Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 AM

341 posts, read 302,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Does your day end at noon?
10-12 is half a day to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
We live in a "closer, suburban neighborhood" and we care very much about the way our yard looks. Our lawn is well-manicured (by my husband), better than those maintained by the pros that work at the neighbor's house and often come too early.

It's not necessary to care for a yard before 9 AM weekdays and 10 AM weekends in order to maintain a nice lawn and/or shrubs. My husband uses an electric mower and that is quieter and less-polluting than a gas mower. We have also learned this year that we can water less and the lawn is still green.

To say that lawn mowing is a positive noise, if it is done outside the stated hours, above, or the equipment is loud, is nonsense.
Bonus Progressive Green Points for your electric mower. *Good for you!* Lawn mowing IS a positive noise, along with the sounds of children playing, or power tools that can be heard when a neighbor is working on a project in their open garage. The sounds that used to attract other neighbors over to see and chat... These are the sounds of positive, productive people.

I'm not saying you shouldn't sleep in on Saturday if you want... Please do!

But... If you don't want to hear other people doing perfectly normal suburban activities, if you are a light sleeper who will be angered by neighborhood noises, you're destined to be unhappy. Buy either a condo, or something more than a postage stamp sized lot... for your sake! Not theirs. I find the sounds of the neighbor's mowing to be great ambiance for my naps, personally. It sure beats barking dogs or domestic disputes! People pay big money for soothing whale sounds or a waterfall... a good mower is even better, IMHO.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not everyone spends their Saturday hanging around the house with nothing to do but mow. When our kids were young we often spent all day at sporting or other events. By 10 a.m. we were either gone or preparing to leave for the day. Or it's a day we have set aside for larger projects so we might try to get chores (to include mowing) done first, in order to focus the remainder of the day on that project. Personally we don't usually mow before 9 or so, but I understand why someone might.

Not to mention Dr's hours, banks, haircuts, food shopping, etc, etc.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
10-12 is half a day to you?
Apparently it is to you if by 10am half your day is wasted already

Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
For me it should be 10am. Someone here just mowed their lawn at 8:45am. To me that's way too early
Probably depends on your area of the country. I'd say it's whatever the norm is for your neighborhood.

I live in a hot area. Most homes hire out the mowing. Many of the mowers get going at 8 to 9 a.m., since they want to get all their lawns done before the hottest part of the day hits. That's just the way it is. No one complains. And most people are up, going to work or starting their weekend, anyway.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:53 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Our county law:

(h) Unless otherwise addressed by this chapter, the operation of power lawn equipment, including but not limited to lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, trimmers and edgers:
(1)
Between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. when operated within 100 yards from a residential dwelling, or
(2)
Between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. when operated 100 yards or more from a residential dwelling, or
(3)
Between 9 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. for golf course maintenance when operated 50 yards or more from a residential dwelling; or
(4)
Between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. for golf course maintenance when operated less than 50 yards from a residential dwelling.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Apparently it is to you if by 10am half your day is wasted already
Nice try. Some people actually wake up at 5 in the morning, but those aren't probably the folks complaining about mowing at 8:45.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:36 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Nice try. Some people actually wake up at 5 in the morning, but those aren't probably the folks complaining about mowing at 8:45.
Yes, and as a courtesy to those who aren't early worms it's best to not mow that early (talking about weekends here). I get it, 10am is probably asking too much. 9am should be the cutoff.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Unless you work third shift, or are aged 14-22, how do you sleep past 9AM on a weekend?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:29 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Yes, and as a courtesy to those who aren't early worms it's best to not mow that early (talking about weekends here). I get it, 10am is probably asking too much. 9am should be the cutoff.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Sorry but even 9 is asking too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House