Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
Hi all! Our old Dyson that I bought 7 years ago finally gave up and I am in desperate need of a new one.

Our floors are mostly hardwood and only our master's and stairs has carpet. We also have two dogs, boxer-lab mix and a chocolate lab and they both shed... A lot!
Right now, we can't afford to buy another Dyson so I would like something that is not as expensive.

I was looking at Amazon and found a couple that are under 200.
They are Shark Navigator and Bissell complete pet. Any personal reviews on those or any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Miele.
$1000

Quiet. Sucks really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP is looking for an economical vacuum.
Quote:
OP wrote: Help me find the best vacuum!
OP stated in her initial post that she is looking for a vacuum that costs about $200 or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 AM

174 posts, read 189,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have Kenmore-branded Panasonic canister vacs in both my houses. I don't quite understand why people feel the need to pay huge dollars for a vacuum cleaner when a modestly priced one works just as well.
I might have the same vacuum! And I agree, it's a very good vacuum cleaner (took it into an independent shop once with one of those owners who you could just loved vacuums and even he said that was probably the pinnacle of value). Problem is, you can't really buy one anymore. Everything is either a gimmick (cough-cough Dyson), a POC, or stupidly overpriced (seems most appliances are going this way too).

I still have my Kenmore, but I wanted a nice vacuum with a HEPA filter since I live in a older house where the possibility of lead paint/dust is ever present. Others need HEPA because of allergies. I settled on a Miele, which cost about double what I feel it was worth. Quality is at least as good as the the old Kenmore, but it's also quiet, so I am loving that.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm amazed at all the vacuums some have owned.

Always thought a vacuum was a one time purchase... at least they are in my family.
Vacuums, like most other consumer products nowadays just don't last. My grandparents had the same hoover vacuum for 40 years. Today you're lucky to get a couple of years out of it until you have to chuck it in the landfill, because fixing things is generally more expensive than replacing.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:32 AM

118 posts, read 131,925 times
Quote:
OP wrote: Help me find the best vacuum!
I also wrote inexpensive on the message box.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Vacuums, like most other consumer products nowadays just don't last. My grandparents had the same hoover vacuum for 40 years. Today you're lucky to get a couple of years out of it until you have to chuck it in the landfill, because fixing things is generally more expensive than replacing.
Maybe why have had such good luck with hand-me-downs and giveaways...

Great Grandma's Electrolux from the 1930's is still used all the time at the cabin... also have a rotary phone there too!

A couple of years ago I set up a clean up day for an apartment I manage... one of the tenants put out an Electrolux vacuum with powerhead and attachments.

I stopped her and asked if she was going to get rid of it... she said yes, it was her mothers and was just taking up space...

It is now my garage vac... works perfect and I could not believe my good fortune.

I really and truly believe a person can do quite will with others castoffs...

As a nation we really do get rid of a lot simply because we can...

Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
My Hoover Wind Tunnel Series 7 (about $100, about 4 or 5 years ago) simply can't be beat. Best suction of any vacuum I've ever owned. Lightweight too. Nothing to look at, and not something to "show off" to your friends, but, baby, it does the job! [order extra belts and keep them in a zip lock bag to prevent drying out - and, btw, that goes for any upright vacuum).

Dyson and similar newfangled vacuum cleaners are just eye candy designed to dig deeper into your wallet. They serve no other purpose.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymurriano View Post
I bought a Miele canister last year. It is by far the best vacuum I have owned. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Build quality and power are phenomenal. Also, it's not very loud.

Miele canisters come in many different flavors and range in price from $350-$2000. The one I have is priced at $400. Yes it is more than you'd like to spend, but they are worth every penny.
I bought the top of the line Miela, and I love it! Great power, suction, and very quiet. It was expensive at $1500 but you get what you pay for.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruvrice11 View Post
I also wrote inexpensive on the message box.
The Shark rocket upright vacuum. It get's very good reviews but the only drawback is that the
dust cup is small so it has to be emptied frequently and the attachment bar is kind of short.
Otherwise, it works well on carpeting and wood floors and with a coupon from BB&B it cost me
under $180.00 (with tax).

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/imag...id=480&hei=480

Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM

118 posts, read 131,925 times
Thank you all so much for your response. I appreciate all the different suggestions and opinions. I found a couple that meets our needs when it comes to hardwood and pets.

One is the Shark Navigator Lift-away pro and the other one is the Hoover WindTunnel 3 high performance pet. Both have a on/off brush roll switch for hardwood floors, HEPA filter and pet brush attachment.

The Shark Navigator has a lot of good reviews on Amazon but it's made in China(ugh, why is everything have to be made in China) and the Hoover is proudly made in USA(at least that's what it says on the description) which I love but has mixed reviews so I am very torn between the two.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:32 PM

743 posts, read 877,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I would have to disagree with this. A vacuum is something that needs regular maintenance to function properly. I clean my vacuum, check the belts, cut of anything that is wrapped around the beater bars etc, clean the filter pads, tip it upside down to remove any debris that fell inside. I'm going on 16 years with my "old" vacuum. Bought it at Costco--a Hoover Windtunnel. It's been a great vacuum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House