Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:17 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
If you want to stay with electric, one of these styles works well: Pelonis 1500-Watt Digital Oil-Filled Radiant Portable Heater with Remote Control-NY1507-14A - The Home Depot

They are oil filled, so continue to put out heat for a while even when they are cycled off.
yup... same brand we use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:47 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet - what about an electric blanket on the bed? At least for sleeping times, this is way more cost-effective than a portable resistance heater.
I suggested an electric blanket, or better yet, electric mattress pad. Some people are nervous about electricity in bed, whether it is EM fields, fire, or electric shock. Electric mattress pad turned on before you go to bed is great for taking the chill off, and makes a memory foam mattress feel like a heated waterbed (without the waves).

Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I suggested an electric blanket, or better yet, electric mattress pad. Some people are nervous about electricity in bed, whether it is EM fields, fire, or electric shock. Electric mattress pad turned on before you go to bed is great for taking the chill off, and makes a memory foam mattress feel like a heated waterbed (without the waves).

This the most sensible. I bought my first electric blanket when moving to a colder climate. I never have to raise it above the lowest setting. It turns itself off after a few hours.

Also, my daughter was always too cold. I bought a space heater for her bedroom, "Holmes" brand at Target...120v, 1500w. It has a thermostat, a fan, rotates 180° back & forth. We called it R2-D2, that's sort of what it looks like. It was very effective, & not pricey to run (electricity was expensive in our prior location). It's over 10 yrs. old & spouse still uses it occasionally in his work area of the garage in winter.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:05 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
I'm a fan of the heated mattress pads. Have had them for the last 10 years and they make for cozy sleeping in a bedroom that I like to keep at 65F in the winter.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:48 AM

516 posts, read 429,632 times
Put a wood stove in the room. Those are cheap to run, and can be found on craigslist all day.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:36 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Thumbs down Personally, I think those tacked-on steel external chimney's are really ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Put a wood stove in the room. Those are cheap to run, and can be found on craigslist all day.
For a room that never had a chimney, what would the cost be to add a chimney for a wood stove to a 1-story house?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Thank you, all, for your suggestions. Already use an electric blanket but that doesn't heat the air in the room so it's still cold and I don't sleep with my head under the covers ;-). Winter temps can get down to well below zero some years. Some methods suggested which are not options for me (ie., wood or pellet stove) in the bedroom but may help others. Can't do venting so looking only at other options here. Still looks like other options will cause my electric bill to spike to $400/mo, however. Maybe my electric wall heaters makes as much sense as say, the oil filled heaters....but I still might get the one from Home Depot, and one for the master bath, too.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 PM

516 posts, read 429,632 times
Quote:
For a room that never had a chimney, what would the cost be to add a chimney for a wood stove to a 1-story house?
I'm not sure. Sometimes cost doesn't matter to me when it comes to things that need to be done. I just do it.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Depends, for masonry chimney masons are not cheap. They need footer for it so there is a lot work below ground. In my area it could be $3K+ and that's before you get into nice exterior to cover the blocks. Since you are in the Northeast consider coal, may sound crazy but you will be surprised what you find if you research it. Far easier to use than wood, usually cheaper if you are buying the wood and you don't have to worry about chimney fires. Some of the smaller coal stokers can be power vented but it's not something I'd recommend unless it was last resort. Avoid metal chimney's/liners, you want clay lined chimney with coal and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-16-2016 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
To reiterate what a prior post said on this, all electric heat costs the same- oil filled radiators use exactly the same amount of electricity as fan-forced heaters, radiant panel heaters, etc.

The only way to have efficient electric heat is by way of a heat pump, but window units aren't efficient below ~30 degrees so it's not a good solution for a bedroom that needs heat at night during the winter.

One slightly dumb solution is a window-mount pellet stove. It looks and installs like a window-mount AC unit but heats using pellets. It's a great concept, but apparently the only one on the market isn't very good per the Amazon reviews.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP- I have one super cold room and want to heat it up, but electric heat (in any form) is terribly wasteful. I have natural gas running to the other side of the house but don't want to run a gas line, so I've looked into all the weird options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House