Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Google Thanksgiving, autumn lights, etal and you'll see many interesting lighting and themes.
I'm not looking for string lights, but colored light bulbs to put in our front light fixtures. There isn't really a place on the front of our house to hang string lights; we tried it one Christmas and it looked awful. In our backyard we will put icicle lights on the back fence for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 12:50 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Get something like this color changing LED light bulb - you can choose any color you want, mixing, etc. You can test out which colors look good at night, and change accordingly, and depending on your neighbors. There are many different brands, so read the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/MagicLight-Bl...led+light+bulb

Old 11-05-2016, 05:02 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Yes, I love to install colored light bulbs in our outdoor light fixtures for different holidays. From mid-September until today, we had orange and black light bulbs for Halloween.

Now, for Thanksgiving, we have kept our orange light bulbs up, but replaced the black light bulbs with red ones. Right now I am debating this color combo, since the orange/red combo looks a bit fiery. I did choose red to minimize the amount of swaps, since after Thanksgiving I can leave the red bulbs up and swap out the orange bulbs for green ones. One of the two red bulbs is in a ceiling can light.

Ideally the color for Thanksgiving would be brown, but no brown light bulbs exist and would look awful anyway. Perhaps I should use yellow instead of red (I currently don't have any yellow bulbs, unfortunately). My mother also suggested to use an orange/green combo, but one of our neighbors used that combo for Halloween.

What would be your suggestions?
Warm white or natural gas flames.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Get something like this color changing LED light bulb - you can choose any color you want, mixing, etc. You can test out which colors look good at night, and change accordingly, and depending on your neighbors. There are many different brands, so read the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/MagicLight-Bl...led+light+bulb
The things they come up with!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM

Now that we put up our Halloween lights again, once Halloween is over, I think now is the time to revisit the subject for Thanksgiving lights. Earlier this year, I bought yellow bulbs for Easter and used them in combination with pink bulbs. In an earlier post in this thread, somebody suggested using red, yellow, and orange bulbs for Thanksgiving instead of just red and orange as I did last year.

Now what to debate is in what order to put them. There are four light fixtures. I would prefer to put a red bulb up in the overhead can light for I won't have to swap it on Black Friday for Christmas. I am thinking of perhaps doing Orange-Red-Yellow-Red.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Wow, I thought I was the only one who had this idea! LOL. I just came across this thread on Page 5 of "New Posts" since I am bored with the ones I subscribe to and was just scanning for some interesting new subjects.

Just last Monday I was able to do some fall decorating on the outside of my home. I had been to an estate sale last year and purchased some loose colored light bulbs in a plastic covered container. I purchased them for $3.00 with the thought of putting them in the lights outside my home. I have 3 light fixtures, two on the front porch, one on the garage. As with you, I gave some thought into what color went in what fixture, with the thought that next month is Halloween and I would swap out a bulb or two. This is what I did.

Orange in the fixture next to the door, yellow on the other side of the porch. Yellow on the outside of the garage, since from the street or sidewalk one will only see the yellow on the garage and the orange next to the door. For Halloween I will replace the yellow on the garage for an orange, effectively only showing the two orange bulbs for Halloween. At Thanksgiving I will put a yellow next to the door, orange on the other side of the porch, and orange back on the garage. For Christmas I will replace all three with red and green bulbs.

I had fun writing this, because it is so "obsessive" that most people will think I am "not well in the head". I realize how it is looked at by those who are "normal" (read: serious), I look at it as funny that I give something so insignificant so much thought. It is fun, and only fun!

The soft colors coming into my kitchen, however, are soothing, like Christmas tree lights being on in an otherwise darkened room. It is peaceful and calming and enjoyable. I now leave my porch/garage lights on from 8-11 at night. Looks nice from the street and sidewalk as well. I recommend it for the fall holidays.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only one who had this idea! LOL. I just came across this thread on Page 5 of "New Posts" since I am bored with the ones I subscribe to and was just scanning for some interesting new subjects.

Just last Monday I was able to do some fall decorating on the outside of my home. I had been to an estate sale last year and purchased some loose colored light bulbs in a plastic covered container. I purchased them for $3.00 with the thought of putting them in the lights outside my home. I have 3 light fixtures, two on the front porch, one on the garage. As with you, I gave some thought into what color went in what fixture, with the thought that next month is Halloween and I would swap out a bulb or two. This is what I did.

Orange in the fixture next to the door, yellow on the other side of the porch. Yellow on the outside of the garage, since from the street or sidewalk one will only see the yellow on the garage and the orange next to the door. For Halloween I will replace the yellow on the garage for an orange, effectively only showing the two orange bulbs for Halloween. At Thanksgiving I will put a yellow next to the door, orange on the other side of the porch, and orange back on the garage. For Christmas I will replace all three with red and green bulbs.

I had fun writing this, because it is so "obsessive" that most people will think I am "not well in the head". I realize how it is looked at by those who are "normal" (read: serious), I look at it as funny that I give something so insignificant so much thought. It is fun, and only fun!

The soft colors coming into my kitchen, however, are soothing, like Christmas tree lights being on in an otherwise darkened room. It is peaceful and calming and enjoyable. I now leave my porch/garage lights on from 8-11 at night. Looks nice from the street and sidewalk as well. I recommend it for the fall holidays.
Yellow and orange might work, but then that adds an extra swap for the overhead can light (which I would need a ladder) for Christmas which I am trying to avoid, so I would prefer to include at least one red bulb. The red bulb up there is supposed to last through three holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentine's Day).

Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Just as an update, this is what I am currently considering:
  • Orange in the courtyard and right side of the garage.
  • Red in the overhead can light.
  • Yellow on the left side of the garage.
From left to right, the order is Orange-Red-Yellow-Orange.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have never seen burgundy light bulbs before, so that's out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=burg...U3PKejUE0HA8M:

https://www.bulbamerica.com/collecti...gundy/50-bulbs

Back in?

Orange is taken - halloween.

Yellow is a bug light.

Brown? Who wants brown light bulbs? If it is brown, flush it down.

Green and Red is Christmas.

Leaving Purple and Burgundy for the perfect Thanksgiving colors.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=burg...U3PKejUE0HA8M:

https://www.bulbamerica.com/collecti...gundy/50-bulbs

Back in?

Orange is taken - halloween.

Yellow is a bug light.

Brown? Who wants brown light bulbs? If it is brown, flush it down.

Green and Red is Christmas.

Leaving Purple and Burgundy for the perfect Thanksgiving colors.
Who says colors have to be unique to one holiday? While there are colors that I associate more to one holiday than another, I don't have to make them exclusive to one holiday. I use red for both Christmas and Valentine's Day, in combination with green for Christmas and with pink for Valentine's Day. Last year I did red and orange for Thanksgiving, and this year I am thinking of adding yellow into the mix.

As for purple, my black light bulbs that I am currently using for Halloween alongside orange already look kind of purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House