Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Sadly they are not worth it from my perspective. We bought one and although it does an OK job it has to run all DAY long because it has to go over spots again and again in order to bump on something to get it going in another direction (think bumper cars). And because it has to run so long, the battery starts going and won;t recharge all the way, then you buy a new battery which costs as much as the machine and it start all over again. Now it sits and collects dust, I'll send it you if you want it

As a vacuum fanatic, I finally got one that I LOVE, it's the shark rocket and it is pretty awesome for any job.

I have three dogs and a cat with both carpet and hardwoods (and stairs). The shark does it all.
You can stop the cycle if you feel it has done it's job by manually docking it. And the filter is just knocked against the side of the dust bin after each use. You blow it out with canned air every so often, which would depend on how hard it is used. It sounds like your roomba isn't working right and perhaps needs a reset. It doesn't really take that long. I think the cycle is an hour before mine docks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What model is your Roomba? I have a 780 and it works it's way through all sorts of wires and has yet to get caught in one.
Mine is a 561, it's an older one. It can get itself untangled from larger cords, but the smaller low voltage type wires will get wrapped up in it. I have to make sure nothing like that is on the floor before I use it.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I'm thinking about getting one. We don't have any pets and tile on all floors except the bedrooms. Sounds like this would be ideal for us!

The noise factor concerns me a bit. Hubby telecommutes. I suppose we could just close his office door. That would probably have to happen anyway. He has at least three computers and probably a mile of cords and wires in there.

Question: How noisy are these?
I found both my 500 series roomba and my 805 series to be quieter than any regular vacuum I had ever had. It is possible to let the roomba run and still watch TV without turning up the volume too much and I also can speak on the phone when it is running, although I don't stand directly over the roomba when I'm speaking. But the roomba doesn't have to be programmed to run at a specific time. I generally run mine when I have time and am around so if there is something happening at that moment where a roomba would be a distraction, I wouldn't run it then.

I am leery of computer cords and roombas and I block them off with something to prevent the roomba from going there and vacuum that area with a regular vacuum every so often.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am not sure why anyone has dog poop on their floor, I have two dogs and they have never pooped on the floor. They were confined to a small area until they were housebroken and they are now 7 and 8 years old and have never had an accident in the house.
I was wondering about that myself.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I found both my 500 series roomba and my 805 series to be quieter than any regular vacuum I had ever had. It is possible to let the roomba run and still watch TV without turning up the volume too much and I also can speak on the phone when it is running, although I don't stand directly over the roomba when I'm speaking. But the roomba doesn't have to be programmed to run at a specific time. I generally run mine when I have time and am around so if there is something happening at that moment where a roomba would be a distraction, I wouldn't run it then.

I am leery of computer cords and roombas and I block them off with something to prevent the roomba from going there and vacuum that area with a regular vacuum every so often.
Thank you. That does help when comparing it to a regular vacuum sound. More than likely, Hubby's office door will be shut during the operating of the Roomba, if we decide to get one. We probably will since Hubby has been talking to me about getting one and I've resisted. This new house is so big and has so much floor space, I am really thinking about giving him the go ahead.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:57 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I have 4 Irobots different models I use them daily to clean a 3115 sq ft house. I love them. They save on my back and spine. Since injuring my back again I bought the Irobot Braava mop 380t, its fantastic!! Its just my husband and me with 3 small dogs. Roomba keeps my house looking great!! And I dont have to pay someone to clean. Using them daily with allergenic air filters I only have to dust once a week. And even then we have little dust I love it!! I can only say good things about them.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
For those who are concerned about hanging cords, I have a solution that has worked very well for me.

I dislike seeing hanging cords or even just knowing they're lurking behind or under furniture. So I put Command hooks on the backs of my computer desk, dressers and nightstands and I hang or wrap any cords (TV, clock, computer, etc) on the hooks. For the back of the computer desk, I have multiple hooks and, because the cords are so numerous and heavy, I use heavy-duty double-faced tape instead of the tape that comes with the hooks.

I dont have photos of the setup behind the desk, bureau (the hooks there hold the wall-mounted TV and cable wires) or nightstands, but I do have a photo of a Command hook that I adhered to the back of my coffeemaker to hide the excess electrical cord:

Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
if they are worth it, which models perform the best? especially in a household with 2 adults, 4 cats and one dog. we all live in a 3-bedroom, 2-bath rental home with carpeting in all bedrooms

also most robot vacuums are circular in shape. how do they get to the corners? will the square ones do better in that respect?
Roombas are crap in my oopinion... they are just a random thing.

Use one with a guidance system. Roombas are also expensive for what they are.

Xiaomi Vacuum is a marvel to see! Also the Neato ones... But Xiaomi is now the best performer hands down and it costs only 300 dollars.

I have a house with 2 dogs and 1 cat and it works pretty good. It removes all hair from carpet and hardwood.

Before it, every 2-3 days my wife was vacuuming the floor. Now, there is no need for it. We only mop the floor once a week now. And the robot does a better job at cleaning the hair than we did simply because it goes even under couches and furniture.

We have it scheduled for every 2-3 days.

I wouldnt spend the overprice $$$ on Roombas... but for 300 dollars I think its worth it. Go for a Xiaomi if you can. It really is that good. The con is you have to order from gearbest since they are not sold directly in the USA. The alternative if you want something sold in USA is Neato. You can get coupons from major stores that can bring it down to the 300 level as well even though their price tag is in the 500s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxWcujUgkk

Last edited by Lusitano_; 01-03-2017 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM

560 posts, read 599,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yeah instead of vaccuming your house in a half hour with a regular vacuum let the roomba do one room in 6 hours no thanks.
My Xiaomi does a 1300 sq ft house in 75 minutes...

Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We have had four of them. There are good and bad aspects. However we will not buy another due to the biggest bad aspect - batteries die and cost more than a roomba to replace.

Here are the good and bad we found:

1. They pick up pet hair better than any vacuum we have ever had.

2. The will not pick up bird seed much at all, just scatter it around.

3. They are not for deep cleaning type vacuuming. Just a daily clean up. They work very well for daily clean up.

4. We have ten area rugs. if you tuck the fringe under, the roombas do fine with them. If you do not tuck the fringe in, it will get stuck and potentially damage the rug and/or roomba. If you have a really thick area rug and/or thick padding, the roomba might get stuck, but we only ever had one rug with a problem.

5. Sometimes when you clean them out, stuff goes all over the place. When you empty them - do it outside.

6. While the poo concept is funny or icky depending on perspective, our solution was do not have pets poo on the floor. That is flipping disgusting. if you did have pets pooing ont he floor, clean it up, why would you leave it for roomba?

7. You definitely want the one that returns to its base and recharges itself and cleans on a schedule. The remote control one is stupid and a waste of money (plus you will lose the remote eventually).

8. You really need a separate roomba for each major room/area to have truly automated cleaning. Or you can just run a roomba in the major common areas.

9. Cords - not a problem. Clothing ont he floor with strings, fringe, rope belts etc - problem. Sizable feathers - problem.

10. Dogs and cats love or fear them. Birds will destroy them if they can get at them.

11. The get stuck under furniture with low hanging braces or supports. Sometimes, you have no idea where Roomba is, it is just stuck under some piece of furniture someplace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House