. We did not finsih some of the planned work.

While the house has an amazing history and some awesome features, it is an old farm house. I love histopric houses, but prefer victorian era homes. This one is a bit plain for my usual references. However now that we have been in it for a time, I do nto think I would trade it for the coolest Victorian around.

I cannot give it a 10 because some of the compromises we had to make and some of the things we had to put off for alter and still have not done. Our original plan for moving, basement, and adding the kitchen, and restoration came in at $1.1 million. Our revised plan was just over half that amount. It is hard to not wish for hte things you had to give up. But it is the unfinished things that are more of a disappointment.

For example we put in AC ducting but never bought the $6000 HV ac unit. So when it is really hot, our house is a 2.2

When I have a party and give people history tours, it is a 10.

When I walk barefoot on the gravel driveway we could not get paved, it is a 4.5

When the shower leaks and causes plaster in the back parlor to fall off the ceiling it is a -18.

When the kids were little and they and a dozen friends ran screaming in and out up and down through the 8 exterior doors, 3 porches, and 4 staircases, it was a 200. It is the most awesome house for 7-12 year olds.

When water would not stop coming into my daughters basement bedroom and she had to move into the rec room for the rest of high school (2 years) because no one could figure out why or how to stop it, it dropped back down into the single digits.

When I finished my other daughter's queen sized bed hanging from vines from the cieling in her jungle room, it went back up near 10.

Today, I left in the ark and when I finally get home after Kiwnais, all I will do ig go upstairs to bed, so I will mostly see the front of the house and the stairs, so I will give it an 8.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I would give it a 7-8. I really like the floor plan, and it has all the space we need. I would like to update the kitchen, but that is purely aesthetic as the kitchen functions just fine. I don't want to change the layout, just some of the finishes.

The biggest negative is the garage. It's technically 2-car, but you really can't get 2 cars in there and comfortably open the doors or get in and out. So a 3-car would be great. I also wish our driveway weren't so steep. That probably wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have to park one of the cars on it (refer to the previous complaint).

I do like the location - at the end of a cul-de-sac and backing up to green space. And out neighbors are all awesome, which is great.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
10+! but we just bought it three months ago. Love everything about it, backs up to a park and lots of kids around. Also walking distance to my son's school. Only negative is that my husband's commute increased about 15 minutes (to a whopping 25 minutes).

Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I'd rate mine a 7. It is in a nice quiet neighborhood, convenient to everything, has good city services, has two nice big garages and is in good repair with mature landscaping.
It gets downgraded for structure issues which cannot really be corrected, like narrow hallways and doorways, low ceilings, no pantry. It could bump up to an 8 after we upgrade more appliances and replace the aging HVAC system.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,637 times
Hi everyone. Its my first post here and it seems appropriate to bring this topic back to life. Id have to rate our house as a 9.5 but we are still in the "honeymoon" phase since we just moved in a few months ago. It is an incredible log cabin in a great location. We used to stay in log cabins when we went on family vacations but now we never leave the house! The only reason it isnt a 10 is the steep driveway, which is the tradeoff for the view.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:44 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockey View Post
Hi everyone. Its my first post here and it seems appropriate to bring this topic back to life. Id have to rate our house as a 9.5 but we are still in the "honeymoon" phase since we just moved in a few months ago. It is an incredible log cabin in a great location. We used to stay in log cabins when we went on family vacations but now we never leave the house! The only reason it isnt a 10 is the steep driveway, which is the tradeoff for the view.
Beautiful house, but the CTS-V parked in front is what got my attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House