Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:41 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Thought everybody knew to cover drip pans with aluminum foil, then toss the aluminum foil?? Or is aluminum foil just too unsightly? Hey you make your choices in life I guess. Aluminum foil makes more sense than heavy scrubbing to me.

From this thread, I am more amazed there are people still using their kitchen range enough to get it dirty than I am what kind of range they like/dislike. Or is this just the remains of generation that actually cooked on a range for more than Thanksgiving dinner.

Kinda like those threads proclaiming people will die from indoor pollution caused by gas range. Seriously? The current generations that live on takeout and nuked convenience foods? I have known couple people that heated their apartment with their kitchen range waiting for landlord to repair the furnace. Didnt seem to have killed them.
Imagine the waste (and cost) that would go into lining a tray with foil and then throwing it away with every spill. That's disgusting! Aside from that I'd rather scrub the drip tray then go through the trouble of having to wrap the thing in foil every time I cook. What a a pain in the neck that would be. I have to wash the dishes anyway, what's one more?

I have no idea what you mean about people "still using their ranges". How else would they cook?

As for using a gas oven to heat your house when there's no heat, well, like another poster said, it won't kill you, until it does. There are other safer options such as stay somewhere else until the heat is fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 04:15 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,264,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Freezing to death cause of a lazy landlord will kill you too, choose your poison. Also means the manufacturer of stove and builder of the kitchen its installed in needs to be sued cause they didnt properly engineer for safety. Baking bread 24/7 or cooking for hours for Thanksgiving is safe? but heating with stove is not? Care to explain the difference? One assumes people arent storing old newspapers in/on the stove while its in operation.... nor throwing gasoline on it while in operation. Hey you cant absolutely protect for stupid short of banning everything locking everybody into padded cells.
The door is generally closed when cooking... and generally not if you're using it to heat the house.

My point, which you almost certainly already knew, was that it doesn't blow up the house or put folks to sleep all the time. Buit it happens enough that people have to keep saying it's not the smartest thing to do.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Imagine the waste (and cost) that would go into lining a tray with foil and then throwing it away with every spill. That's disgusting! Aside from that I'd rather scrub the drip tray then go through the trouble of having to wrap the thing in foil every time I cook. .
You don't do that. You line it with foil and toss the foil when enough spills build up to be an issue. Maybe every few months. Same as you do in the oven. Look, you've got red hot heating coils an inch away - anything you spill turns to carbon in about ten minutes. It's not going to smell or attract insects. It just looks ugly. If you're really that concerned about what the pans, UNDER the coils of your stove, look like, I'd suggest you need more work to do. For me, a stove is a tool. It needs to be sanitary but it doesn't need to look like an operating room. I'm too busy cooking food on it to worry about a few drops of some carbonized spilled stuff down under the burner.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:45 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You don't do that. You line it with foil and toss the foil when enough spills build up to be an issue. Maybe every few months. Same as you do in the oven. Look, you've got red hot heating coils an inch away - anything you spill turns to carbon in about ten minutes. It's not going to smell or attract insects. It just looks ugly. If you're really that concerned about what the pans, UNDER the coils of your stove, look like, I'd suggest you need more work to do. For me, a stove is a tool. It needs to be sanitary but it doesn't need to look like an operating room. I'm too busy cooking food on it to worry about a few drops of some carbonized spilled stuff down under the burner.

Huh, if you say so. I simple wash the drip tray with the rest of the dishes if something spills or boils over. Wash under the pan, on the "floor" of the stove top, too of course. The drip trays do have some hardened on spots. I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of the things, as long as I know they are clean, perhaps that part of your post is directed at someone else. House proud I am not lol.

And I certainly don't put foil in my oven. I suppose you mean to catch spatters? How would that help? It won't protect the sides of the oven. The heating element is on the bottom, if I put foil above it my oven is going to have to work a lot harder to cook whatever is in there.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:22 PM

30,418 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Huh, if you say so. I simple wash the drip tray with the rest of the dishes if something spills or boils over. Wash under the pan, on the "floor" of the stove top, too of course. The drip trays do have some hardened on spots. I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of the things, as long as I know they are clean, perhaps that part of your post is directed at someone else. House proud I am not lol.

And I certainly don't put foil in my oven. I suppose you mean to catch spatters? How would that help? It won't protect the sides of the oven. The heating element is on the bottom, if I put foil above it my oven is going to have to work a lot harder to cook whatever is in there.
I never used foil in my oven. It's self cleaning but i never use it unless it gets very cold and that is never anymore in FL. Mine never gets that dirty and i use it all the time.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My wife does the cooking--and she can point out Bobby Flay's screw-ups--but I do the cleaning, and I agree with you.

She would still be happier with gas. Induction burners are not as bad as electric coils, but they're only not as bad as electric coils...not better than gas.
Out of curiosity, have you and wife cooked on induction?

Why do you think they are not better than gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House