Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,787 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - I have a problem that I fully own up to. We live in a rental in New York - a very badly maintained rental (constant problems that are ignored, rarely do we have heat, etc) but it's an affordable place in a very expensive city so we put up with it and fix many things ourselves. We're moving in a few months into a house and today we found when we lifted a carpet that our elderly dog has left black stains in the wood. She's been ill for weeks, and we had a tarp and puppy pads down whenever we left home, but somehow some urine got under it. The floors are already in bad shape (we have pictures from move in) with black spots all over the floors, scuffing and we don't believe they've been sealed or treated for years which means even a wet shoe leaves a mark after a half hour. Either way, this is our fault and we take full responsibility. We tried the hydrogen peroxide trick one application and it's lightened but it's turned kinda grey.

Any suggestions for the best way to fix this? The right way is to rip up the wood, but if we can make the spot look better, we don't believe the landlord will care (this is just given how badly kept up the rest of the apartment is), but we want to do what we can. We also realize we may lose our deposit (1850), but should we attempt to sand and refinish this ourselves to see if we can recoup some costs?

Here are pictures before and after one application of hydrogen peroxide.

I know this is bad and I know it's my responsibility - I just want any advice on how to deal with this going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:50 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Hey, you have nothing to lose in trying the thousand and one different DIY options posted on the internet. When I asked the older gent who refinished my floors (started his own business 40 years ago), he said there was no fix. You simply can't sand it out because it gets too deep and you sacrifice the flooring stability (meaning it'll split if you get too thin).

But try more peroxide, soak the area, put a soaked rag on top and then plastic wrap on top of that and tape it all down to form a seal for over-night. Not like you're going to make things any worse.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM

I figured that's my reality. Any one have any idea how much replacing a few boards and refinishing a 150Sq ft room would cost?

Old 11-24-2016, 02:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Location is probably not going to work in your favor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieClush View Post
I figured that's my reality. Any one have any idea how much replacing a few boards and refinishing a 150Sq ft room would cost?
If you were in a lower cost area you MIGHT be able to find something that would do this for just a few hundred dollars but in NYC (or other high cost areas) you might be locating at thousands.

The damage seems severe so it might make sense to make a poultice of oxalic acid, laet is set for a while and see how much it "bleaches out" the stain...

Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Just do the best you can, then kiss your security deposit goodbye.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
An OldHouse web link....and there were several more that came up when searching how to remove dark urine stains from hardwood, including youtube videos. Good luck.

Best Solutions for Removing Old Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors | Old House Web

Last edited by JanND; 11-24-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 05:06 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,703 times
Sand and stain several shades darker.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:09 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I think you may have two main choices, lose the security deposit or make repairs on your own. The room is only 150sf (10' x 15' or somesuch) and the floor is a treatment and non-structural, so you may not need permits. (Check first.)

You can try this, in hopes of removing the bad sections, re-laying the existing good ones, and then trying to find a close match for use as a few strips on the most unobtrusive side.
How to Remove Laminate Flooring Without Damaging the Boards | Home Guides | SF Gate

The ones that are stained and damaged are toast. Don't waste your time on them. A complete re-do is the proper repair, and there may have been some leakage under the strips that needs to be addressed, which can't be done with the damaged strips in place.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone. At this point we decided to try a couple more lightening techniques because we have nothing to lose, and prepare ourselves for a lost security deposit.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:13 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Oxalic acid is the only thing which works decently. Not perfect, but it's the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House