Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 11:04 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times

Advertisements

It's easy to say "don't ever slide a pan with a rough bottom on the glass" or "don't ever drop a heavy pan". Until you make a mistake or have an accident. So, because I misjudged how hot or slippery a pan's handle is, I am to be punished by having to replace the big broken sheet of glass?

Personally I would prefer to have a stove that is more mistake-tolerant than that. You can do pretty much anything to the old Cal-Rods and they will take it. If you line the little cups under them with tinfoil and replace it every so often, the cleaning problem becomes nonexistent, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My glass top stove uses induction heat. Stuff doesn't burn on the glass and the surface doesn't heat up.
You can literally pull a pan of boiling water off the burner and put your hand on it.
The pan or the stove top?
Clarification, please?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's easy to say "don't ever slide a pan with a rough bottom on the glass" or "don't ever drop a heavy pan". Until you make a mistake or have an accident. So, because I misjudged how hot or slippery a pan's handle is, I am to be punished by having to replace the big broken sheet of glass?

Personally I would prefer to have a stove that is more mistake-tolerant than that. You can do pretty much anything to the old Cal-Rods and they will take it. If you line the little cups under them with tinfoil and replace it every so often, the cleaning problem becomes nonexistent, too.
Amen, sister (or brother)

Old 10-09-2017, 05:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Nothing like living in fear of something that may (probably) will never happen.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Gas stove with sealed burners. A dream to use, and easy to clean.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Yah. I think most of us would like to cook with gas (except my best friend whose housecoat sleeve caught fire when she reached over the front burner to pick up something on the back burner and she couldn't get the belt untied and suffered burns from which she died 3 days later). That was a bad thing, but I don't think it happens that often, and I actually do like cooking with gas.

But gas is not available everywhere, so lots and lots of us have to make do with electricity.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
First thing is gas stoves can be set up to use Propane that is available everywhere.

I have used stoves fueled by gas, natural and propane, naphtha (Colman Fuel), wood and/or coal, Cal-rod and flat plate electric. Of all of these I really liked the wood/coal stove because the entire cast iron top heated up and I could control the cooking by where I placed the pot or pan. Another advantage was the stove heated the kitchen which soon became the only warm room in the house in an upstate NY winter. This was over 55 years ago.

I now use a glass top electric and like it very much since I learned to work with the long delay time in the heat. I clean mine by scraping with a sharp knife or single edge razor followed by class to stove cleaner.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I have used stoves fueled by gas, natural and propane, naphtha (Colman Fuel), wood and/or coal, Cal-rod and flat plate electric. Of all of these I really liked the wood/coal stove because the entire cast iron top heated up and I could control the cooking by where I placed the pot or pan. Another advantage was the stove heated the kitchen which soon became the only warm room in the house in an upstate NY winter. This was over 55 years ago.
I've used lots of those, too, and was extremely thankful one Christmas day when we arrived back home from picking up our daughter at the airport and found the ice had brought the electricity to the whole town down. At the time, we had a flat top wood stove in the living room and heated the house with it, so we heated up leftover chili, which became our Christmas dinner that year. We were cozy and warm. Wish I still had that stove.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've used my large cast iron skillet on my glass top about 5 times a week for the past 5 years with no problems. Just don't go slamming it around and you won't have any problems. The glass is tougher than you might think.
I use my cast iron on my glass cooktop also. I love how easy it is to wipe clean. You just have to be a bit careful, and never turn it on before wiping up any spills, because if they bake on its harder to clean.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
We have a glass top gas stove. It's a PITA to clean because the metal heat racks sit on top and you have to wipe and polish the whole thing each time otherwise you end up with wipe marks and the like. Thankfully the cleaning lady takes care of this once every other week but we still wipe it down if it gets messy.

I already told my wife when we replace the unit I am going to get one that either has the large racks that come off in 1 or 2 pieces and is either stainless or something else. The glass is terrible but if you don't cook often then sure it looks great, unfortunately we cook daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House