Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:36 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times

Advertisements

Ok, I need some advice. I've got water seepage, and ruined flooring.

I've got an exterior ground level door. It is actually the primary door we use for exit/entry. It is an inch or two above ground level / driveway level. It has an extension of the house pad as an entry base. Foundation is poured concrete, circa 1974, location MA. Probably has some modest reinforcement inside. I don't know how to judge, one way or the other.

So, water has been seeping under the door sill, and has rotted the manufactured flooring inside. A few years back I put some filler under the door sill, at the exterior, to prevent moisture penetration. Looks like it didn't work.

Do I need to remove the door to figure out what the heck is going on, and then to fix it? Any recommendations on how to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 08:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Ok, I need some advice. I've got water seepage, and ruined flooring.

I've got an exterior ground level door. It is actually the primary door we use for exit/entry. It is an inch or two above ground level / driveway level. It has an extension of the house pad as an entry base. Foundation is poured concrete, circa 1974, location MA. Probably has some modest reinforcement inside. I don't know how to judge, one way or the other.

So, water has been seeping under the door sill, and has rotted the manufactured flooring inside. A few years back I put some filler under the door sill, at the exterior, to prevent moisture penetration. Looks like it didn't work.

Do I need to remove the door to figure out what the heck is going on, and then to fix it? Any recommendations on how to fix?
I would think you need to redirect the water that is flowing toward the door... on the outside.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
First, find a way to redirect water outside from coming inside. Then pull the door and replace the rot. Then fix your floor.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I would think you need to redirect the water that is flowing toward the door... on the outside.
Thanks. Good thought - it would require me building an entryway roof. No other way to do that without completely re-landscaping, tearing out the driveway and lowering the grade outside the door.

An entryway roof is something that might happen. Next year at best. So, meanwhile, I guess I have to remove the door and see how bad the damage is.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
French drain?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Thanks. Good thought - it would require me building an entryway roof. No other way to do that without completely re-landscaping, tearing out the driveway and lowering the grade outside the door.

An entryway roof is something that might happen. Next year at best. So, meanwhile, I guess I have to remove the door and see how bad the damage is.

You're really over-thinking this.

This type of leak is usually due to driving rain and/or splashing. You could considerably reduce the amount of water that gets to the door with an awning. Another item that can help is a drip edge at the bottom edge of the door. These, along a correctly adjusted threshold, an undamaged sweep, and correctly installed weatherstripping will certainly keep water out.

Once you establish a cover that will reduce the induction of water- you can start doing repairs.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
We had a similar problem and solved it with a storm door.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You're really over-thinking this.

This type of leak is usually due to driving rain and/or splashing. You could considerably reduce the amount of water that gets to the door with an awning. Another item that can help is a drip edge at the bottom edge of the door. These, along a correctly adjusted threshold, an undamaged sweep, and correctly installed weatherstripping will certainly keep water out.

Once you establish a cover that will reduce the induction of water- you can start doing repairs.
This is great advice!

It's very easy to panic or over think small issues when the small issue creates huge damage (or at least in ones mind).

Old 10-11-2018, 07:17 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
A relative put an awning over her entry door. Problem solved.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Exterior doors without a roof or covering above them allowing direct rain driving into them are always a problem. Best solution is to put a roof over it. Another thing is the outside porch or concrete should always be lower than the inside floor level. If they are the same level, water is naturally going to try to seep under and around the door. There are now doors with "no rot" jambs and brick mold made out of composite material that do not deteriorate giving water ways to seep in around the sill. A storm door can usually solves a lot of problems where driving rain hits a door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House