Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:43 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

The part of the code you are referencing is the position of the "termination" as it is related to "other openings"-

This diagram should suffice for an explanation:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Code says it a range exhaust must be 3 feet from a "operable or non-operable" opening. So would my glass block window be "non-operable"? Or does non-operable mean things like soffit vents.
Some definitions may help. An opening in a wall is a cutout. An operable opening is one that opens, such as a window or door. A non-operable (the actual term is "inoperable") is an opening that does not open, such as a picture window or fixed french door. The confusion comes from the word "opening". Laymen use it to mean something that opens, but in construction, it means an opening in a wall, whether it actually "opens" or not.

[Aside: Whether the window opens enough for egress doesn't matter. If it opens at all, even an inch, it is an "operable opening". If it doesn't open, it is an "inoperable opening". Egress has its own codes.]

What they don't want is something close to a stove that can get blown open, creating a super-fueled fire. That's why they specify "operable or non-operable"; they don't want either.

Now to confuse the icing on a cake: Real glass block (not that fake plastic kind) is considered a masonry product, and is part of the wall. They do not open, and are covered by brick codes, not window codes. However, some fire codes may treat them as windows. So you need to check with your local code enforcement for your answer.

Bottom line: I have probably educated you, but sadly not given you an answer.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM

This is not "education"; this misinformation-

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
What they don't want is something close to a stove that can get blown open, creating a super-fueled fire. That's why they specify "operable or non-operable"; they don't want either.

The purpose of termination locations as they pertain to openings is to prevent CO from being drawn back into the dwelling (especially as it pertains to furnaces, WH's, and gas fueled ranges).

The other is DWV; so odors, and methane are not drawn back inside.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The purpose of termination locations as they pertain to openings is to prevent CO from being drawn back into the dwelling (especially as it pertains to furnaces, WH's, and gas fueled ranges).

The other is DWV; so odors, and methane are not drawn back inside.
You are correct. An additional reason to prohibit operable openings is for the reasons you stated.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Your glass block is 15 inches away from your intended location....You stated code says 3 feet. You already know you are not up to code if you locate your stove vent there.

I think what you are overlooking is that the glass block has already compromised the stability of your block wall basement.....And, as K'LedgeBldr stated previously, CO concerns.

I imagine that is the reasoning behind the 3ft distance from any opening.....operational or non-operational.

You should have an inspection done prior to making a costly mistake.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your glass block is 15 inches away from your intended location....You stated code says 3 feet. You already know you are not up to code if you locate your stove vent there.

I think what you are overlooking is that the glass block has already compromised the stability of your block wall basement.....And, as K'LedgeBldr stated previously, CO concerns.

I imagine that is the reasoning behind the 3ft distance from any opening.....operational or non-operational.

Glass block is not considered an "opening" in anyway. It's merely a different type of "wall" material- just because it can let light in doesn't make it an "opening".

Old 04-05-2017, 09:27 AM

320 posts, read 512,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

You don't know the details of my basement. I have a poured concrete basement wall with a pony wall (about 24") above it. The windows are within the pony wall section. The structural integrity of the wall is from the pony wall and the lintel above the window, not the window itself as they were originally single pane windows (house is 85 years old).

Beyond that, the question is whether a glass block window counts as an "opening" or not. I know its too close if it is considered an opening, but only the city can tell me if it counts as one. Most people here said it doesn't, but clearly I'll go by the what code enforcement says.

As I've already stated, I planned on calling the city to confirm before I cut into the wall. I actually did call them yesterday afternoon but the inspectors were all out so they said to email and I'd get an answer within 48 hours. That time is up tomorrow about 4pm pacific time, so I'll be sure to come back and post what they said.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Some definitions may help. An opening in a wall is a cutout. An operable opening is one that opens, such as a window or door. A non-operable (the actual term is "inoperable") is an opening that does not open, such as a picture window or fixed french door. The confusion comes from the word "opening". Laymen use it to mean something that opens, but in construction, it means an opening in a wall, whether it actually "opens" or not.

[Aside: Whether the window opens enough for egress doesn't matter. If it opens at all, even an inch, it is an "operable opening". If it doesn't open, it is an "inoperable opening". Egress has its own codes.]

Now to confuse the icing on a cake: Real glass block (not that fake plastic kind) is considered a masonry product, and is part of the wall. They do not open, and are covered by brick codes, not window codes. However, some fire codes may treat them as windows. So you need to check with your local code enforcement for your answer.

Good luck!
Ha! Thanks, this is one of the more informative posts here. I did call the city yesterday but they wanted me to email (everyone was busy) so I should have my answer by tomorrow afternoon. I'll come back and post what they say so everyone knows.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Good luck!
And after reading your post I went back to the local code and searched "glass block" in the definitions section and "glass block" is definitely listed under the "masonry" section with brick, tile, and stone so (fingers crossed) I should be in the clear!

I'll post an update once I hear back from the city.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Fingers crossed, looking forward to hearing good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House