Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
I love my induction burners. The best control I have ever had.
That's great that you like them. I love my gas burners. And that's great too! Everybody wins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:37 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
I just brought this up in the Food forum. I have had to cook and bake with electric (one of those solid glass top stoves) for the past 6 years after cooking on natural gas my entire life and I HATE it! The heat control is uneven. I constantly have pots boil over and I have yet to get a decent roast chicken from the oven. Plus, I am constantly burning myself...never had that happen with gas. I also keep burning my cooking utensils & spoon rests, as there is no defined "heat boundary" on a glass cooktop...just hot all over.

Regarding safety...where I lived, most people had gas, except for a few condos and apartments, and I never heard of a gas explosion, even though this was "earthquake land". Also, natural gas has an odor...it is actually an additive which serves as a warning. I had an idiot neighbor who put in a fence without checking in advance where the underground lines were...he punctured a gas pipe, it could be smelled immediately, and the gas co. was out right away to repair it. While the repair crew was there, I talked to them & they explained that the chance of explosion was slim to none.

Also, I think electric is much more dangerous because you really don't see or hear if you have accidentally left a burner, or the entire oven on with electric, as you do with gas...and that has happened to me several times already.

Also, there has to be a good reason why professional chefs prefer cooking with gas, right?

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 02-25-2017 at 11:54 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's great that you like them. I love my gas burners. And that's great too! Everybody wins!
Induction is amazing, but unfortunately out of the price range of the average American. It's probably my ideal too, but I simply can't afford it. My current place has electric and I would prefer gas for the price range I can afford as ceramic is absolutely terrible to clean. Induction is much easier since you can wipe it up immediately instead of having to wait. It's also a lot faster than standard electric.

I'm in Florida and have seen lots of new construction (both apartments and homes) that have offered gas over the past 15 years. People still want it for cooking and in north Florida for heating as many cities in the northern part of Florida still have relatively expensive electricity rates. You can also have gas for flash water heaters, which gets harder up in north Florida as the water temperatures can get too low for electric to effectively work.

For people saying that natural gas has an odor, that is not strictly true. The odor is put in for safety reasons. If we had it in its natural state, it would be odorless, but since they do put the odor in, everyone knows that it has been left on.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I was told by a lot that they preferred gas fired range and oven when buying a house.
Gas range and electric oven is preferred by most people.

Gas is much more responsive when using the range, when you turn an electric range up or down there is a longer time lapse before the desired temperature is achieved going up or down. Induction electric cooktops are the exception.

Electric is preferred for the oven because it's will provide a much more precisely controlled temperature especially if it's convection oven.

Gas is also going to be about 1/3 the cost of regular electric. Not sure how it compares to induction but it wouldn't surprise me if those costs were very similar.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
It's not always preferred. My wife loves the new JenAire I bought her. In many most.....Modern kitchens people want those flat glass electric types like our JenAire. They're expensive, I paid over five grand . Gas is dangerous and stinky and old. Not any faster that these new flat glass either. That's a myth.

I say glass, but it's prolly a pyrex type of space age composition material. Unknown she uses a special cleaner on it
You need to be more specific when talking glass tops. I assume from the price you mean induction which is not the same as typical glass top. Induction is almost as good as gas and give relatively fine control. The standard glass top, which is what most people mean because it's in the same price range, is a real PITA. Not just because you can't control the heat, but can't clean it either. Also, unlike gas or induction a conventional glass top stays very hot for a long time after use. I''ve taken to covering the used burners with a pan of water after cooking to protect the others who aren't aware --- my wife has put things, including towels, boxes, etc down on the hot burner while setting the table.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:33 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Hardly anybody has gas stoves in this part of Florida. I am also afraid of them. When I lived in New York and heard that "whoosh" when someone lit the pilot light - well that made me realize I would never, ever want a gas stove I don't care how well it cooks.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I was told by a lot that they preferred gas fired range and oven when buying a house. I personally hate gas and always paranoid about the risk. I also hate the high heat that burn my face with gas.

I am getting a new house and wonder if electric cooking appliances would hurt the resell.
Burn your face? You don't put your face near the burners. If you are, you need some cooking lessons!

How do you heat your home? Gas is all over the country without issue. I've had gas in my house almost my entire life and I've lived this long! My grandmother made it into her 80's and a great grandmother made it into her 90's with gas cooking stoves, gas heat, and gas hot water.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I dont prefer it. I hate gas stoves. I find using electric with thick pans is very easy to regulate and no maintenance. With gas parts break/go bad. Wont hurt resale. If someone wants a new stove they are cheap enough.
Electric stoves have components that break over time as well. Pretty much everything has something in it that will break eventually.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
For me it's all about how much better I like cooking on a gas range: instant hot, instant cold, just way better!

Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 AM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
When we remodeled our kitchen after the flood , we went with a gas range . We never did like the electric cooktops but it was easier to replace them . Once the kitchen got stripped down to the studs and the gas line was more accessible it was an easy retrofit . We'll never go back to electric .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House