Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times

Advertisements

Shark Navigator Lift-Away. Reviewed very, very well against Dyson, Bissel and Oreck. Have had one two years and have no complaints. Under $150 IIRC and IMO worth every penny.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 03:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Shark 3 in 1 liftaway is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever seen.

At the push of a button it can convert from a standard vacuum to a Canister with a roll around platform, plus more. It swivels like the Dyson, but is a lot quieter and much cheaper. It does not lose suction, as you pass over a change in what you are vacuuming like most vacuums do. It is really powerful, but really quiet operating.

We find for our hard surface using the hard surface attachment and the power unit on it's carrier, it cleans them like no other vacuum ever can. Both over wood, and tile.

It is the best vacuum I have seen, but the ability to convert it to a fantastic hard surface cleaner is not something a regular vacuum can do. We have not used a dust mop for a couple of years, as this is so superior on hard surfaces.

We have a housekeeper that comes in 3 days a week, who introduced us to it when we needed a new vacuum. Her husband is a floor installer and floor repair contractor for over 20 years. This is the one he bought for his wife, as he says it is the best in the business. Here is about the cheapest place to buy it.

Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away, NV501 - Walmart.com

Here is a video test of the unit. Tester says is first vacuum they would keep for personal use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4bandr6vE

Note how easy it is to steer to move around things.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:46 PM

768 posts, read 858,461 times
Are you sure your Dyson is dead? I have one about the same age. the purple "animal" Dyson. Thought it had died, but since all the parts are virtually plastic, began slowing taking the thing apart. Cleaned it all out...ordered a couple things that, to me, didn't look right, put it back together and "voila" still using the Dyson. There is not much in the way of parts that you can't buy directly from them. Was worth it to me...just couldn't get used to using something else.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
My experience says it is best to have several vacs. One main roll about. Several brooms vacs hidden around the house for quick cleanups. One hand held portable for stairs, furniture, etc.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I had a Bissell, it was a piece of crap. I now own an Oreck that uses bags and I LOVE it.
I worked at a "gaming property" in maintenance engineering. Housekeeping used Orecks and brought them to us to fix. The guys were all busy and sometimes I'd get bored so I'd fix them. We kept repair parts and, for the most part it was just abuse that broke them but they were SO easy to fix.

Another reason I love Oreck, check out their Katrina stories. That's a great American company!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,482 times
i love my rainbow. kinda on the expensive side but worth every penny. iv'e sucked up soxs from under the bed with this thing.. to forgetting to turn down the air flow when dusting the curtains and ripping the curtains and rod right out of the wall. and when i had my carpet replaced the carpet guys asked me what i used to vacum my carpets with since there was no dirt under the carpet and i bought mine in the late 90's and dropped it down stairs and it still works great.. and i like the fact that you can get different scents for it and use it as an air freshener and a vaporizer if you can find menthol crystals to put in it. iv'e also used it to mop the floor to and to drain my water bed. so it's been through alot.

i had a shark it was a POS always dog hair in the brush roller wich died in 3 years

and i had a bissel wich wasn't bad but it was high maintance on cleaning out the filters

Old 07-29-2016, 09:35 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
OP, What's your budget? My old Dyson recently died too and I replaced it with this model. It's on sale at Lowe's for over HALF OFF. You really can't beat this price. It's sold out at many locations near me, but perhaps ones available near you.

Shop Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Multi Floor Bagless Upright Vacuum at Lowes.com

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,571 times
Get a Kirby. Case closed!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I'm amazed at all the vacuums some have owned.

Always thought a vacuum was a one time purchase... at least they are in my family.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 AM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
When the kids moved away, i gave them the old vac and bought a new one. I have 2 Shark navigators. One on each floor. They are great. Get your 20% off coupon from Bed bath and Beyond or get one at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House