Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times

Advertisements

I have 3 teens living with me. I don't know what the heck they are doing, but my kitchen ceiling keeps getting wet from the upstairs bath. I really need advice.

I have called a plumber, he says its not the pipes. Doesn't appear to be caulk fail. Not toilet or sink. His opinion is that they are getting water on the floor and its working its way between tub and floor. He says once water finds a path, it will always go down that path.

Tub itself is one piece. Every time I go in there, the floor is wet.

The floor is ceramic tile (really old, decades old) and there are loose tiles and cracked grout on the floor. Would that be enough to allow water to pass thru?

FWIW, I am having floors replaced in very near future.

I re-caulked area between tub and floor, but maybe I didn't do it good enough? I'm planning to redo all caulking just to be safe.

They are banned from that bathroom while I decide what to do.

At this point, I'm still trying to decide if it's really them or if I should call another plumber.

Edited to add: yeah, they are helping to pay for all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 01:51 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
Yeah my son was TERRIBLE at keeping the shower curtain closed or the liner INSIDE the shower. Actually got water from his bathroom into my bedroom on the other side of a wall. I got one of those splash guards, the BIG ones. Installed it. Problem solved. (He also grew up and moved out. That may have really solved it). Kudos for making them pay for the repairs.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:52 PM

22,585 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Are they not making sure the shower liner is in place?

Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Old grout on the tiles surrounding the tub?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
Yeah my son was TERRIBLE at keeping the shower curtain closed or the liner INSIDE the shower. Actually got water from his bathroom into my bedroom on the other side of a wall. I got one of those splash guards, the BIG ones. Installed it. Problem solved. (He also grew up and moved out. That may have really solved it). Kudos for making them pay for the repairs.
If you happen to get a chance, could you link the splash guards? At this point, I'm debating getting those doors that you can install on top of the tub.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Are they not making sure the shower liner is in place?
I go in after them and the liner is on the inside. But, really, your guess is probably as good as mine. I just don't know how they're getting so much water everywhere.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:16 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Yes, water can be getting through the cracked tiles and grout joints. Since your kitchen ceiling is already getting wet, and eventually moldy, why not cut a hole where the stain is and take a look from underneath?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I would put a sliding shower door in and tell them to dry themselves off in the tub before stepping out and put some bathroom rugs to absorb any extra water while they finish toweling themselves off.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:35 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I go in after them and the liner is on the inside. But, really, your guess is probably as good as mine. I just don't know how they're getting so much water everywhere.
But did they pull it across the tub, or just leave it pushed aside ?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would put a sliding shower door in and tell them to dry themselves off in the tub before stepping out and put some bathroom rugs to absorb any extra water while they finish toweling themselves off.
I agree, obviously they are not closing the shower curtain correctly. Install shower doors, and be done with it. One question tho; Are they very tall? Maybe they are pushing the shower head up enough to get over the curtain rod?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House