Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 05:16 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,299,846 times

Advertisements

We had an Amana brand smooothtop purchased new in probably 1996. Used that until 2010 and it was great. Moved to new construction and the Maytag smoothtop that came with it would scratch if you looked at it wrong. Replaced it after a couple years with a Samsung model that didn't scratch as easily, but still scratched badly. Lived with it for several years. Retired and moved, bought a higher end LG. It seems to be more scratch resistent, but it doesn't heat up reliably. None of the four burners are predictable. The oven, though, is fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 11:03 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,286,217 times
I have a Whirlpool and I love it!

Old 07-25-2022, 01:16 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Glass stovetops don't work well for canning because the heat they create is not continuous (the temperature is goes up to a point and the burner turns off momentarily, then back up). But the heat from a gas stove is controlled by you or the person using it, and it stays put unless you change it. A canner needs high and continuous temperatures.
I despise my glass top stove. Three of the four burners are now dead. I'm going to start canning again and I'm probably going to buy a Carolina Cooker outdoor stove. We don't have a gas line to our kitchen and it may be awhile before get one.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:25 PM

4,564 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Just buy a standard Calrod stovetop (or complete stove, depending on the installation). They're essentially problem-free and if anything goes wrong there's almost nothing in there to repair. Generally it's the element; you yank the old one out (they just pull out) take it down to the appliance parts store, get a replacement, shove it in, done.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:53 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
HA, you say!!!!!!!

I was attempting to separate some frozen meat by bashing it on the side of my stove. Well, some nincompoop decided to make the top of my stove out of, not steel, but glass.

OK, you can guess the rest >>>>> I struck a blow with the frozen mass of meat directly
onto the whimpy glass-top of my stove, shattering it all over the place.

Not a big fan of glass stove-tops.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:38 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I despise my glass top stove. Three of the four burners are now dead. I'm going to start canning again and I'm probably going to buy a Carolina Cooker outdoor stove. We don't have a gas line to our kitchen and it may be awhile before get one.
That would be perfect. All you would need is a small propane tank, and a propane hose with a regulator, but some stoves include the hose/regulator. Most sports stores have them, including Sportsman Warehouse. I have also seen them at Lowe's and Home Depot, and Cabela's.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,859,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelita rippeon View Post
I started using a glass top stove this month. And very sorry I bought it. I am constantly cleaning it and am afraid to get anything on it..
Why didn’t you buy induction?

Old 07-26-2022, 04:24 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,331,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
HA, you say!!!!!!!

I was attempting to separate some frozen meat by bashing it on the side of my stove. Well, some nincompoop decided to make the top of my stove out of, not steel, but glass.

OK, you can guess the rest >>>>> I struck a blow with the frozen mass of meat directly
onto the whimpy glass-top of my stove, shattering it all over the place.

Not a big fan of glass stove-tops.

Why would you do that? That's not a problem with the stove, that's just a problem with you doing something stupid. Might as well have said you tried to bash it against your kitchen window because it's a solid surface, too.

Mine still looks really decent and works perfectly, and I've had it since 2007... Occasionally I'll clean it with a razor blade and some barkeep's friend and it's just. not. an. issue. I mean, our current housemate is an ex-executive chef and he can make a mess, but it's easily cleaned. This is a pic of it this morning just before posting.

Would I like gas? Maybe, though it seems kind of dangerous around here (had a few houses blow up due to faulty gas lines in the last few years), but it was going to cost $30k to run a gas line down our street to the house, so that is right out.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone else besides me hate the glass top stoves?-stovetop.jpg  

Old 07-26-2022, 04:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I have a gas stove with the tops raised and I hate cleaning it. When so much get a drop of water on it the water makes a stain that is hard to get out. My favorite easy off top stove cleaner is no longer being sold

I was considering getting coils or the flat top electric glass stove. But my biggest pet peeve is not having gas oven. I was told by a salesman they make the top gas and oven electric but I think he is wrong about that. How can the top stove be gas when it has the flat glass on top with the white/grey rings to show where to put the pot, pan? makes no sense to me.

I think my next one will be the coils on top but then how do I clean them? When food gets stuck on the grill on mine it's is very hard to clean off and sometimes it bakes right into the darn raised grill.

When stuff gets on the burners you burn it off. Turn the burner to the high setting and turn on the exhaust fan. Stand there and watch it. When the stuff is all burnt off, turn it off.

I am another who would never get a glass top. I hate them. My old GE electric range with coil burners and the control dials on the back of it (on top), rather than directly over the oven door (who invented THAT idiocy?) is 36 years old and still works, every burner still works, and the oven still works.

I suppose it's not as energy efficient as new ones but I'm only cooking for myself after all.

I had to have a new cord put on it, because this house had a gas range which I immediately took out. Paid an electrician a lot of money for a dedicated outlet, but my stove is so old the prongs didn't fit. New cord solved that problem.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:55 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,383,526 times
"Does anyone else besides me hate the glass top stoves?"...I'm just the opposite. During the kitchen reno, spouse just had to have a dual fuel gas convection range. It replaced a nice, easy to clean glass cooktop range. Sure you had to keep on top of spills before they got burned onto the surface, but that was simple compared to this Thor range. Instead of just cleaning a nice flat surface, now I need to remove the 3 grates, and clean the wells around the burner caps , then the caps....just a PITA.
I always used cast iron on the glass...just careful about setting down and not sliding them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House